Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Bottle bombs

This may be old news to some but learned this AM about "pranksters" making small but DANGEROUS bombs out of Drano/tin foil and water.

They leave them laying around and when picked up/moved, they explode.

WTH is wrong with people?!!

18 minutes ago, MTO said:

This may be old news to some but learned this AM about "pranksters" making small but DANGEROUS bombs out of Drano/tin foil and water.

They leave them laying around and when picked up/moved, they explode.

WTH is wrong with people?!!

Not Drano but toilet bowl cleaner. We did that 30 years ago when it was actually tin foil this stuff now a days is aluminum foil doesn’t work.

And when I saw the title at first I thought you meant those bottles with the off colored water in them truckers toss out....

3 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

And when I saw the title at first I thought you meant those bottles with the off colored water in them truckers toss out....

Often wonder why people sit out half consumed bottles of apple juice!

Maybe it goes bad/sour on them... dunno. 

I thought you were talking dry ice bombs. We used to make those. First time i was ever contacted by the 5-0. Did it in one of those 20 gallon water jugs for the freestanding office things. Or however big it is. All i know is it finally let loose as a cop was going by and the neighbor turned us in. Stupid stupid stupid...now i have licenses for dat

I`ve heard these "citizens" have been sitting the unshaken mixtures in obvious locations and unsuspecting people pick them up and the shaking excites the mixture and serious injury has occurred. 

I`ve picked up my last half full bottle on our highway cleanup details!

We called them "Works Bombs" since people used The Works toilet bowl cleaner in them.  It is a chemical reaction but I've never heard of them being left for people to pick up later.  If every one I ever saw the chemical reaction started right away when the toilet bowl cleaner started eating the foil.  Sounds about like a 12 gauge going off.  What's next, potato gun artillery strikes?

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

We called them "Works Bombs" since people used The Works toilet bowl cleaner in them.  It is a chemical reaction but I've never heard of them being left for people to pick up later.  If every one I ever saw the chemical reaction started right away when the toilet bowl cleaner started eating the foil.  Sounds about like a 12 gauge going off.  What's next, potato gun artillery strikes?

Same here.  The works...works. It starts right away but always took several minutes to explode. Then it was limited to how good the bottle was to how loud it got. One time a buddy and I tried this out in the backyard. Threw it down the hill into the woods. Waited and waited... nothing. Pretty quick dad was coming up the driveway so we high tailed it back to the house and sat down on the couch. Dad comes in and says what are you boys up to...  well about that time  KABBBBOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!

we looked outside and the whole yard was full of Smoke. In the words of Ricky Ricardo. LUCY, you got some splainin' to do. Or as my daughter says I SORRY!

6 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Trucker lemonade?

I've always known them as McGyver (sp?) Bombs

For some of us, MRE bombs are the noise maker of choice😬

This is what happens when you eliminate all the fun fireworks. Kids like things that explode, if you take away legitimate things that go boom, they will find a way to make something more dangerous. 

Made works bombs as a kid, stuff it in someone's mailbox and it would blow the back panel out and mangle the door like a cherry bomb in a tin can..... seemed like so much fun back in the day. Mom would get so frustrated when 1/2 her Mason jars were missing. Quite the loss looking back, the heavier antique ones made the best boom.

Do we really ever grow up out of it? How many people here like a good tanerite explosion? A couple yrs ago I went so far as buying all the equipment I needed to make my own black powder fireworks. Nothing so satisfying than starting with the raw materials to make the powder, mixing and grinding with a ball mill, granulating the powder, rolling the tubes and filling them, then blowing up all the hard work ; )

We called them Works Bombs, too.  Gatorade bottles work the best, but take a lot of tinfoil.

The reaction takes a long time to happen.  (Almost a minute). If you hold a bottle that starts heating up and smoking you are a little crazy!

a 20oz plastic soda bottle will get almost the size of a basketball before it goes.  Glass bottles were always something to strongly caution.  I have seen them sit for several minutes before blowing.  We normally kept a gun around if it didn't go off for some reason so it could be punctured from a safe distance.  

Never thought of using plastic......

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎15 at 12:07 PM, jass1660 said:

It's the way of the road.

I musta lived under a rock. Never heard of or saw this done.

We were busy fixing up junk cars to chase girls with. 

See where that got us... sigh.

1 hour ago, MTO said:

I musta lived under a rock. Never heard of or saw this done.

We were busy fixing up junk cars to chase girls with. 

See where that got us... sigh.

Yeah....alimony

48 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Yeah....alimony

you play, you pay.

screwin you get for screwin you got.

tits and tires.

there`s a hundred sayings from marriages past... sigh.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:37 AM, Cattech said:

This is what happens when you eliminate all the fun fireworks. Kids like things that explode, if you take away legitimate things that go boom, they will find a way to make something more dangerous. 

Made works bombs as a kid, stuff it in someone's mailbox and it would blow the back panel out and mangle the door like a cherry bomb in a tin can..... seemed like so much fun back in the day. Mom would get so frustrated when 1/2 her Mason jars were missing. Quite the loss looking back, the heavier antique ones made the best boom.

Do we really ever grow up out of it? How many people here like a good tanerite explosion? A couple yrs ago I went so far as buying all the equipment I needed to make my own black powder fireworks. Nothing so satisfying than starting with the raw materials to make the powder, mixing and grinding with a ball mill, granulating the powder, rolling the tubes and filling them, then blowing up all the hard work ; )

Mmm, the louder the better. My son got bored one day and decided to take some scrap steel of mine and make a golf ball cannon. 4 foot pipe and alot of reinforcement. We live by a golf course and he loves touching that thing off when golfers are on the ninth hole, not to mention he drops a lot of "extra" balls out there for them to try and find theirs. The other neighbors know when he's bored as well

I see those bottles along the way and feel so inadequate. I couldn't reach the neck of a bottle with my turkey neck. No way  

LOL John 

**** with works bomb! Snuff can bomb was way better than again my one buddys grandpa who passed away had enough black powder in his basement to over load a semi truck! And his grandma didnt care what my buddy took outta grandpas basement so we built some perty big black powder bombs back in the day!