jeff311

Elwood axle 06-56 series

I spoke tonight with a gent who said he recently acquired an Elwood front end assembly that supposedly came off a 1206 several years back. I questioned him fairly well on the different characteristics between the two axles. He is a collector and knows his IH stuff. I have no reason to doubt his claim but, I'm thinking that would be a fairly rare mfwd for a 1206. I'm certainly no AWD expert here but, have not seen any Elwoods under 06 series that I can remember. He is contemplating whether to put it under a 706 or 1206. What should he be aware of to help with that decision?

Hello Jeff, no expert here either.  I would like to see pictures of it to determine which elwood it is, but I am real sure that there never was a factory installed Elwood axle on a 1206. The chances are real strong that if its an Elwood it was added sometime in the mid to later 70's at the earliest and maybe even as late as the mid 80's. What elwood was marketing in mid 60's was a good bit different than what we know as an elwood today.  There were also some other outfits making kits to put driving axles under IH tractors, but they were pretty crude.

ed

There is a 12-O local to here that is and was ordered with a MFD. I am not sure what MFD it is weather Ellwood or not

If it has hub caps it is a Coleman which didn't turn as sharp.

7 hours ago, bitty said:

There is a 12-O local to here that is and was ordered with a MFD. I am not sure what MFD it is weather Ellwood or not

Would have been an American Coleman with the BIG domes over the wheel centers if it was installed at Farmall on a new 1206.

If the Elwood came off a 1206 it should bolt on to a 706 or another 1206 just fine. The only concerns on the 706 are driveshaft length and gear ratio.

The 1206 it came off of probably had 18.4x38 tires on the rear. Most 706's have shorter 18.4x34's; that may require a drop box with a different gear ratio, and it definitely requires different front tires.

706's also came in three different wheelbase lengths due to the gas, D282, and D310 engine options. The difference is only a couple of inches, and the driveshaft may telescope enough to compensate, but it is something to look out for.

We have an Elwood on an 806, but it was put on in the early to mid 80's. Your friend's 12 could have been the same.

The first elwood I remember seeing was in the late 86 series brochures. IIRC one was one a 1486. Before that all front assist tractors had colemans in the literature.

38 minutes ago, Eason said:

The first elwood I remember seeing was in the late 86 series brochures. IIRC one was one a 1486. Before that all front assist tractors had colemans in the literature.

I'm not exactly sure when American Coleman usage stopped and Elwood took over,  Coleman axles were used when I was working in '76 till Oct. '77. When I came back January 1st '79 Elwood was supplying axles.  I didn't deal with them until several months later but I got the impression they hadn't been supplying Farmall very long. They had 2-3 schedulers before me which was part of their problem.  They would not schedule more than two FWA tractors a day.  I told them a week or two in advance exactly when I needed axles and I got them. And I know there was some long nights and weekends involved in getting them sometimes.  I only ever built ten FWA tractors in a week maybe twice while I was involved, most times 2 to 5 axles ran me a week, sometimes 2 weeks.  In a wet fall, Elwood might get orders and ship 10-12 axles a week to dealers or farmers.

Doc I think it was the 79 buyer's guide that the elwood was shown.  Eason

On 11/28/2017 at 12:56 AM, bitty said:

The one i've seen up in Susquehanna County had the Coleman on it, not sure if it would be the same tractor or not?  They  drove it in to pickup equipment at an auction we handled near Nicholson a few years back. Supposed to still be in the area.

4 hours ago, Ed Leaman said:

The one i've seen up in Susquehanna County had the Coleman on it, not sure if it would be the same tractor or not?  They  drove it in to pickup equipment at an auction we handled near Nicholson a few years back. Supposed to still be in the area.

No this one is in the greater liberty area. It may be a Coleman axle..it sold to the nephew of the original owner for $7 grand a few years ago after it was on Craigslist for a few days. They were getting crazy offers from the Midwest for it. 

It sits outside now...... :(

On 11/28/2017 at 8:51 PM, Eason said:

Doc I think it was the 79 buyer's guide that the elwood was shown.  Eason

That matches up well with my experience,  Elwood started supplying axles sometime in '78 when I was gone to make it into the '79 Buyer's Guide.