Sign in to follow this  
IHC5488

86-88 door seals

Has any one had much luck with removing the foam door seals and glue that was used to adhere the inside seals?  What to use or not to?  Tools?  Or just good old elbow grease?  TIA, Matt

I've been told good parts cleaner out of an aerosol can, let it soak for a bit first.

I use the sandblaster when I’m painting one other wise a good scraper and some adhesive remover

Acetone works pretty good haven't used it on 86-88 series door seals but have on other applications.

what about rubber wheel on slow die grinder ? what we use on almost all 2 side tape decals , emblems and trim . if used correct don't harm paint ,,,, Greg

pull the seals off best you can, soak it with a good brake clean let it sit.  it will come right out.  may have to apply second brake clean but works great.  Us the BLACK weather strip adhesive when you go back on.   Or buy the seals from me ours have the tape on them so no glueing

Mike

18 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

pull the seals off best you can, soak it with a good brake clean let it sit.  it will come right out.  may have to apply second brake clean but works great.  Us the BLACK weather strip adhesive when you go back on.   Or buy the seals from me ours have the tape on them so no glueing

Mike

I have tried the brake cleaner with a small scraper and putty knives.  I probably was not letting it sit long enough to do it job.  Just one of those things I hate doing.

Thanks for the help!!

Matt

If you are going to paint the door, pour Lightning Stripper down into the channel.  Cuts everything out,  down to the metal.  Don't do this unless you are going to repaint the door anyway, because if you do, you get to repaint the whole door anyway.

2 hours ago, rsscott said:

If you are going to paint the door, pour Lightning Stripper down into the channel.  Cuts everything out,  down to the metal.  Don't do this unless you are going to repaint the door anyway, because if you do, you get to repaint the whole door anyway.

Is this the stuff you are referring to: http://lightningstrip.us/

8 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Is this the stuff you are referring to: http://lightningstrip.us/

That's it.  Eats the paint off right down to bare metal.

11 hours ago, rsscott said:

That's it.  Eats the paint off right down to bare metal.

Small world. I actually help maintain that website too. Real Products is located about 10 minutes from me. 

9 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Small world. I actually help maintain that website too. Real Products is located about 10 minutes from me. 

Can you get me some?   I know of a good use  for it, lol.

Matt

46 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

Matt

That stripper is the best stripper I have ever used, but  you must be very careful with it.  It is a liquid and you spray it on with a pump bottle or I have used a two gallon pump sprayer.  Cover up your whole body and wear a face shield and respirator.  Breathing that stuff is like mainlining purple power cleaner.  Tough stuff.

5 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Matt

Sure can. How much do you need?

16 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Sure can. How much do you need?

Not sure, but would be great to spray on tractor, let soak and wash off with a garden hose or pressure washer.