Sign in to follow this  
greenredneck

combines in your life

post-43666-0-93399200-1405638324_thumb.jpgI don't know what average age of the members on this forum would be, but I for one am 73 and have seen a lot of changes. The first time I had anything to do with trashing grain was when I was 8 and I would drive a farmal sc pulling a wagon, loading stoked grain and boy if you jerked on take-off you would get a tounge lashing from the guy on the wagon piling the stookes.

Now it would be interesting to see what different models of combines members have operated or owned during their farming years.  Now I myself must confess that the I-H dealer in our area closed about the time we got married and started farming on our own, and therefore never had much to do with red combines. we had a Case I-H 5030 i believe out a couple of yrs ago with 6 row corn head and I drove that one after noon and I liked it, certainly steered much nicer than what I still drive for him now. Now here comes the confession, andI really hope I don't get booted off this site for It because I really like  red power magazine. I collect farmall tractors and enjoy bringing them back to life.  Being the only dealer that supplied any kind of service in our area was green sorry to say that is we gravitated towards.    SO Here goes my list of combines---and a very short video of myself and my 16yr old grandson finishing this yrs harvest on a bueatifull fall day.

#1 wagon and threshing machine 2-McCormick 76 with 300 farmall(the 300 is still on same model but not that original 76) # 3- Massey Harris 82

#4-cocshutt 545   #5-1400 new holland (hated that thing)  #6-  JD 6600   #7- jd 9500  #8- now drive jd 9770 for son.

click on this link.    https://we.tl/j5joHMKSeLlink

Edited by greenredneck
link was wrong

I'm  66. As a kid we had two IH #62 combines with Contenintal enges & 6' canvas heads. Looking back I laugh &  say they were the original drsper heads & history is repeating itself. Pulled the combines with "H"s. First sp was a open station JD 45 "round back"  that we converted to a "square back" to add a chopper. Next came a JD 55EB w/ cab. Thought we was uptown with the cab. .Next csme a IH 303 that my uncle bought just before he passed away from a neighnor. I harvest 20 ac of beans with it & traded it for a new 615 in the fall of '71. Traded the 615 for a JD4400 in 1974. Then had a brain fart &  bought a MF 550 in 1979. Didn't  take long to learn what the "MF" stood for on the front engine cover. Next came a '82 1440, a '91 1660, a '99 2366, '02 2388, followed by a 7010, then a 7120, and currently we're  running a '13 7230 for the last three years.

its ok I think most farms had a green machine at least once in the farms life grandpa had a super 92 then a old 503 then went to a 6601 pull type then traded that in for a 1 year old 1440 and it was here for many year then the farm out grew it then ran 2 1460's then 2 1680's and now a 21-2388 and now looking for something along the lines of a 8010

have ran a lot of other different combines all colors but alwayed like the red ones

Dad had an old ihc 141 I think when he started in the mid 60s. His dad had old JD 6 ft canvas ones before . He bought my maternal grandparents F gleaner gaswhen he took over their farm. He had the F and a 5000 versatile until 79. He traded F on a low profile 815 diesel. In 81 he traded versatile for a 78 1460 with 100 hours. 815 got sold during tougher times. He bought a 915 low diesel in 86. So we did a lot with the 1460 and 915. My brother and I bought a 1480 in 2005 to use, then a 8820 JD to use on wheat and our current machine a 2188. I want to go one step further and ask what your favorite combine is? I know my dad who is 78 would say his 1460 or maybe his F gleaner. his least favorite was the versatile. My brother and I would say the 2188. Brings back memory's of the old days here. When he had the older combines he had a 49 chevy and 59 gmc truck then onto 73 loadstar 1600s

I'll be 50 next month. Growing up i remember a Massey Harris pull type. Then a Uni System with the combine and picker unit's. Then in 1973 a new, New Holland 975. In 1979 a new, New Holland TR70. In 1990 a new 1640. In 1994 a new 1644 (that machine was made on a good day, most reliable to date). In 2004 bought a 2001, 2388. In 2013 bought a 2008, 2588.

