RH8MACHINE

1979 S-1824 HYDRAULIC BRAKE QUESTION

Hydraulic brake component question.  What do you call this part in second picture ?  This some type of abs unit ?

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3328.JPG

No ABS on these trucks.

I'm not familiar with the parts, but there was a hydraulic power brake system used with an electric backup in case of engine failure so you still had power brakes.  I'm guessing that's what that is.

I think that's right. When I worked on school buses we had that same system if memory serves. If you push brake pedal hard with engine off that pump kicks on and gives you power brakes. 

Cool, I think you are right.  With the truck off and you touch the pedal you can hear a pump run.  I hope the internals are ok, the truck has sat many years with a broken brake line, I'm just getting to moving it into the shed to restore it.  I wonder if the pump runs with the engine running like a power assist ?  I'd like to know what you call the part so I  could look up how to rebuild it.  Or who makes it, I've read Bendix makes these pumps.  I can't find any pictures online of this same part, which worries me.

I don't think the electric pumps runs if the truck engine is running.