MTO

Power shifting

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

There was a guy in Elwood IN that had a mid '60s Malibu, 327, all the parts from JC Whitney, but everything matched up and worked together from the carb to the headers all properly sized for the engine etc. 4.88 gears, modest set of slicks and he regularly beat guys that had spent tons of money on go fast goodies. 

Name from the past JC Whitney 

Yeah, I used to get a catalog from them about twice a month. Apparently they still exist. Not as big as Jeg's or Summit though.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/?TID=gglsea&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-eD0uDf1wIVFrbACh3lzg0HEAAYASAAEgIUifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

9 hours ago, kal said:

Wished I had it back!

Dad had couple 63 1/2 xl’s when he got done they got pushed it the creek bank they were just old cars back then

5 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Whenever guys wanted to race me for titles I said I didn't want their car. Kind of a smart a!! I guess back then! The only car I had I'd race for more than a quarter was the Super Bee. It had 3.23 gears and would do 140 if I wanted it to. 

Everything else I've had  is small blocks with 3.73 to 4.88 gears. No top end there. Beat a lot of 400 and 455 Pontiacs and some 396 /454 Chevy's. And 340 / 383 Mopar's. 

MTO, 

A  stock 396 wasn't that much of a threat to a modified small block Chevy unless it was the 375 HP version. Those things would fly! If they hooked up on the street. A friend had a 70 Nova with that engine and that thing was scary. But he ran G60 15 tires!

Mine was tweaked a bit and he had a Malibu.

Had a couple SBs that would wind up nice and tight but still loved the sound and torque of the BB. 

Chevy definitely had the market on cheap horsepower. 

On 11/26/2017 at 5:12 PM, kal said:

63 1/2 Ford Galaxy 390 with 427 solid lifter cam,dual quads and a T-10 Borg Warner 4 speed.Used a Hurst shifter,banged the gears alot maybe not as fast as those guys but stuff held together!

One of my all time favorite cars.

I learned my first lesson about GM motor mount safety chains the night I came home with my used 66 Chevelle 283/4v/4sp and needed to prove to my friends a 283 could break the posi loose with a holeshot.

Had to buy a used hood as original one was bent beyond repair... sigh. 

1 hour ago, MTO said:

I learned my first lesson about GM motor mount safety chains the night I came home with my used 66 Chevelle 283/4v/4sp and needed to prove to my friends a 283 could break the posi loose with a holeshot.

Didn't they have factory cables to secure motor mounts.? Just remember high school auto mech class and one of the guys had a 67 or 8 station wagon with safety cables could have been aftermarket 

7 hours ago, dale560 said:

Didn't they have factory cables to secure motor mounts.? Just remember high school auto mech class and one of the guys had a 67 or 8 station wagon with safety cables could have been aftermarket 

Naw....that was for when the battery was dead. Wrap it around the front pulley and tug it like an old motorboat...

8 hours ago, MTO said:

It didnt break the motor mounts....dang bolt fell out on the way home...sheesh...283 aint never broke anything!!

11 hours ago, dale560 said:

I think the cables were aftermarket, dunno BUT GM`s updated mounts had a steel travel stop/lock built into them. 

4 hours ago, new guy said:

Naw....that was for when the battery was dead. Wrap it around the front pulley and tug it like an old motorboat...

mopig guys and their whiny starters...

4 hours ago, new guy said:

It didnt break the motor mounts....dang bolt fell out on the way home...sheesh...283 aint never broke anything!!

You must be thinking of the 2-SEVENTY-3...

If I remember right the station wagon had cables with factory made loop wrapped around A arm rod and bolted to exhaust manifold with a stud . But that was 30 years ago.

21 minutes ago, dale560 said:

If I remember right the station wagon had cables with factory made loop wrapped around A arm rod and bolted to exhaust manifold with a stud . But that was 30 years ago.

I had a 67 Impala that had those cables. 

I think cables were added by DEALER after many mounts failed.

I recall my buddy`s 70 Nova broke the passenger side mount when he did a reverse burnout. 

We all put chains on BOTH mounts after that. 

i made the mistake of letting my younger brother use my new 65 impala SS  w/ 283 and 4sp while away at national guard camp he promptly  torqued it and trashed the fan and shroud, but had it fixed when i got back.  warranty  fixed it, they put the cables on it. we faked a lot of guys out w/ that 283. at that time 283 was the only chevy V8 to burn regular gas.

