Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Shipping container vs enclosed trailer

Been seeing a LOT of shipping containers for sale lately. 

Generally around $2300 or so.

I could fill a bunch of them!

Why are they discarded/sold?

Age/laws?

They appear to be VERY stout compared to a truck/trailer. 

Anyone have/use them?

We have a few.  I think that they are great!   Ground level, RODENT PROOF!!, and quite durable/secure.

Guys out here build a nice gravel pad, set up 20 30, paint them all to match and rent em for mini storage fpr $65 to 100/month.

CL here has tons.  Roll up doors,  man doors, windows,  mobile office, tiny house.  Insulated or not, 8' or 8'6" tall, 15 to 45'.  Dang things are tough.  China sends more stuff here than we send there.  Being on west coast 1000s around.  Heck i may be one of my circle of friends who doesn't have one.  Be neat to have a 20' one for my stall lime/salt/bicarb/etc.  Just set on ground pad of crushed gravel so drain good.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=container&sort=rel

i used 40 ft containers when i moved to two. i got them out of Newark  new jersey painted real reasonable$$$. i loaded them and winched them up on my traileze trailer. hauled them out here and slide them off

unloaded them when i built my building and sold them for a grand or so more than i paid. the Chinese build them so cheap that it isn't worth sending them back. they are great for storage. dry rodent proof but they get hot inside. lots of different things you can do with them. i bought 9 cans to move my stuff . sold them as i unloaded them. . i got real good at loading them on the trailer. usually about 15 mins, then chain the corners and lay straps over the top. secure them tight.  easy to move with a rollback truck

an enclosed van trailer has taxes and tags then a semi to pull. steps to get up into. not as strong as a connex box

we use them at work, with an 800 mile work site we fill them with tools and parts for the job at hand and ship it all off. Then when we get everything back we store stuff in them until we need them next time. we have connex's full of hand tools, and others full of pipe fittings, and so on.  last count was we had over 70 of them in the yard and who knows how many scattered along the line. it would not surprise me if we had 250 of them 

I want to get two and then put a set of trusses over them with a gap in the middle, instant garage and storage.  they are tuff, just make sure that you check the room first, one of the biggest reasons they unload them is if they leak

Box trailers are really pretty flimsy, where the containers are built to be picked up and stacked so they are built pretty stout.

I am seeing the sea containers here, too.  We are considering one or two.

To answer your question, I believe that they are sold here since the trade deficit is so large with Asia and it makes little sense to ship air back via container ship since freight back will be about the same as the container sells for here.

My feed store uses them, much better than trailers. No critter problems either.

When purchasing make sure its empty, no one in there from distant lands.........

Lots of them around here too. Has been for the last 10-15 years now. Prices seem to hold around the 3-4,000 for a 40'. Ritchie bros sells a pile of them through their auctions every year too.  I've considered one for storage but wjen I look st the cost and I look at the lumber we have from the sawmill I can't help but say to myself wouldn't it be cheaper and better to just build a garage. Downside of that would be it's maybe taxable I suppose. Don't think anyone's found a way to tax shipping containers but I bet there's people out there working on that too. 

If I were to get one I'd put doors in both ends and maybe even a roll up door on either side. 

I saw an add recently for a cabin built from 2 of them.  One had the ends and sides cut out and was grafted onto the other which was the cabin.  It sounds really redneck but it looked fairly nice.  The one made a full porch for the other one that way.  Don't remember the price.