Sign in to follow this  
DT Fan

782 engine trouble

So my 782 has gotten to be hard starting and then started smoking like crazy. Changed the plugs, helped briefly. Then back to it. I pulled the air cleaner and it was horrid, thought maybe it was acting like a choke. Cleaned the element as best as possible. Decided to start it up with the element removed, ran good briefly. Then started puking oil out of the crankcase breather. Did a compression test, got 90psi on the left cylinder and 102 on the right. I'm guessing it is loosing compression and forcing the oil out of the breather and a rebuild is in order.

Where is a good place to get the parts? Any other words of wisdom would be great too. It's a great mower and I would like to get it back running before the grass gets long in the spring.

DSC00172.JPG

Check the oil level to see if it is at the full Mark or way over full. Your fuel pump has a tendency to leak gas into the oil causing it to overfill and that will cause it to run rough also try new spark plugs. You can overhaul it your self for under 500 dollars.

Check the breather , I think it might be stuck from weak spring or sludge . Pressure builds up and pushes oil down guides ,just a thought 

How do you do a compression test with the compression release cam? Just wondering about that engine ! 

22 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

How do you do a compression test with the compression release cam? Just wondering about that engine ! 

Well, apparently ignorance is bliss? I just pulled the plugs and did it just like I would any other engine.

Thanks for the thoughts on checking the breather. I really don't want to tear this thing down. It ran great and had loads of power before this popped up.

18 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Well, apparently ignorance is bliss? I just pulled the plugs and did it just like I would any other engine.

Thanks for the thoughts on checking the breather. I really don't want to tear this thing down. It ran great and had loads of power before this popped up.

Hey here's another thought , start it up at night (outside) if the exhaust valves at leaking , the muffler will become red hot from the fuel  burning in the muffler. Could even see flame coming out of it . 

If you can ,do you hear  the tappers? The valve Clearence might be out , my Briggs 17 hp does it when I had it . 

Also might have intake manifold leak , causing it to be lean  

my thoughts good luck , let us know what you find it , helps to troubleshoot 

No compression release on a Kohler twin.....