Cattech

A video for those people scared of heights

Thanks for that,  won't be going number 2 for a while since butt is drawn up tight.   Don't care how much, I won't be doing that.

I like how once they get to the round column section, their lanyard is hooked to the foot peg with nothing to keep it from coming off the end of the peg.

And one more, I don't know which one is worse. Definitely makes my hands numb and my feet sweat.

How is it possible to sit here at my desk,  in a great big old comfy chair,  with both feet on the floor and watch that video .................................and feel my pulse and my breathing both quicken?

My brain knows I'm in no danger,  but my body is having no part of it.................body says RUN!

There isn't enough money in the world to get me to do that.

As if the towers aren't bad enough (a job you get paid for)  what about some of the dumb stuff these kids are doing just for" kicks".

At least in the first videos they had safety gear on that at least me feel safer.... the last videos are just plain foolish

I've climbed many elevator legs, a cake walk compared to that! Must take great stamina, climbing straight up is hard and that last round part......no way! One leg that does stick in my memory though was one down in Maryland we called the "death leg" 110 feet up, a straight ladder with no cage and no rest platforms. No way to tie on safety gear either. Climbed it twice in one day to replace belts and idle side bearing. Not fun.

13 minutes ago, TomH said:

t platforms. No way to tie on safety gear either. Climbed it twice in one day to replace belts and idle side bearing. Not fun.

That would be one of those jobs that I just knew the bearing bolts required a 1/2" wrench only to find they were 9/16 when I got up there.  (-:

I love the last line in this guy's narration.

3 hours ago, Cattech said:

And one more, I don't know which one is worse. Definitely makes my hands numb and my feet sweat.

The guy's wearing a hard hat, like that's going to save him! I find myself hanging onto my chair arm rests watching these.  If I get 30' off the ground I've had enough!

4 hours ago, Cattech said:

Seems to me when I was a kid an airplane hit that tower in a thunderstorm and knocked it over. Just southeast of Sioux Falls.  And it came down in a blizzard too at one time. 

Both times on this list. 1968 and 1975.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_catastrophic_collapses_of_broadcast_masts_and_towers

We had a kid in the platoon I was in in Germany in the mid 70s that was scared to death of helicopters. During a major maneuver exercise the badly broke his leg. They had to knock him out to get him on the medivac chopper. 

While I don't like heights I can watch stuff like that all day. Here is a good one for you, I love to rappel. Cliffs, buildings and out of choppers. Go figure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkQAaCtsPTI

Rick

I have never liked heights, my father was in the masonry business and I remember having to build scaffolding for chimneys and standing up on top of the last section and setting the pole and hanger for the rope & pully, not fun at all, now I run the business and do very little chimney work !    

I got nervous just watching that guy climb that first tower and I was sitting in my recliner.

I would have to agree, you would think that the foot pegs on the spires would have 90's turned up on the ends with OSHA and all.

A couple yrs. back me & another guy from church cleaned the steple on the roof, the roof is about a 10/12 pitch and its about 35'-40' to the ridge then the steple is another 30' or so above that, standing on the roof looking up washing down the steple made me feel woosey.

The next day my whole body was sore from.

Did I mention I don't like heights?

Charlie

10 hours ago, Cattech said:

Definitely makes my hands numb and my feet sweat.

Why am I yelling at that guy , DON'T Take that hook OFF

I  climb legs siloes bins doesn't bother me at all. Sitting in my recliner watching this at about 12 min I noticed my socks are soaking wet, can't remember the last time my feet sweat. Guess I'll put on another pair for I head out

BTO I worked for had 4 Harvestore silos, an old 16×40, and another 16×60, and two 20x60's.  We were chopping haylage one afternoon,  He sent me up the empty one to open the fill door so we could fill it the next day, then told me before I started up the ladder I could close the other one we filled and he'd start evening chores.  The two silos were 6 ft apart, maybe 5 ft,  I looked LONG and hard at saving a few steps by jumping to the other silo. I figured my foot would slip on the slick glass surface and no way could I get a grip on the other silo.  So I climbed down and back up.  Now he has a catwalk between those three silos.

Wow! I was fine until he started climbing the round section with the safety simply over the pegs.

I have never had a fear of heights, but that's extreme height! It makes me feel a little wimpy as I get a twinge when I go over-center in my bucket truck at a measly 55'; this guy must be totally fearless.

Comms with the guy on the tower. Joe guess what, you left the bulb on the ground.

I was surprised at the really good condition of the base tower and the antenna sections.

Many years ago while in the USN one of my jobs was to verify that proper maintenance was taking place on the comms and radar antennas' .  I had to climb up to the antenna platform to do the maintenance verification. It is amazing how quickly mother nature can destroy aluminum on a sea going ship. Seems the ladder and safety rail were the first thing to go.  The platforms were only about 60' from water level but even at a pier a 625' ship rolls quite a bit up there. 

People call the fear of heights a phobia. But a phobia is defined as an irrational fear. I find nothing irrational about being afraid of heights!!

My nuts are now firmly wedged in my throat!!!  I think my fear has gotten worse with age, because there was a time I would climb anything!  Back in '84 I crewed on a square rigged ship for a few months and had to go up and reef the upper topsail in a rain storm.  That will pucker you up too!

22 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

That would be one of those jobs that I just knew the bearing bolts required a 1/2" wrench only to find they were 9/16 when I got up there.  (-:

Always....always bring an adjustable wrench up with you!   Voice of experience, and never spill your tool pouch..... voice of experience.......:unsure:

Back when men were men!

When I heard him say the F bomb I was waiting for him to say he had the wrong parts or something. That was pretty cool. The older and more stiff i get the more I don't like to climb. We get on some grating and silos at work that are pretty high, but nothing like that. Our stacks I think are 700'. 2000' just seems like unheard of. I'll bet that thing sways 10' on a calm day. I noticed a bunch of towers on that wiki list are 609 meters. I wonder if that was a fcc law for a while or a manufacturer made them this tall or what. 

15 hours ago, rmabd said:

Back when men were men!

Ya beat me to it. I just read the topic and thought I should find a Fred Dibnah video to post.

There are quite a few Fred Dibnah programs and films. Not only steeple jacking but steam engines and industrial heritage.

Well worth a look