I'm 57 now. When I was a kid my dad had a pull type Case combine powered by a Wisconsin V4 gas engine. If that thing choked on you it was a bugger to get started again. Crank start, no electric starter. I remember him trying to get a belt hooked to the M belt pulley to get it started. Many colorful words were said around that combine! After that  we had a McCormick 64  for oats and a 76 for soybeans. Later he hired a neighbor with a Uni System to do some harvesting then bought his own Massey 410. 

When I started farming with him I bought a TR70 New Holland and later a TR85. Currently running a TR86. 

Im 52, dad had an oliver when i was very small as well as a new idea picker that wasnt very old. Traded em for a new uni whith picker, combine unit, chopper unit. All he ever had till the end. Only thing ive ever owned is a ac 66 pull type...

We got our first in '79 a JD 4400 diesel. Had it until the early '90s . Don't combine anything anymore however I got a 203 and a 205 package deal for the engine in my C a year ago. We don't have enough ground to shell any corn as we chop it all. If I could grow more I would make hi moisture with a snapper head on the chopper . 

I think a model 82 would be neat behind the 450 restored

I ran my dad's MH SP 60, bosses MF S92, A JD 95, 6601 and 7700. The JD 95 I ran belonged to a farmer outside Ft Riley. He let me hunt his land, the next summer I took a weeks leave to help him with his wheat harvest. The MF S92 belonged to a dairy farmer I worked for. Spent a summer on a custom combine crew and I operated one of 3 7700s. The 6601 is mine. Now that I don't need it it's over at my nephew's. He prefers it for oats over his CaseIH. Says it's better when you want to bale the straw.

Rick

my first experience with a combine was in junior high, riding on Dad's JD 12A bagger. the only thing positive i can remember about that was, I can still tie a good miller's knot.

then in high school, Dad got a new 325 New Idea picker. i spent a lot of time at my grandparents' farm, picking ear corn with an 826 hydro, and hauling it home on a 1950 R180. we had a long pole and wire corn crib and 4 round cribs.

Dad bought his first combine, a massey 410, after i left and bought my own farm. he sold me shell corn, and i bought his GT 570 dryer and built a granary  to store the corn in. i bought the 410 after he stopped farming and still have it in the shed next door.

while Dad was using the 410, i bought a Massey 510 of my own. i remember one time when i bought some standing corn across the river, next to a busy 2 lane road. i guess the sight of 2 combines in the same field was too much for one driver, and he ran into a car going the opposite way. (not too many combines around this area). the 510 is still in the hay barn here, but needs a new home.

then i bought a 715 because it was red. a couple steps down from the 510. but it is still here, under roof. should go for parts. many leaks on it. has a good diesel engine that i'll keep.

now i have a 1460 with a 1063 head. really nice machine. it will be the last one I own. it sleeps in the hay barn during the off season.

Here the frist SP was a new round back 45 in 1963.  It was traded for a new 303 with a cab.  I'm only 47 and the first combine I remeber was the 715.  Dad and grandad bought  the first combine with quick tach heads the dealership sold.  Ran it for several years and traded for a new MF 550 in 80 or 81.  Worst decison ever made in the history of the farm.  After about 3 years it was gone.  Bought a used 1460 and ran it for several years then the new 2001 2366 and its still going strong.

BOOG, first combines I remember Dad having was a pair of #62's.  Start them up in the yard, let them warm up on way to field, and for gosh sakes, NEVER let them die.  Hot restarts were just about impossible on those Continental engines. Dad never ran both, second combine was spare parts.  Dad got a nice clean JD #25 about 1962. Still had canvases, about '68 he talked the neighbor who was salesman for local Deere dealer out of his personal #30, had cross auger and feeder chain platform like self propelled machines.

