Sign in to follow this  
hagan

early 706 diesel on big iron

found this on big iron this morning at briggsdale co 1963internationalharvester7062wdtractor-152.jpg

It even has a foot throttle! I see the fuel pressure gauge in the panel behind the park  lock. Usually they had them with RD pumps. Another picture shows the engine and it has a tube going into the top pump housing. That is a strange looking pump. Is that an RD or Roosa Master? The top cover looks different than the one on my 706 which is a 1964 model. 

https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/1963InternationalHarvester7062WDTractor

1963internationalharvester7062wdtractor-109.jpg

Was just looking at that...

Pretty sure that whoever buys that is going to get a deal 'cause it looks to me like they are actually buying multiple tractors!

(and perhaps a combine as well, based on the electric to the injection pump)  :rolleyes::D

Injection pump aside, there are a LOT of parts on there that are not right for a 706 with that low of serial number. I realize that many of those things get changed over the years but... There are some things (like the cover on the left side of the transmission) that there would have been no reason to change.

It's a nice straight tractor but I wouldn't be looking at it for any kind of collector, as it pertains to originality..

Just my opinion, of course..

FT

Is that a wire or a metal tube? Hard to tell.

Well the repaint stinks and I think we all know the hours aint correct. That being said it doesnt appear they are trying to misrepresent it as anything but a 706 diesel. If it is mechanically sound I wouldn't be scared of it but chances are shes pretty rough internally. Price is fair to a little steep for what it is IMO.

35 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Is that a wire or a metal tube? Hard to tell.

Well, now that you mention it... not positive..

However, the gauge above the foot throttle appears to me to be an ammeter.

5a2047fcaf771_ScreenShot2017-11-30at12_02_37PM.thumb.jpg.0950fb7e7c047158c114179b4df98d98.jpg

FT

The pump is just a typical Roosa Master / Stanadyne DB with electric shut off in the top cover assembly. That is a wire going to the terminal. Nothing special there. Pump may have been converted to electric shut-off for many reasons, combine engine/pump swap, run on pto pump/generator with murphy switches? Who knows. 

Sure looks like someone put in a D301 out of a 715 combine with its electric shut off pump and spin on oil filter....if so that would be nice! 

I am surprised they sold as many 706's as they did. Were $600 less than a 806 and dad tried them both out pulling 2 fifteen foot K2 krause 1 way plows the 806 would pull them in lo 4th direct and run at 2400 the 706 pulled them in lo 3rd and would only run about 2000 and the dealer took the 706 back to town and a check for the 806. That ol 806 was a **** of a tractor in its day

On 11/30/2017 at 12:21 PM, FarmallTom said:

Was just looking at that...

Pretty sure that whoever buys that is going to get a deal 'cause it looks to me like they are actually buying multiple tractors!

(and perhaps a combine as well, based on the electric to the injection pump)  :rolleyes::D

Injection pump aside, there are a LOT of parts on there that are not right for a 706 with that low of serial number. I realize that many of those things get changed over the years but... There are some things (like the cover on the left side of the transmission) that there would have been no reason to change.

It's a nice straight tractor but I wouldn't be looking at it for any kind of collector, as it pertains to originality..

Just my opinion, of course..

FT

Agree with Tom.

Lots of things that shouldn't be on an early 706.  Air cleaner through the hood, long hydraulic levers, platform extensions, etc. so I wouldn't look at it as collectable because of the early S/N.

Just my $0.02 worth.