Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehammer

Deer season opens today...

Whitetail firearm season opens today in the communist land of Illinois. We get 7 days a year to gun hunt (shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol, no rifles) scattered over two weekends. It can be an awful madhouse in the woods at times but I still look forward to being out in the woods. Every year reminds me of the first time I was allowed to go with my Grandfather years ago.  I know some of you have already bagged the big one (bitty ;)) so the rest of us have big shoes to fill. In about an hour and a half I will see what I can find. Trail cameras show some worthy contenders but time will tell if they will make an appearance or not.  The howitzer is dialed in and ready to go...

Good luck on the hunt.  Traditional firearm season runs from November 15 through November 30 here.  It's a great time of the year as deer camps come to life and friends reunite for a couple weeks.

1 minute ago, bob_carr said:

Good luck on the hunt.  Traditional firearm season runs from November 15 through November 30 here.  It's a great time of the year as deer camps come to life and friends reunite for a couple weeks.

Thank You.

My brother and I hunt together. I am lucky and can normally walk to a spot from the house.  Back before marriage and kids a bunch of us would get together the night before season, have big pot of chili going, and tell lies to each other but that has ended as we have aged. 

Good luck Sledgehammer. Our gun season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. I am taking one or two of the boys out ( mentor youth hunting). Be safe and have fun.

Funny thing is that uncle George referred to Illinois as a communist state also from his days at Hinsdale

Dayoopers are great for getting in the mood for what time of year it is

Good Luck Sledge! Here in Mn. I've seen only one shooter and it jumped off into the willows before I could get a bead on her. Again good luck and be safe.

With light came wind and fog. Just had a doe and spike run by.

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

Good luck

The best buck I have ever shot was on a foggy morning so hope your day is as good.

Indiana archery season began October 1 and runs thru the first full weekend of January and so far I have not seen any deer while hunting. Gun season begins November 18 this year and runs thru December 3 with shotgun, ML, certain calibers of handguns, and rifles. Weather guessers are calling for 30 to 60 mph winds and heavy rains so not confident for tomorrow either. Talked with some other farms around here and they all complain about deer damage but will not let anybody hunt on their property. Guess I need to take up deer shooting as some do, spotlight and a pickup truck. Not really, I was not raised that way.

I used to hunt with a bow a lot. Any more I can't bring myself to spend the time I used to bow hunting (wife,son) so I hung the bow up for now. The weather for tomorrow looks bad here also. I normally head hunt the first day and then fill a tag with anything but a small buck after that. We really enjoy venison so at least 1 will go in the freezer each year. 

Ive seen 4 so far. 3 within range

Good luck. That seems crazy they don't allow rifles during firearm season.

the cover looks alot like the farm we hunted in sandusky Mi.years ago

enjoy the day and be safe

Mike

Good luck Sledgehammer. Ohio starts Nov 27 to Dec 3 for gun.

I've seen 4 so far after lunch. Smaller 8 pt pushing does in a field. The fog burned off a little after 11. A little warmer and windy now. 

regular gun season starts tomorrow here. there was a youth hunt 2? weekends ago, and our herdsman took his daughter (14?) out and she got a doe. there has been a smallish buck across the road that herdsman has had his eye on. i can't hit the broad side of a barn, so i don't hunt.

First day of deer camp ! 👍🏹

Knocked down a doe this morning, wasn't much movement this afternoon once it heated up, tomorrow will be interesting with the rain and wind in the forecast. 

IMG_20171117_162341965.jpg

First day in pa is like nothing you can imagine with maybe 2 million hunters open up high power rifles at 7am 

Closest tonight was 150yds. I don't mind taking that shot but it is just the first day and was right at dark. The muzzleloader is more than capable.  

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

Closest tonight was 150yds. I don't mind taking that shot but it is just the first day and was right at dark. The muzzleloader is more than capable.  

I read once in my American Hunter magazine to take the first shot you know that you are capable of as a better opportunity won't always present itself

Good luck tomorrow if you have time to go out yet

Good luck guys.

Our season opened last Sat. here in MO. I don't hunt firearms seasons anymore. I'm exclusively a bow hunter though I don't take time to go much these days. I've gone once this fall, last Tuesday evening and tagged a doe on that hunt. They're thick here, I manage the wildlife on a 2500 ranch here, 100+ acres of food plots, 30+ trail cameras, winter/spring feeders (farm raised grain only). It's awesome, I have more fun with it than should be legally allowed.^_^

DSCF0997.JPG

That sounds like great fun. We have some video of a few nice ones but it won't load due to the file type. The one I'm looking for is 150" plus pretty easy. 

The weather sounds bad for tomorrow so I may go about 8 miles North to my brother's place. He has more bedding area and a couple towers with roofs to keep the rain off.  I suspect they will stay in tight to cover around the storms and not move very far but that is a guess. 

18' to the floor of the tower.  Built around four telephone poles.  I have been gathering scrap barn metal to replace the wooden sides with metal for longevity.  

IMG_2618.JPG

That's a neat stand.

I generally hunt from ladder stands in the timber, that's what I prefer personally. I usually take the third ladder section and store it away and just use two. I like my stands about 10' tall, I seem to get by great with that height. I have a couple of home made elevated and enclosed blinds here at home that are 12' to the floor, 10'x10' platform. Those work nice. The ranch is almost fully stocked with Redneck elevated blinds on 15' stands. They're nice and all but I prefer my old cheapy ladders to be honest. I like getting to the stand and hopping up a few rungs and sitting down settled as fast as possible nestled in and ready for action with an easy 360 view.

We have some dandy bucks this year, management has really paid off this year. We have several 150 range bucks and five or six above that. We've raised our average mature buck from the 110" range to ~ 130 since 2012 and increased age structure a great deal as well. We have a dozen bucks this year 7 years and older.

MFDC0016.JPG

MFDC0396 (2).JPG

I like to be up as high as I can get. Back when I bow hunted a lot from a climber I had a 30' pull up rope. When the rope got tight I quit climbing. When gun hunting, I actually spend a lot of time on the ground. Carry a pad with me in my pack and sit where I see fit. Sure, it has got me busted before but so have deer stands. 

Day two. Up in the tower pictured earlier. Got settled and the rain has started. Not getting too wet yet with the roof but starting to wish the sides were shorter as it is blowing in some. Anything but a little buck is fair game today. 

So different than hunting here...climbed to shoot this year but it was mountains not stands...best of luck.

No luck this morning. Started raining and blowing hard. I might try and get out between storms this afternoon.