We grew 40 acres of oats for hay ground and hog pasture, straw for bedding, the oats were filler for hog feed.  The 80 to 100 acres of corn was picked and ground for cattle feed. All the corn for feeding the 500-800 head of hogs was bought at the feedmill in town.  Real hard to justify a self-propelled combine for 40 acres of oats. If Dad could have found an additional 80 or 160 acres for corn close to the home place then maybe.

The neighbor Dad traded help with bought a 55 EB combine when he retired his NI mounted picker & sheller. Dad had quit farming to haul fuel for FS by then. I thought that 55  was a pretty good combine.  I worked out a part-time deal to make some money chopping cornstalks for the neighbor, My Super H, neighbor's 6 ft Brillion chopper, His gas, and My time at WAY way less than I was making at Farmall. I chopped one evening when they were combining, They were running 4 to 4-1/2 mph because I could barely keep up or catch them in 3rd gear, 5 mph.  Then Grandpa showed up next day and "Borrowed" my SH for most of the winter.  Not sure who I was madder at, Dad or Grandpa.  I went over to the neighbor BTO I worked for in HS and got him a good jump on his fall fieldwork. All those extra jobs made a nice down payment on my new Firebird I ordered.

I'm only 26 so haven't seen alot of change. The old case pull type got parked before my time and dad was running a 914 behind a 856. That one piled up so he bought another 914. Upgraded to a 1482 in the late 90's. It fell victim to a stone and was replaced with another 1482. Once I was about 10 I got to un the 914, till that one piled up. Then got a JD 6601 for a year. Sold it and picked up another 914 that we still run. Got another 1482 5 years ago, then a 1682 2 years ago. Bought a MF 8460 this year for straw and straight cutting wheat.

My favorite is probably the 914, but it's just not big enough anymore for us.

I am 60 yrs old . When I started farming I bought a used 915 diesel. Then in 1984 a new 1460 then in 1986 a new 1660 from ther a 1680 in 1989. And a 2188 in 1995. And today a 7010.

The first combine that I can remember Dad having was a Case. I was too young to operate it and can’t really remember what model it was. Seems like they were always working on it though. It looked very similar to this one that was at Rantoul this year. 

E34EC826-55F5-430E-8775-6CE4E21AFFF7.thumb.jpeg.6bb2745b65e9f1c182d85346ead70710.jpeg

Next came an IH model 80 pull type. Then a 303 which I spent my formative years on. At one time we ran two 715s and the 303. We really thought we were big time when we had two 715s and a 915 in the field. Then we got a 1460 and ran that with the 915. Now a 2188 does it all. 

2FE7792D-20ED-417E-BA77-D3747282FCAA.thumb.jpeg.deba39496a6971ce1418250fc347ba20.jpeg

31 minutes ago, 2+2 Guy said:

The first combine that I can remember Dad having was a Case. I was too young to operate it and can’t really remember what model it was. Seems like they were always working on it though. It looked very similar to this one that was at Rantoul this year. 

E34EC826-55F5-430E-8775-6CE4E21AFFF7.thumb.jpeg.6bb2745b65e9f1c182d85346ead70710.jpeg

Next came an IH model 80 pull type. Then a 303 which I spent my formative years on. At one time we ran two 715s and the 303. We really thought we were big time when we had two 715s and a 915 in the field. Then we got a 1460 and ran that with the 915. Now a 2188 does it all. 

2FE7792D-20ED-417E-BA77-D3747282FCAA.thumb.jpeg.deba39496a6971ce1418250fc347ba20.jpeg

What size header? My ideal setup there . Draper , duals and a low hours one.

grain was always a second crop as alfalfa was most of the acres. 71 when i started after dad died we had a 67 403 hydro. With Asthma it was not long before i added a Mark IV rooftop AC unit. I updated the concave to the Steuckle method and loved that combine and in 81 traded it for a 75 715 with a diesel and factory AC and then started growing corn rather than milo and used it quite a bit until 08 and it lasted thru 2 divorces and they took the trading machinery away until 08 and i sold the 715 on ebay and purchased a early 1440 and have loved that combine. 

