hardknocks

496 disk cylinder

Have a 496 disk that needs a new Wing cylinder can I just put any cylinder on disk

withthe same size stroke and bore

I don't know why you couldnt but then again I don't have a 496.

They work in slave fashion if I recall correctly. 

Yes. But can I get just a cylinder from say tsc of rural King if it's the same bore and stroke and it'll work fine

1 hour ago, hardknocks said:

Yes. But can I get just a cylinder from say tsc of rural King if it's the same bore and stroke and it'll work fine

If it is a master-slave system not only does the bore and stroke have to be the same but the rod diameter has to be the same because it is a small side of the cylinder that the oil goes from there to operate another cylinder .

Is there something wrong that a hydraulic shop can't just repair that cylinder (put a new rod in it or whatever) ?

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

They work in slave fashion if I recall correctly. 

I know that my wing cylinders are slaves to the main frame cylinders. But I agree with bitty. If you can I would rebuild the one you have . 

Someone stole it. I do not have the cylinder.. and it is on the wing .  So I not quite understanding what cylinder I need to buy.  So as long a it is same bore same rod diamitor and same stroke it will work.  Am I getting this right. 

5 hours ago, hardknocks said:

Someone stole it. I do not have the cylinder.. and it is on the wing .  So I not quite understanding what cylinder I need to buy.  So as long a it is same bore same rod diamitor and same stroke it will work.  Am I getting this right. 

If it is the slave cylinder in the master slave system then the bore and stroke is all that is needed to be the same..... I think

I believe   all 4 of those cylinders have some type of bypass at the end of the stroke to allow air to bleed out of the cylinders. Eventually if you don't raise the disc all the way up every time you lift it the wings will start to droop and dig deeper in the ground. In the manual they tell you to hold the hydraulic lever on raise for 5 or 10 seconds or so to remove the air. 

Is the air bleed just threaded into the port?

No it's usually a bypass valve fitted in the piston that activates when the piston bottoms out at end of stroke. Some of the Prince cylinders have a block welded on the side at one end of the sleeve which lets air and oil bypass around the piston seals. This is so the air can be bled away and also to allow cylinders to synchronize at the top of the lift. 

John

Is it the wing fold cylinder or the wheel lift cylinder?

It's the wheel lift cylinders. A possibility is finding a used one. Try Kalsem Implement at Waterloo IA. 319-226-2236

mine is a 496  28ft wide the cylinders are 3.5x8in  and yes they are phasing cyl the one on opposite wing will be the same

Had the wing cylinder rebuilt years ago when I owned o.  There is a bypass in the cylinder that must be put back correctly for the slave system to work.  An ordinary cylinder will not work.

Whoever stole that cylinder obviously knew what they wanted. :angry:

im sorry I must make my self more clear.. its the right wing cylinder that's on the wheel

Kalsem Implement at Waterloo IA has cylinders on a 490 30 ft disk and mine is a 25'.  if they are same bore and stroke that's should work correct.  350.00-375.00 + shipping 

490 doesn't use phasing cyl    if you google 3.5x8in phasing cyl lots come up

1 hour ago, 89vmax said:

490 doesn't use phasing cyl    if you google 3.5x8in phasing cyl lots come up

A 490 only has one lift cylinder in the center and has mechanical linkage to the wing wheels. And 2 to fold up the wings. 

if anybody has one to sell im very interested.  is it possible to find a new one other than dealer  they are quite pricey. do you think its possible to buy the parts needed to make one a slave cylinder?