I put tie down chains on my 440. All I did was break chains. Finally started using first Gen Cummins mounts. No more worries.

Several aftermarket places had solid steel engine mounts. I just drilled my factory mounts and ran 7/16" grade 8 bolts thru the engine side to the frame side and the transmission mount also. Never broke another. But it was a lot noisier inside after that. I ran a 1969 Dart Swinger 340 with 4 speed. Got pretty decent with shifting after I went with a genuine Hurst shifter and not the factory imitation one. Plus I got tired of pulling that heavy transmission to rebuild it. Like they say, "back in the good old days."

The adding of the cables was one of the first safety recalls by a car manufacturer. The mount would break and jam the throttle in the open position.

70 Boss 302, all had 4 speed toploaders.   Engine gone so I put in a 390 and added a Hurst super shifter 3.   I hurt two different transmissions with that set up but sure was fun jamming gears!!!   Have a 4 speed and an in line shifter in the basement that is going in the 63 short step Chevy this winter, can't wait to sidestep that clutch and run it through the gears.   

On 11/27/2017 at 1:15 PM, MTO said:

"Raced for pinks"

Yeah, heard "Title for Title" hundreds of times back in the 70s. 

Only did it once, won, and gave him his car back.

1. Knew my SS 396 could eat his stock 350 Chevelle.

2. Race was 2 miles long

3. He was drunk, VERY drunk.

Race started in downtown with all the lights/stop signs, proceeded to open two lane then onto clear 4 lanes. 

The sneaky drunk SOB ran EVERY  stoplight/sign while I stopped and he had a 1/4 mile or better on me by the time I reached the open road.

I saw my tach in the redline when I BARELY beat him to finish. 

Whew!

He jumped out of his car, threw his keys onto my hood and started walking the 5 miles home. 

I pulled up to him and threw his keys back.

I had 3,  a 70/71/72 Chevelles already anyhow...

Title for title was more of a test of balls than brains. 

MTO, that reminds me of a story about my Dad that I heard from my uncle. Ofcoarse Dad or his buddy wouldn't fess up. 

Dad, uncle, and some buddies were working in the 80's out of town somewhere in Louisiana. They decided to go to the bar like usual. All these guys were in late 20's. One of them drove a trans am "DL" was his name. So after a few too many beers DL ran his mouth enough about his trans am and how fast it was a guy came up and said oh yah tuff guy I'll race you "title for title". So they agreed. Now Dad supposedly was trying to talk old DL out of this, but the story I got from other sources said otherwise. So they all go outside and this local has a mean looking old chevy with a scoop hanging out of the hood and slicks on the back. They said when he started it up it just went. Whomp.......Whomp.....as it idled. They said it sounded like 1000hp. And they all thought ol' DL was about to loose his TA or at the very least get into a huge fight. So about that time Ol' DL hopped into his car and just flat matted it around the corner of the bar and commenced to burning donuts in the parking lot. They said Dad was agging them all on. Round and Round he went until he finally slid around next to the old chevy and came to a screeching halt lined up perfectly side by side as he leaned out the widow with his arm out. WHHHEEEWWW Yelled my Dad. LOOOK at that SOB!!!! So the local guy said. F That man I ain't racing him he's a professional.. forget this!!!  And just like that the race was over.  WELL I mentioned Ol' DL had been drinking a few.  He had managed to fall over in the car on is first donut and didn't regain his balance until he almost slid into his opponent. By a pure miracle he didn't hit anything or anyone. Well they all decided to call it a night and he made it 1/4 mile down the road before putting it in the ditch. Probably for the better. This was a long time ago even before I was around and neither person is around but I'll bet they are laughing about it. 

9 hours ago, MTO said:

mopig guys and their whiny starters...

Gotta love em.....reminds me of a mechanic i know out east...😁

1 hour ago, new guy said:

Need this on the Mopars 

Screenshot_20171128-161429.jpg

Is that to keep the mopar from rattling all the bolts out?

17 minutes ago, metamora farmall said:

Is that to keep the mopar from rattling all the bolts out?

Zastava Koral 1.3L used these supports also...