Sign in to follow this  
rodhergott

Reasonably priced oil filters canada

Can anyone recommend a supplier of oil filters in canada.    I have a lot of tractors and I’m trying to save a buck

I have noticed that the prices at CIH are high up here for filters.   The topic of filters have come up on this board a few times.  It’s a typical debate items - some say CIH filters only, some say not.  I would try a local truck and trailer parts store.  I use Donaldson products, they are about 1/2 the cost of CIH filters.  I think if you stick with a decent jobber filter you will be fine.  

Try NAPA.  In the spring they have a filter sale at greatly reduced prices  you give them a list and pick them up when they come in.

I don't know if they ship to canada for free, but I get all my filters from filter1.com   They have about the best prices on wix filters I have found and ship for free if you buy $50 worth. I usually order a years worth at a time so its well over the $50 mark.

Find yourself a A&I dealer they sell fleetguard filters

Fleetguard filters are now made in Mexico.  They make some of the CNH filters.  I have changed to WIX on most filters unless I have a compelling reason to use CNH filters.  Too bad that CAT does not make filters that cross over to old IH filters, as they make a very good filter.  Joint venture with Donaldson and CAT.  Have their own factory and specs.  Use a quality filter and dont let price be the determination for purchase.  No FRAM and NO No No Baldwin.

14 minutes ago, rsscott said:

Fleetguard filters are now made in Mexico.  They make some of the CNH filters.  I have changed to WIX on most filters unless I have a compelling reason to use CNH filters.  Too bad that CAT does not make filters that cross over to old IH filters, as they make a very good filter.  Joint venture with Donaldson and CAT.  Have their own factory and specs.  Use a quality filter and dont let price be the determination for purchase.  No FRAM and NO No No Baldwin.

We got several million mile trucks at work and all this company uses is Fram and Baldwin. Trucks are abused too, no idling allowed no cool down or warmup and package cars get started several hundred times a day. 

Donaldson or Fleetguard are the OEM substitutes. Fleetguard has wide distribution but not sure on Donaldson.

1 minute ago, jass1660 said:

We got several million mile trucks at work and all this company uses is Fram and Baldwin. Trucks are abused too, no idling allowed no cool down or warmup and package cars get started several hundred times a day. 

Cut a Fram open and look at how the pleats are sealed at the ends.  You'll get it then.  The ends are paper.  I have seen two new Toyota trucks ruined by the pleated paper coming loose in Fram filters.  Not for me.  I have not seen any problems with Baldwin myself, but was warned away from them by a member of this forum, that everyone on here knows and will remain nameless.  I took his work for it.

10 hours ago, Sask466 said:

I have noticed that the prices at CIH are high up here for filters.   The topic of filters have come up on this board a few times.  It’s a typical debate items - some say CIH filters only, some say not.  I would try a local truck and trailer parts store.  I use Donaldson products, they are about 1/2 the cost of CIH filters.  I think if you stick with a decent jobber filter you will be fine.  

Do you know what retailing chain sells Donaldson? I prefer them to Fleetguard and would like to know.

X2 o n Napagold/wix filters for price and quality.

Just checked out Baldwin filter web site. Seems they started in Wisconsin in the 30s . Moved to Nebraska in the late 40s to an old Air Force base. The founder sold it to new owners in the 80s after suffering a stroke. They bought out Hastings premium filters made in Yankton Sd in the 90s. And are now owned by a group that had the Parker hyd hose and fitting line.  I always wondered what happened to Hastings.So by all means they sure sound like a second or third rate fly by night screw you over filter company. Down here in the USA the dealers are surprisingly competitive on filters and oil. If not I like napa but they have the gold line for the better filters.

Did some more checking on Magnum, Maxxum and IH D414 filters. Found the supplier for Donaldson and Fleetguard in my area. The Donaldson products are exactly the same as what is used by CNH but about 15% cheaper which is to be expected. The Fleetguard on the other hand for the Magnum 7130 is made with the Micro Lock paper and a cheaper version without the Micro Lock. Couldn't understand why the Fleetguard was less than half the price and then the parts man told me it is made in two versions. The proper version for the Magnum is about 15 % cheaper than CNH version (84229397). So also with the Maxxum MX 120 and D414 filters for the 966. Even CNH was reasonable on the Maxxum and D414 filters. It is just the Magnum filters that they are pricey on.       

1 hour ago, George 2 said:

Do you know what retailing chain sells Donaldson? I prefer them to Fleetguard and would like to know.

Try a Freightliner dealership, I know Donaldson supplies Freightliner their air filters.

1 hour ago, rsscott said:

Cut a Fram open and look at how the pleats are sealed at the ends.  You'll get it then.  The ends are paper.  I have seen two new Toyota trucks ruined by the pleated paper coming loose in Fram filters.  Not for me.  I have not seen any problems with Baldwin myself, but was warned away from them by a member of this forum, that everyone on here knows and will remain nameless.  I took his work for it.

That’s what they use at UPS, myself for my three vehicles it’s either Napa gold or  Motorcraft. 

9 minutes ago, SNERLAND said:

What is wrong with Baldwin filters?

I think Troydairy on here uses Baldwin filters, think he said his 186 hydro engine wore out at 17,000 hours.

I'm Not sure where you are, but Napa runs a sale in winter here. Big savings. We used to get filters through RME on their filter sale, but now were getting filter at 1/4-1/2 the price, depending on what filter. 

Been using wix for at least 20 years from my local parts store.  Never any problems and at least 1/3 the cost as from CIH.

jerry

“Traction” sells Donaldson filters here in the prairies.  They are a truck parts chain.

On another car forum, there was a member who had been a liability lawyer for one of the big filter manufacturers.  At that time (about 15 years ago), he said there were only 3 filter manufacturers in the U.S., and out of the three, WIX was hands-down the best.

35 minutes ago, Sask466 said:

“Traction” sells Donaldson filters here in the prairies.  They are a truck parts chain.

Traction is combined with Napa here. All Napa gold/wix

I didn’t know they were affiliated.  Here in Regina they are both stand-alone stores.

They used to be seperate in Brandon, but they joined quite a few years ago.