G Huffman

Backhoe will not start.

Brother's backhoe was not running good so he changed the fuel fuel filter.  Now it starts and runs a couple seconds and quits.  The lines are well bled so air in lines is not likely.

Is there an enrichment mode in the startup on Roosa Master injector pumps?  It starts and runs black smoke for about 2 seconds and quits.  

What type of backhoe are we talking here?

why did he change filters? Just preventive maintenance? Or was it acting up before? The problem you describe sounds like the typical broken flex ring in the pump, and the pieces are plugging the return, causing it to die, and not have proper advance, thus the black smoke. Loosen the timing window cover on the pump, and let it leak into a bucket, and see if it will keep running like normal. If it does, then you have a pump in need of servicing. 

I have a jd 350 dozer with a three cylinder diesel roosa master acting very similar.  I just bought it, and while it ran it developed a miss and would stall under load.  The filter was the obvious first choice for me as well.  Now it will only run for a few seconds.  I'm going to try the advice of injpumped, will report back.

1511987949943-843192089.jpg

1511987983561761570106.jpg

I believe that diagnosis was spot on.  I even found a piece of black plastic wedged under the timing cover.  Ran well while cover was off.  Drove it to my shop, much easier than dragging it!  Are there any special tools required for one of these pumps?  Would this model be a good first try at injection pump repair?  I'm thinking about it if I can't locate a repair kit inexpensively, worst case I still end up taking it to a shop.

14 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

I believe that diagnosis was spot on.  I even found a piece of black plastic wedged under the timing cover.  Ran well while cover was off.  Drove it to my shop, much easier than dragging it!  Are there any special tools required for one of these pumps?  Would this model be a good first try at injection pump repair?  I'm thinking about it if I can't locate a repair kit inexpensively, worst case I still end up taking it to a shop.

Send it to Ed you’ll be money ahead!

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Send it to Ed you’ll be money ahead!

X2

I had found that video too, mine is disassembled awaiting the $30 rebuild kit now.  My uncle had rebuilt many of these pumps over the years, and had the service manual so I figured it's worth a shot, especially since my barley Malting barn construction is awaiting the crawler loader to grade for concrete.          When I got the pump apart, there were only a few pieces of the flex ring left.  I wonder where the rest of it went...

A couple local guys wanted $1300 and $1700 to rebuild mine.  I did not see anywhere to get parts.  The distributor rotor sized up form french fry oil and looks like it sheared the Woodriff key in the drive gear.  I found a rebuilt one on ebay for $900 so I bought it.  Now I get to get the radiator out and remove the timing gear cover.  I wonder what is going to break next..

Thanks!   This is what I have to work with, just waiting on the rebuild kit to arrive now.

KIMG0299.jpg

It turned out to be a simple fix.  The check ball valve was loaded with crud.  You could blow through it but fuel was restricted.  some simple things are so hard to find.

On 11/28/2017 at 5:56 PM, Injpumped said:

why did he change filters? Just preventive maintenance? Or was it acting up before? The problem you describe sounds like the typical broken flex ring in the pump, and the pieces are plugging the return, causing it to die, and not have proper advance, thus the black smoke. Loosen the timing window cover on the pump, and let it leak into a bucket, and see if it will keep running like normal. If it does, then you have a pump in need of servicing. 

12 hours ago, G Huffman said:

It turned out to be a simple fix.  The check ball valve was loaded with crud.  You could blow through it but fuel was restricted.  some simple things are so hard to find.

I would be nervous about this giving what injpumped has to say

There was  some water in the glass under the fuel filter and it was not running too good so he changed the filter.  They it would start and run for a few seconds and die.  Finally I took the return line and check valve off and it ran OK.  I could blow a little through the check valve but it was restricted.  There was a bunch of gummy gunk in the device.  It ran for a day and quit again.  I think the injector cleaner he was using broke some gunk loose.  The window did not have anything come out of it when it was removed.  I am thinking some of the soybean oil or what ever the "greenies" are forcing into diesel came out of solution with the water in the fuel and gummed things up.

My $30 rebuild kit arrived Monday afternoon, I had the machine running before the evening was through.  Went smoothly, I received a complete service Manual with the kit.  That was helpful to know all of the specs, as was the copious amount of pictures I tools while disassembling it.  I wouldn't be surprised if the flex ring was falling apart in yours too Mr Huffman.  Good luck!

Just now, ihfarmer1586 said:

My $30 rebuild kit arrived Monday afternoon, I had the machine running before the evening was through.  Went smoothly, I received a complete service Manual with the kit.  That was helpful to know all of the specs, as was the copious amount of pictures I tools while disassembling it.  I wouldn't be surprised if the flex ring was falling apart in yours too Mr Huffman.  Good luck!

would you  pm where you found the kit

have manuals but parts # list would be helpful As I would like to replace the wear parts also and stock them before govt makes them illegal also  thanks

Sorry I tried to p.m. you but it would not send a message said you are unable to receive them.  Google search Mylex International, out of Mendenhall Mississippi we've used them for decades for parts and rebuilds.