Sign in to follow this  
maxxum 140

1985 s2300

I have a 1985 S2300 single axle truck and it has two fuel tanks, my question is my fuel gauge reads 1/2 full all the time.  Just wondering what is possibly wrong? Is it the gauge and if it is how do I check that, or I do I check the sending unit and in which tank is it in?  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Should be wire running to the tank with the fuel sending unit in it. Pull sending unit, ground it and have a helper watch the gauge for movement as you move the float arm  up and down. If you don't get any movement put positive lead from ohm meter on wire from the dash gauge and the ground lead from ohm meter to the body of the sending unit. Move the float arm up and down and the meter should show movement through the whole range of the float arm. Don't remember the ohm range is but you should see movement on the meter anyway. If you have full movement on the meter the sending unit is good and the problem is with the gauge. There are different ohm ranges depending on the manufacturer. ie if you have a gauge with a 60 to 100 ohm range the sending unit has to be a 60 to 100 ohm range. If one or the other has been changed over the years and the ohm range is not the same on them you will not get a good reading. 

Dennis

Do you use both tanks? Maybe the sender is on the tank that's half full, that you aren't using.

Have had a couple do what your saying and it was the gauge that was bad. Jingles is correct on how to test the sender. That is where you want to start is at the sender. Besides seeing the resistance change with movement of the float arm you should also see voltage from the gauge coming to the sender.