dads706

Dow passed 24,000

D*mn capitalism. 

On 12/1/2017 at 2:23 AM, SMiller said:

I want to sail on boat on liberal tears...

Well the level is rising

The stock market is a false barometer of the economy. It is only made up of 30 companies and less than 5% of the population actually has money invested in it. The majority of people are invested in the s&p 500.

6 hours ago, jass1660 said:

The stock market is a false barometer of the economy. It is only made up of 30 companies and less than 5% of the population actually has money invested in it. The majority of people are invested in the s&p 500.

You mean the DOW Jones Industrial average.

False, sorta.  But when it does well people/companies have confidence to invest.  Man, i bet way more than 5% have some portion of a 401k or mutual fund in one of the DJI companies.  But yes, s and p would be a better judge.  I look at unemployment  (rec low) and consumer confidence (up up) as being more real judge.  But man everything is flying now!

Poor liberals, now their retirement funds are up too...

11 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

False, sorta.  But when it does well people/companies have confidence to invest.  Man, i bet way more than 5% have some portion of a 401k or mutual fund in one of the DJI companies.  But yes, s and p would be a better judge.  I look at unemployment  (rec low) and consumer confidence (up up) as being more real judge.  But man everything is flying now!

Troy, Everything up and flying except Farm commodity prices.:(

34 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Prices don’t go the same way forever bud!

8 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Well the level is rising

Supposedly for various reasons

“Sea Level Rises Hundreds Of Feet Due To Sweat From Celebrities Waiting To Be Outed As Perverts”

http://babylonbee.com/news/sea-level-rises-hundreds-feet-due-sweat-celebrities-waiting-outed-perverts/

Via https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/12/01/friday-funny-bonus-edition-josh-on-manns-call-for-trench-warfare/#comment-2682464

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

retirement funds are up too

my pension has flat lined. First time in years. Hope is see some improvement next quarter. 

4 hours ago, redneckhippie said:

retirement funds are up too

my pension has flat lined. First time in years. Hope is see some improvement next quarter. 

I know i know it won't raise forever.

You need a new fund manager bud.  I dont know anyone who says they are flat.

8 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I belong to a union. All my investment is controlled by them. I wish I understood it better. I'm trying to learn but it's all Greek to me. All I know is they send quarterly reports out and I keep expecting to see a big rise but don't. A few years back it was doing pretty good. Im pretty sure it's invested in low risk as it usually doesn't fall. 

10 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:
8 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I belong to a union. All my investment is controlled by them. I wish I understood it better. I'm trying to learn but it's all Greek to me. All I know is they send quarterly reports out and I keep expecting to see a big rise but don't. A few years back it was doing pretty good. Im pretty sure it's invested in low risk as it usually doesn't fall. 

My ytd ROI on my 401k is 18% some funds are at 30% (domestic stocks) bonds are flat. I'm sure a market correction is around the corner.

1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:
9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Do you have a market based fund or a defined contribution like we have in Alaska?  Our defined contribution sucks because after 2008 they changed bookkeeping along with other factors.

1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:
10 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Here in North Dakota  their having meetings on how our US senator a democrat is sponsoring a bill to bail out UPS drivers pension fund. apparently who would have thought a union could handle a pension plan without raiding it. Something like 350 million needed just for small plan they pilfered. Sad thing is drivers who contributed got shafted. My uncle by marriage was a bread truck driver for years and was talking last year his pension was cut by 2/3s. Pretty sure he was a teamster member also

48 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Do you have a market based fund or a defined contribution like we have in Alaska?  Our defined contribution sucks because after 2008 they changed bookkeeping along with other factor

I really don't know. My paper says asset allocation other. 

On 12/2/2017 at 8:49 AM, jass1660 said:

I believe that 5% is a little low.  From what I've read, it's more around 50%.  Mutual funds, IRAs, all kinds of company and private retirement programs own stocks.  The same thing with bonds.  I've been in the stock marked since 1982, when the market dumps, I buy, the rest of the time I let it ride.  I also have bonds and gold.  I started out with a $50 per month allotment into a boring mutual fund, early in my military career.  Keeps me in motorcycle gas, and sure beats working for a living;)  BK

2 minutes ago, Brady Boy said:

I believe that 5% is a little low.  From what I've read, it's more around 50%.  Mutual funds, IRAs, all kinds of company and private retirement programs own stocks.  The same thing with bonds.  I've been in the stock marked since 1982, when the market dumps, I buy, the rest of the time I let it ride.  I also have bonds and gold.  I started out with a $50 per month allotment into a boring mutual fund, early in my military career.  Keeps me in motorcycle gas, and sure beats working for a living;)  BK

The Dow is 30 companies, and that mix gets shuffled from time to time.  The S&P, of course is 500 companies, but there're all "in the stock market", there're a ton of indexes, from 30 to thousands, large cap, small cap, mid cap, growth, value, the list goes on forever.  BK

Trump hasn't passed  one single bill to help the stock market ; the stock market is still riding the coat tails of the last president.

10 minutes ago, supermpuller said:

Trump hasn't passed  one single bill to help the stock market ; the stock market is still riding the coat tails of the last president.

Total BS, the stock market was blowing bubbles for years, until the November election.  Weather the market's hopes come true or not is another question.  BK

PS:  I wondered how long it would take this discussion to get political. :lol:

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Here in North Dakota  their having meetings on how our US senator a democrat is sponsoring a bill to bail out UPS drivers pension fund. apparently who would have thought a union could handle a pension plan without raiding it. Something like 350 million needed just for small plan they pilfered. Sad thing is drivers who contributed got shafted. My uncle by marriage was a bread truck driver for years and was talking last year his pension was cut by 2/3s. Pretty sure he was a teamster member also

It’s not UPS fault it’s the other trucking companies that didn’t contribute or went under. Plus people are living longer and collecting more and if not managed properly will default. Mine is funded at 90% right now. 

1 minute ago, jass1660 said:

It’s not UPS fault it’s the other trucking companies that didn’t contribute or went under. Plus people are living longer and collecting more and if not managed properly will default. Mine is funded at 90% right now. 

Yes I feel sorry for all the drivers. The main guys controlling the fund obviously mismanaged the money.

1 hour ago, Brady Boy said:

Total BS, the stock market was blowing bubbles for years, until the November election.  Weather the market's hopes come true or not is another question.  BK

PS:  I wondered how long it would take this discussion to get political. :lol:

Not political just facts. When Obama took office, 1/20/09 the DJIA was 7,949.09, lowest for the Dow since its creation. At the end of Obama term 1/20/17 it more that doubled to 19,732.40 also bailed out wallstreet and saved auto companies