Sign in to follow this  
1480x3

6 row mounted picker on 1486

Recommended Posts

Does anybody recall a 6 row picker mounted on a 1486 on display at a late 70s farm progress show in Indiana ?  Seems like it was Vemeer yellowish in color. Any info or pictures out there. If I'm losing it tell me guys. Maybe it was just a dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vermeer ad says you move the steering wheel and turn the tractor seat around???? How do you operate the clutch??? Yeah, right. I'll have some of what they're smoking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I recall seeing was mounted to drive the tractor forward, which the info says is possible. Thanks for the info IHFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rick G. said:

The Vermeer ad says you move the steering wheel and turn the tractor seat around???? How do you operate the clutch??? Yeah, right. I'll have some of what they're smoking.

The ad says that's all you have to do AFTER you have the cab conversion kit installed  I wonder what was all involved with the conversion kit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, R190 said:

The ad says that's all you have to do AFTER you have the cab conversion kit installed  I wonder what was all involved with the conversion kit.

 

It seems like a Hydro would be suited for this.  A bit simpler than converting a gear drive.  Then again there are the New Holland/Ford/Versatile bi-directionals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think it would be awful slow in today’s 250 bpa corn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i would be more interested in seeing the interior after a conversion than the picker.  "Farmers who dont what to invest in a combine"..... in the late 70s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they sell any? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Yeah i would be more interested in seeing the interior after a conversion than the picker.  "Farmers who dont what to invest in a combine"..... in the late 70s?

A 66 series would be A LOT easier to change over than an 86 series I would have to imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious also if they built/sold any? The brochure says 1988. Is that the date as opposed to late '70's? But the real question is, how do you get into the cab of that 86 series??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 12_Guy said:

Curious also if they built/sold any? The brochure says 1988. Is that the date as opposed to late '70's? But the real question is, how do you get into the cab of that 86 series??

Once you get in you don’t get out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's part of the conversion kit you install an operator !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Vermeer announced a 6-row picker, but I thought it was a front-mount. I doubt they hardly sold any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It tells about it on Farm Show. It also says they used to make pull-type pickers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be curious as to what was involved in turning the operator around. Seems it would be ideal to mount a mower and have a “self propelled “ mower with just the cost of a kit.

Perfect for snowblowers too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lightninboy said:

 It also says they used to make pull-type pickers.

Vermeer did make pull-type pickers in the 1980s. A guy around here had one(probably still has it, I haven't seen it in years). Said at the time he bought it he was looking at either it or a John Deere 300 PT picker and he choose the Vermeer because it was considerably cheaper. He used it for many years.

Around here in the 1980s through early 2000s several guys picked corn to sell to West River South Dakota ranchers who always seemed to pay good $$$ for ear corn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SDman said:

West River South Dakota ranchers who always seemed to pay good $$$ for ear corn.

They still do. I presold mine this year and last for $125/ton. Got hailed out this year but I don't plan on combining corn in the near future. 

 

 

I actually like the looks of that picker If it could be front mounted

20161012_130024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

They still do. I presold mine this year and last for $125/ton. Got hailed out this year but I don't plan on combining corn in the near future. 

 

 

I actually like the looks of that picker If it could be front mounted

20161012_130024.jpg

So what does  that come to about $4.60/bushel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZachGrant said:

They still do. I presold mine this year and last for $125/ton. Got hailed out this year but I don't plan on combining corn in the near future. 

 

 

I actually like the looks of that picker If it could be front mounted

20161012_130024.jpg

Hey ZachGrant why do guys like that ear corn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

They still do. I presold mine this year and last for $125/ton. Got hailed out this year but I don't plan on combining corn in the near future. 

 

 

I actually like the looks of that picker If it could be front mounted

20161012_130024.jpg

It can be front mounted, the literature says front or rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jass1660 said:

So what does  that come to about $4.60/bushel?

I've always been told it takes 70# of ear corn to make a bushel of shell corn. If my math is right that makes around  $4.38/bushel. Plus I can get my corn out earlier than combining.

8 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Hey ZachGrant why do guys like that ear corn?

It's cheaper than cake (albeit lower protein) and cattle can pick it off the ground when there is snowcover. They lose a lot of corn on the ground if it's not on the ear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Sounds like someone needs a UNI system!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Several guys around here had them just for that reason. They mounted newer corn heads(John Deere 643s or 843s mostly) on the Unis and picked many acres with them. 

 

6 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

I've always been told it takes 70# of ear corn to make a bushel of shell corn. If my math is right that makes around  $4.38/bushel. Plus I can get my corn out earlier than combining.

It's cheaper than cake (albeit lower protein) and cattle can pick it off the ground when there is snowcover. They lose a lot of corn on the ground if it's not on the ear.

That's usually what guys figure around here as well. Haven't really seen much corn picked around here in the last 10 years or so, although I know a couple guys that still pick a little corn with Uni systems-mainly for their own use though.

There always seems to be a market for ear corn out in West River SD-most guys could sell all they could pick back in the day. Those ranchers usually paid good $$$ for hauling it out there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

I've always been told it takes 70# of ear corn to make a bushel of shell corn. If my math is right that makes around  $4.38/bushel. Plus I can get my corn out earlier than combining.

It's cheaper than cake (albeit lower protein) and cattle can pick it off the ground when there is snowcover. They lose a lot of corn on the ground if it's not on the ear.

The cob adds fiber to the mix also. Would like to find a picker or set a combine up with a cob saver sieve just for calf feed. You can grind cob, corn and protein supplement feed in self feeder and calves stay straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this