Fellas,

I have the I.H front rims of 8x16  I know they had Good year 10.00 x16 tri rib on them .

Can I fit a 11.00x16 Firestone tri rib on the 8 inch rims or will that not look right ? Do they make a 11L x16 tri rib?

Tony

5 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Fellas,

I have the I.H front rims of 8x16  I know they had Good year 10.00 x16 tri rib on them .

Can I fit a 11.00x16 Firestone tri rib on the 8 inch rims or will that not look right ? Do they make a 11L x16 tri rib?

Tony

That's what I have on my 806, but they are 11L-16 implement tires. I have looked for a front tractor tire in that size but it does not seem to exist. The rims are 8 X 16 and they look ok, I'm actually happy with the tires as they don't carve up the ground when turning when its wet and soggy. Regular 11 X 16 tri ribs are MUCH taller than 11L X 16 and go on a 10" wide rim. 10 X 16 will fit an 8" rim.

The 11.00x16 tire went on a 10 inch wide by 16 inch wheel.  14Lx16.1 tire went on an 11 inch by 16.1 inch wheel.  Squeezing an 11.00x16 tire on an 8 inch wide rim would pinch it in a lot.  Plus the 11.00x16 Firestone 3-rib has that huge center rib anyhow, a narrower rim would really make that center rib bulge out, a 4-rib not so much.

I checked Miller Tire,  Tom is right, no 3-rib 11Lx16, just implement rib and front loader multi-rib, about 5-6 zig-zag grooves.

Dad did the same thing on his 4010 that Tom did, put 11Lx15 implement tires on it.  The 3-rib fronts were wore almost to slicks, and driving it home from the auction 25-30 miles wore them down thru 2-3 plys. Dad made it about 5 miles into a 20 mile trip to the dealer for a tune-up when the first tire blew. Tierod ends were all wore out but tractor never came close to a front end loader. It did wear a 4 row frt mounted cultivator before and after we got it but a 5 yr old tractor with 2000 hours on the clock being That wore out?  Anyhow, 11Lx15 rib implement tires went on, and wore really well over the 3-4 years we ran it. Any time you turned sharp on headlands you always hit the inside brake, for normal steering to stay on the row, or in a furrow they steered fine, even with no front weights. When steering sharp on grass, whether in the barnyard or hayfield they didn't tear up the ground like a 3-rib would.

LOT of difference in size between a 10.00x16 and 11.00x16 isn't there?

Tony,  I've got 11.00x16 on a couple tractor here with 8" wife rims. I'll drum up some pictures after chores. One has tri-rib, the other is kind of a split tri-rib.

Tony I see 11:00 x16s on 8  inch rims every once in a while on an IH tractor it can really bulge the tire and looks terrible in my opinion. Also had a 1486 in the shop last week set up that way and the little stop on the outside of the axle knee had cut a 1/4 inch groove 2" wide in the sidewall  I took the wheel off got a 10:00 -16 was going to put it on customer said leave it . From the pictures you send I don't think you could tolerate it. You may get by if you use a undersized foreign brand tire .  May I ask why you want to go 11:00 -16? If you had a square axle 50 series you could get by the have more clearance between rim and the axle knee. If you use a combine rim they have more offset than a tractor rim. A lot depends on the tire some brands are smaller than others with the same size. 

A big tractor should have a big front tire. We run 11.00 16 on the JD 4630. And dads 1586 had them new and they were on dads 806 from new not factory But swapped. If you find the right rims they look nice. If the get close to spindle you can buy a rim repair circle that  you can weld onto back side of rim to space it out and nobody sees it. Combine rims set out to far but work also

IMG_1823.JPG

The 1086 with a loader has firestones and the 186 has some tire made in Turkey. Can't remember the brand. 

20171205_084426.jpg

20171205_090329.jpg

20171205_090347.jpg

1 hour ago, ZachGrant said:

The 1086 with a loader has firestones and the 186 has some tire made in Turkey. Can't remember the brand. 

20171205_084426.jpg

20171205_090329.jpg

20171205_090347.jpg

I like your loader how is it plumbed?

We have 11L16 on most of our 66 series. A few don't but I am going to put a 11L on the 8" rim when it's time. 

We did have 11L16 Firestone three rib on the 1586...... Are they discontinued? 

15 minutes ago, bitty said:

We did have 11L16 Firestone three rib on the 1586...... Are they discontinued? 

I just ran thru all the various 3-rib front tires on Firestones website and 11Lx16 is not available.  They have discontinued a LOT of different tires the last couple years, fronts & rears both.

3 hours ago, mader656 said:

I like your loader how is it plumbed?

Thanks. My dad and I each have a 3100. He has had his since the 80s and it's been used hard and held up very well. Only a few welds. It's plumbed into the remotes. I got mine after the farmhand I had needed more repair than it was worth. I mounted the loader valve to the fender and made rods to hook the levers to the valve.  Quick couplers are right behind the step so it's easy to hook up.

20170503_141457.jpg

20170503_141505.jpg

41 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

Thanks. My dad and I each have a 3100. He has had his since the 80s and it's been used hard and held up very well. Only a few welds. It's plumbed into the remotes. I got mine after the farmhand I had needed more repair than it was worth. I mounted the loader valve to the fender and made rods to hook the levers to the valve.  Quick couplers are right behind the step so it's easy to hook up.

20170503_141457.jpg

20170503_141505.jpg

How much pressure on the quick connects when hooking back up....

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

How much pressure on the quick connects when hooking back up....

if they are too tough to get together I just push them on the loader frame. I would really like to get a block like you see on the newer tractors that use a lever to couple them.

Tony.   The 11.00-16 will look like balloons on those rims.  They will also be really close to or rub the spindle arm stop.   If I was you find some rims and make those beautiful tractors look tough with big rubber!    But... There yours so do what tickles your fancy!

Nate

Thank You Gentlemen !

You just confirmed my thoughts.

It will be Firestone 10.00 x16's  tri Rib. on 8x16 rims.

Thank you again for all your thoughts ,always something to learn,

Tony

Had 10-16's on the front of my 5088.  Put 11-16's on the 8" rims. One side was fine, stop on the other side cut a groove in tire in first couple weeks.  Fabbed two new 10" rims with proper offset(couldn't find a 10" rim anywhere with ih offset), got them blasted and powdercoated, and bought another new tire to put on.  Turned out way more expensive than I expected.

9 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Thank You Gentlemen !

You just confirmed my thoughts.

It will be Firestone 10.00 x16's  tri Rib. on 8x16 rims.

Thank you again for all your thoughts ,always something to learn,

Tony

Tony, those wheels for the 1100/16 tire are still available from CNH.  Brand new and they are not terribly expensive.  They are not warped or rusted like used wheels, but will be silver paint finish.  I bought two sets from Bermuda Ken at Johnson tractor.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:49 AM, tony in ca. said:

Fellas,

Tony

Here you go tonyIMG_1835.thumb.JPG.afa2bb24d4358c987fb17339bcea7b2a.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

I'm with the other guys Tony , to big of tire and to narrow of a rim looks goofy and especially on your show tractors . I think 11L x15's on the front of the 806 😎 The 14L's on the 1468 with those 20.8's on the back 👍👍

Danny 

That You Fellas'

Tony