First combine i ever drove a 151 with hydraulic variable

Since i am retired and selling my machinery i plan to keep the 1440 and do a little cutting as i enjoy combining and have pretty well out grown the asthma.

I'm 66 started mechanicing when I was 15 at an IH dealership have work on and drove IH and CaseIh combines from 141 to  the current models. I drove  one of the first 150  815 made at an IH field demo. I have a 1979 1460 with 4000 + hours runs like a champ.

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

What size header? My ideal setup there . Draper , duals and a low hours one.

30’ MacDon. The draper really does a good job. I think the combine could actually handle a 35’. 

I custom combined with a 101  then we went to 303s then 615s then 915s when 30 " rows came out didn't take long and I had my fill of 915s they aged pretty fast so we dropped the combining about when the axial flows came out I wondered a few times what it would have been like if we had got rid of those 915s a couple of years earlier and went to 1440 or 1460s 

The first pull combine was a Massey Harris clipper.  Dad and grandpa had that for oats, but never tried soybeans. Replaced the engine with pto drive. Then a model 80. Then a 303 open station. That was my first combine ride. Dad drove me around the yard and I was scared that I would fall off!  Then a 615, then an 815, 915, and the 1460 that dad and I have now.

I have a model 80 and a 315 for playing with as well. Still use the old 915 on occasion.

I'm 33 so I haven't seen a lot in my day either. First combine that I remember is the gleaner M that dad drove till it almost wouldn't go anymore. He bought a 6601 pull type and ran that for about 5 years and then traded it on the 850 Massey.  That's the combine I know the best as I've been running it for over 20 years now. 5 or so years ago we bought the 2188 and kept the Massey around.  2188 is my favourite to run of course lol. Debating ourselves too weither to look for a lower houred 23/2588 or a slightly higher houred 8010. 

Just turned 71 on 10/28 and over my lifetime we had lots of combines.--early on Dad had ih 62 (several of them, cont. engine power),, then came case a-6 and 75, ih 76 was next, case sp-9 and mm s, ih 101, 503, 715-d, Oliver 525 (had 2 of them) , NOW the green stuff jd 12-a, 55, 55(square back) , 95, 4400,---I may have missed a few but that's the main ones. (ps. the case in the above is like the 75 we had!) --- The 715-D was my favorite machine! thanks; sonny

11 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

BOOG, first combines I remember Dad having was a pair of #62's.  Start them up in the yard, let them warm up on way to field, and for gosh sakes, NEVER let them die.  Hot restarts were just about impossible on those Continental engines. Dad never ran both, second combine was spare parts.  Dad got a nice clean JD #25 about 1962. Still had canvases, about '68 he talked the neighbor who was salesman for local Deere dealer out of his personal #30, had cross auger and feeder chain platform like self propelled machines.

Doc,  my uncle always said he had two # 62s in case one died in the field he at least had one to run till the other cooled off enough to restart. I remember at noon we left the combine engines run while we went to the house to eat.

I can remember the hired man & I custom combing corn in Jan one year with the 55. We put a gas powered heater in the cab, along with the combine's heatet, to keep our feet from freezing. It was so cold we would take turns, one guy would haul a truck load of corn to the elecator while the other ran the combine filling the other truck. When you got back from the elevator you would run the combine while the other guy went to the elvator. Did that to keep halfway warm.  Had to wait till temps were around 10* or the sieves would freeze over.

Had an A2 Gleaner many years ago. 3 row corn head, The grain head warped as the dealer I bought it from didn't provide me with the angle irons that supported the head. Put all new bearings in it the first fall. It caught fire the second year and like an idiot I put the fire out. Insuarance fixed it. I should have fanned the flames Glad when that POS went down the road. Bought a nice 105 Deere and put a hart carter floating cutter bar on it. I used it for 4 years then wised up and hired my combining. Guys had 850 Masseys. and made short work of my fields