Sign in to follow this  
farmall666

MACDAN COMBINE HEADERS.

DOES CASEIH/TENNENCO HAVE ANY TIES WITH MACDAN HEADERS? THE REASON I ASK IS IN THEIR WEBSITE THEY SHOW A MACDAN HEADER ON A NEW CASEIH COMBINE. YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD HAVE ONE OF THIER OWN NOT COMPETIONS.

Since I assume you mean MacDon...... pretty sure all of the belt fronts up until recently were supplied by them and rebadged as Case IH.

Not since late 2013 when CNH and MacDon parted their separate ways and CNH introduced their own Flex Draper head. I highly doubt CaseIH would show any advertising with their 40 series combines with a MacDon head since CNH makes their own now. You sure it wasn’t the CNH Flex Draper?

20 minutes ago, superih said:

so which head is better?

Depends. I know caseih dealer here won't sell you a case ih head he prefers macdon. They talk about having problems with newer heads but it could be they are just comfortable selling stuff they know.

In my area all of the Flagship models of CIH combines all have Mac Don headers. The fellow who did some of my soybeans this fall had a MacDon header also. Auger headers in this area are becoming obsolete since they wont cut green stem beans very well. About every second year we run into green stem beans.  

From what I understand the caseih draper will work well in soybean country. Flat smooth land. It actually has more individual float than macdon. But up here in nd where soybeans tend to be short the macdon works better until you get into mole hills and wet dirt.

Case should have just stayed with Macdon.  Every single newer case combine around here pushes a Macdon.  I’m not even sure the red guys around here are aware that Case makes their own header.  I know Farris who always runs new combines still uses new Macdons.  Says if he runs anything he wouldn’t be able to trade them off.

Much to CNH's chagrin, many CNH dealers have continued to sell MacDon headers over CNH's own offerings in Flex drapers. The MacDons were a proven design that went over well with most customers and continue to do so. The CNH heads had some teething pains from the get go. Now, we have sold 4 New Holland versions of the CaseIH 3162 header and the guys like them over the HoneyBees they had previously...but I'm sure we will continue to sell more MacDon header than CNH heads for a few different reasons. We've sold MacDons since the early 1990s. I'll never forget when I saw the first MacDon head in action...a new 1680 with a 36' MacDon header was traveling .5mph  faster in the same field as another new 1680 with a 1010 30' auger header in wheat. After that, MacDons have been the majority of headers that we have sold over the years...far before CaseIH and MacDon started working together in the late 1990s.

One big reason we continue to sell MacDons is the fact that we sell probably 1/3 to 1/2 of those headers to Deere customers. We can trade them in in a few years and then turnaround and sell them to anybody with any color of combine with a minimum of changes(window frame, maybe some electrical or hydraulic changes if needed). With a Deere, CNH, or AGCO only header, your prospective customers for used heads is decreased dramatically unless you want to deal with header adapters that match "brand X" combine to "brand Y" header.

MacDon handled the CNH/MacDon divorce with brilliance. They turned around and offered CaseIH dealers with what they called a "redside contract". This allowed CaseIH dealers to sell MacDon heads setup for CaseIH combines only. If you look at the end panels on a MacDon header, they have a color stripe under the MacDon decal. If it is a true MacDon that is designed for any combine it will have a stripe that is part red, part green, part yellow, and part silver. If its designed/sold as a head for a Deere combine, it will have a long green stripe; heads for a CaseIH(or Massey)combine will have a long red stripe, long yellow stripe for New Holland/Cat applications, and silver for Gleaners. A large percentage of CaseIH dealers took on the redside contract so as to continue selling MacDons to their previous customers.

14 hours ago, SDman said:

Not since late 2013 when CNH and MacDon parted their separate ways and CNH introduced their own Flex Draper head. I highly doubt CaseIH would show any advertising with their 40 series combines with a MacDon head since CNH makes their own now. You sure it wasn’t the CNH Flex Draper?

Thanks SDman, I've been out of the game since 2012. The D60 MacDon is still pretty popular down here although some guys are going to the Queensland made Midwest fronts as they make them up to 60' for guys running controlled traffic.

Mac Don is the #1 draper being used in this area, whether it's on a red, green, or yellow combine. We run a 40" CIH branded MacDon 2162.  It's been on our 7010, then a 7120, & now a 7230.  Was cheaper to buy it from the CIH ealer thn a FD70 MacDon from a MacDon dealer. However, we buy parts from the MacDon dealer, usually about 1/3 less than what CIH wants for the same part. Neighbor has run a CIH draper on his 7230 for two years. My understanding it's being traded for a MacDon & his 44xx head is being traded for a Gerringhof. We've traded a 1 yr old 4412 for a Gerringhof two years ago & couldn't be happier.

As previously posted, lot of CIH dealers sell MacDon & Gerringhoff heads. Our Gerringhof was purchased from the same CIH dealer we purchased the MacDon from.

Yep, the dealer i bought my Gerringhoff from in 09 is a case ih and New Holland dealership. They sell MacDon, Gerringhoff and Drago heads. I don't think they sell hardly any CNH produced heads.

One of our Case IH dealers pushed guys away from the 2162 heads saying a 3020 auger head would perform just well with an air reel for less money (not true) but now they are pushing the 3162 drapers as the greatest thing ever.  We bought one of the very last 2162s in '13 and its been one of the best pieces of equipment we own.