Sign in to follow this  
Matt Kirsch

Speaking of Elwoods

This is on an upcoming auction near me. Advertised as an "Elwood hyd. assist" which I took to mean hydraulic.

Is "Elwood hyd(raulic) assist" a thing? It looks a little odd, but I'm thinking that's because the front wheels are set in way narrow, but otherwise it is your everyday run of the mill Elwood MFWA.

IH_1086.JPG.3f93806b38bd365cf3367ba5e6591d63.JPG

I can't answer your question but I like how they wrote "1086" on it haha.

The "decals" on the 3788 behind it are even better.

It's at pirrunginc.com if anybody wants to look. I've got dibs on the 7120 though.

And that is what TSC and other cheap bulk paint looks like after a couple of years.

Or did they mean hydraulically engagement of the front end?

Way off topic, but what's up with the two JD's with the platform under the belly and funky cabs?

1 hour ago, rsscott said:

And that is what TSC and other cheap bulk paint looks like after a couple of years.

That explains the pink/red freckles on the hood & fender.

Normally you can see the gearcase and driveshaft sticking down just below the battery box on the left side of the tractor.  I've enlarged the photo as much as I can,  there's lots of shadow under there but I can't see anything that looks like the case or shaft.  I never heard anyone at Elwood ever say anything about a hyd. fwa.  They managed to tap power out of a new generation Deere when Deere themselves couldn't, or didn't.  I think some auctioneer didn't realize there's a difference, surprised he didn't call it a Mud Hog.

3 hours ago, Adam - NC said:

Way off topic, but what's up with the two JD's with the platform under the belly and funky cabs?

Platforms are rock boxes. Fairly common in the area. The funky cabs....I got nothing.  Maybe have to take a ride down to sale if weather is ok just for fun.

Those are weather cabs. A step up from a heat houser and better than nothing in the winter. Originally they had doors and windows and a shroud that went over the engine like a heat houser.

He didn't believe in buying tires evidently..........

Mike 

On 11/30/2017 at 8:21 PM, starz607 said:

Hey Matt. I was interested in that 7210 also. Lol  

It's all yours. I just blew my tractor budget.

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It's all yours. I just blew my tractor budget.

What you end up buying?

Bought what appears to be a real nice low-hour all-original (except tires) 1586 at an auction yesterday. Yeah, it's a 1586 but I think it'll do the job.

Tach shows 2885 hours. It shifts like a new tractor so I gotta imagine the hours are close to right. Looks to be the original engine and injector pump too. Oh, it does have the two-speed PTO.

I couldn't figure that auction out... Someone paid around $5200 for a clapped-out 1466 TA-delete that didn't steer, drawbar was pulled almost clean through, 3pt balls wore out to Cat. 4., and someone else paid around $6200 for a clapped out 966. For what I paid for this beast, I STOLE it.

8 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Bought what appears to be a real nice low-hour all-original (except tires) 1586 at an auction yesterday. Yeah, it's a 1586 but I think it'll do the job.

Tach shows 2885 hours. It shifts like a new tractor so I gotta imagine the hours are close to right. Looks to be the original engine and injector pump too. Oh, it does have the two-speed PTO.

I couldn't figure that auction out... Someone paid around $5200 for a clapped-out 1466 TA-delete that didn't steer, drawbar was pulled almost clean through, 3pt balls wore out to Cat. 4., and someone else paid around $6200 for a clapped out 966. For what I paid for this beast, I STOLE it.

Matt,

You are in BLATANT violation of forum rules.  As per RPF-BR549 you are obligated to post pictures of your recent purchase.  The fact that it is a 1586 AND you have not yet posted pictures only serves to compound your infraction.  Please submit pictures forthwith or you will be required to plow 60 acres of frozen ground  with a untrained mule!

Now pictures of the 1586 to redeem yourself!

5 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Matt,

You are in BLATANT violation of forum rules.  As per RPF-BR549 you are obligated to post pictures of your recent purchase.  The fact that it is a 1586 AND you have not yet posted pictures only serves to compound your infraction.  Please submit pictures forthwith or you will be required to plow 60 acres of frozen ground  with a untrained mule!

Now pictures of the 1586 to redeem yourself!

times awasting

15 minutes ago, R190 said:

times awasting

Deere used FWA with orbital motors driven hydraulically didn't they? Maybe a couple of those found their way onto others as well? I know this one probably isnt but I thought I heard a few did.

I'm still planning on going to the auction just to check things out and maybe pick up a small or two, so I'll grab some pictures of the finer details on this 1086.

Unless someone is willing to make a donation to my tractor fund, then I can probably bring it home for further study.

On 12/6/2017 at 12:41 PM, 660 driver said:

Deere used FWA with orbital motors driven hydraulically didn't they? Maybe a couple of those found their way onto others as well? I know this one probably isnt but I thought I heard a few did.

Years ago I saw a hydraulic FWA for a 706 on ebay. In hindsight I should have bought it as a novelty, it only brought something like $700

13 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Years ago I saw a hydraulic FWA for a 706 on ebay. In hindsight I should have bought it as a novelty, it only brought something like $700

I know the ones deere used were reguarded as crap at best. Probably why the one on epay only brought 700$.