Sign in to follow this  
MTO

If dog breeders would stop for just a few years...

One of my 3 rescued dogs is nearing the end.

She`s still eating/drinking but has difficulty walking very far.

Don`t wanna get into a euthanization argument either but...

Glucosamine/chondroitin has helped some but anyhow,

Took a walk through our local rescue which is VERY tough for me.

The cages are full and there is a waiting list of pets to come in when room opens up.

I can`t help but get angry when I read ALL the ads for dog breeders. The prices for a "purebreed" or all these "designer" dogs is nothing more than greedy people imo. 

Yeah, everyone wants a "social status" pet they can brag about over drinks at the club but come on people!

If we would just shut down breeding for a few years, the effect on these overloaded rescues would be tremendous. 

Spay/neuter has come a LONG way in this country and could still improve.

Think about this when you go to buy a "breeder" pet. 

Have more than one family member piSSed at me when I bounce them about buying a breeder pet and couldn`t care less.

Don`t support these breeders! Rescue!

You`ll sleep SO much better and so will the pet you rescued. 

This old boy, Shep who is 10, has been in a cage for 3 YEARS!

But I know of someone who MIGHT take him home soon. 

3 freakin years in a cage!

And I think I found one myself too when Ruby is gone. 

Wished I could take them ALL home!

Shep

I was at our local ASPCA the other day checking on a lost beagle. ( She is home safe ,wasn't far away either)   9 Pit bulls awaiting adoption, most from abusive owners. Can't be near children or other animals. Damm shame.  Its like people think they are something to throw away.

My chocolate lab is a rescue dog. She is 14. I will get another rescue. I'm thinking about getting one before she goes so she can teach him/her. There are breeders popping up all over. But hunting dogs you need certain breeds.

As most of u know the monkey is a rescue dog. His heart failure is becoming more prevalent but still has good energy and eats and drinks like a horse. People and greed are a nasty combo. Couple that with irresponsible humans and you have overcrowded kennels.

If they wouldn't allow stores like PETCO to sell dogs/cats around the holiday season.

I haven't posted on this site in several years, but still read it from time to time.  This post left me shocked:

1 hour ago, BOBSIH856 said:

If they wouldn't allow stores like PETCO to sell dogs/cats around the holiday season.

Who is they?  And under what authority would "they" prevent legal businesses from engaging in capitalism?

And by the way I am not a breeder and have never bought a dog from a pet store or a breeder.  I typically have gotten them neighbors or friends who are giving them away.  I did inquire about a rescue/shelter dog once.  In conversation I mentioned the dog would have plenty of room to run on our farm.  She asked if the dog would be kept outside, and I told her yes.  I was shamed and told she would never allow a dog to be adopted by someone who didn't want to keep it with them all of the time.  

That blew my mind.

6 minutes ago, EastCentMOIH said:

I haven't posted on this site in several years, but still read it from time to time.  This post left me shocked:

Who is they?  And under what authority would "they" prevent legal businesses from engaging in capitalism?

And by the way I am not a breeder and have never bought a dog from a pet store or a breeder.  I typically have gotten them neighbors or friends who are giving them away.  I did inquire about a rescue/shelter dog once.  In conversation I mentioned the dog would have plenty of room to run on our farm.  She asked if the dog would be kept outside, and I told her yes.  I was shamed and told she would never allow a dog to be adopted by someone who didn't want to keep it with them all of the time.  

That blew my mind.

Yep. Many, if not most, shelters expect pets to be kept indoors. 

Sometimes, a guy has to lie.

BUT, many if not ALL pets prefer to be outside!

Provide shelter/food/water and they`re happy/safe. 

And by "they" I think he means it`s up to buyers to NOT buy these pets as a LOT of Christmas pets end up tied to the tree out back by New Years. 

We have a growing number of rescue pets, dogs and cats. No need for pedigree's here

Out here at least it's become fashionable with the younger set to have rescue animals. On the down side my son and daughter in law have gone that path and have wound up with problem animals. The current problem child is a Blue Healer sneaky neighbor dog mix. Way too energetic and exuberant for an in town dog around small children. Being on a farm we may take him in. Nice dog really, just too excitable in town. If we do that we will find a small in town type pup for the grand daughters and they can visit their other dog that lives with grand parents once or twice a week.

I've had a long standing hatred of puppy mills and stores like Petco. They just don't care about taking care of the animals.

Rick

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

If we do that we will find a small in town type pup for the grand daughters

Rick

Check out mini foxies

3 hours ago, EastCentMOIH said:

That blew my mind.

A lot of people impulse buy pets especially around the holiday season . Then when the pets newness wears off or owners get bored they dump the pet off at a shelter or along the road.

Big problem this time of year with pit bulls that were guard dogs for the weed grows just turning them loose to run. Pound is full of them.

Ya ''Buddy'' is our rescue dog from the ann arbor  area.

have had him for about 10 years and now resides in his lazy boy

we figure he was beaten and dumped around saline by hunters [he is a German Short Hair]

first and last time out he worked a perfict cloverleaf pattern in the field and was having a great time running

the bird went up, one shot fired and it was over for Buddy.

scaired and shaking he came back to me and would not hunt any more no madder how hard we tried.

so hes a house dog

Mike

I own a cow dog, I will always have nothing but cow dogs, I only want good dogs that come from good breeds, if that requires a breeder then so be it.

PETA is the biggest killer of animals their is...

1 hour ago, SMiller said:

I own a cow dog, I will always have nothing but cow dogs, I only want good dogs that come from good breeds, if that requires a breeder then so be it.

PETA is the biggest killer of animals their is...

He has SPOKEN!

I love dogs! The only dogs I ever paid a dime for were my English Setter I had when I was 12 and my Weimaraner I bought when I was 28. Think I paid $150 for the  ES and $100 for the Weim. The Weim was the best dog I've ever owned. All the other dogs I've owned were "adopted" via just letting them stay here after they showed up from wherever. I have two labs and a Husky now that were dumped and I kept.

I'd buy another Weim in a heartbeat but I'm not paying $1200 for one with a pedigree.

We just got a Sheppard/Black Lab mix from a rescue place a couple months ago.  The dog is about 1.5 years old and has been nothing but the best around the farm and with the kids.  We couldn't have asked for anything better and we didn't have to go through the whole puppy phase.

The application process to get into the "adoption club" left much to be desired on my end though.  Started with an online application, then phone interview, then you can see which dogs are available, then you find one you like, then phone interview with adoption place that holds the dog, then and only then if you are approved you can do an in person interview with the dog and decide if its the right fit.  We were significantly limited in which dogs we could even have as option from the adoption place because we made it clear from the beginning that we wanted an outside dog only.  We told them we have a place in the barn with protection from the elements, a blanket to lay on, and a dish with food and water filled everyday.  Almost every time we were turned away when asked where the dog would stay.  After 6 month in the "program" we had seen pictures of only 3 dogs that were options.  It seems to me that with so many available it wouldn't be so difficult to adopt.

The somewhat ironic part is after all the questions about where is the dog going to sleep, eat, and drink our dog chooses to lay on the concrete porch in front of our house all night even in the winter weather we've had.

Jesse

That's my issue with shelters, cost was the same as the dang purebred wife had to have.... 4 page application, was a cowpup we adopted, wanted to know if yard was fenced told them yes glad they did not ask what kind, wanted us to take the dog with us 24-7. In general a bad experience on our end....

I have not bought a dog, ever.  I have a hard time getting rid of the ones that show up here. 

I love my dogs though.  Probably too much (nothing wierd).

We are looking for a Livestock guardian dog for our sheep.  My daughter who volunteers at a shelter found a Great Pyrenees puppy we are adopting. I was hoping for a komonodor or anatolian but I think it is good to take a shelter dog.  I HATE for dogs to be put down for no reason...  I know it is necessary but I don't have to like it.

Thx-Ace

There are no free dogs any longer in this area.  My last dog died in Oct of 16. She was absolutely free, [a Pomeranian cross] delivered to my house as a pup 13 years earlier. 

I have been looking for a replacement pup this whole year 2017, mostly on craigslist and the local dog catcher places.  All of the dogcatcher places want $250. or so for the type of pup I want, if they had one.  To be honest the majority of the available dogs are large dogs that are left over from the guard dog mentality, and I have no trust in a large older dog that some misguided person wanted to train for a guard dog. Basically grown dogs over around 30# are off my list. 

I want a larger  Pomeranian or smaller Schnauzer or an average Beagle, after 100's of hours looking, I have only found these from breeders and at prices much higher than I will pay.

So I guess I also contribute to the large dog surpluses in the county pound, humane society  or petco parking lot. 

Thanks for sharing M , I know it will work out. 

My last few have been rescues. Haven't been any strays around here in years. With all the coyotes they never see sunup. Used to raise cowdogs. Quit when I got sick of seeing them sell and leave. Local shelter operator is dumber than dog doo. Just a few random thoughts.

The local SPCA here charges $400 to "adopt" a dog that has desirable breed traits and $175 for the others, aka blockheads.Even at those prices they are often sold out. They just imported 150 dogs from the Houston area to sell here. Most "rescue" places want $500 and a lot you have to send the money and they send you a dog.  How is this any different than a breeder selling puppies? The object is the same. sell dogs, get $cash. My wife and I looked for 2 months going to every rescue, spca and dog pound within 50 miles and didn't find anything we wanted to spend that kind of money on. Then I saw an ad on a nearby craigslist "Collie puppies $50". We went intending to get one and came home with 2. They had 10 to pick from. It's been 20 years since we had puppies this young but are loving every minute of it. Even my 11 year old German Shepherd is acting more puppy like.  I'm really grateful to those folks for making these pups available and affordable.

001.JPG

I am on my 3rd border collie.  First was a rescue from the local(not national) humane society.  Wonderful dog that just needed out of the city so she could sleep by the back door on a snowbank if she wanted, or in her dog house if that was what she wanted.  Always right by my side and wanting to work.  Second was a stock dog that just flunked herding.  Not really a rescue, just a dog that didn't have to herd and was the most wonderful partner I ever had.  She just died this fall.  Only 13, but she spent 10 years as my shadow and I sure do miss her.  The third and present one is a rescue from the city life penned up in someone's back yard for his first 2 years with no education.  He was a complete knothead 4 months ago.  But he is smart and is catching on fast.  I won't be training him to do much of anything except be a buddy.  I am the one that is almost too old to keep up with a young border.  He does want to spend his nights in the house and that is okay.  Porch and basement.  During the day he is outside doing mostly whatever he wants which is mostly chasing sparrows from one bush to another or carrying sticks around.  The gal I got him from is actually a groomer and not a rescue outfit.  She just knew this dog needed help and I accidently found him looking around on the internet last spring.  She mentioned him in one of her postings having to do with grooming.

My first and third borders were obviously started by someone who thought border collies were cute and smart and really did not understand the environment in which they needed to live.  Lots to do and lots of space to do it.  I got the second one from the breeder that supplies stock dogs to ranchers and shepherds.  Free dog, paid for shots and spay and air freight from Idaho to Iowa.  200 bucks and a real bargain.

Ron