BillOHIO

DRIVERLESS TRUCKS

We are quickly working towards a cliff where few will be making money and no one will be able to afford anything. I don't think anything can stop it. Just have to do it the hard way. Where I live they are struggling to come up with tax money because all the jobs that replaced the old factory jobs pay half what they did while costs continue to climb.

For myself and I think many others, there is also the treatment of employees. I don't trust any company to have my interests in mind. Bottom dollar is king and everyone has learned that now and has translated into bad blood. No fixes really. What I always tell people is you will never really make money working for someone else. There are exceptions of course, but they way companies have treated dedicated hard working employees has made me and a lot of people sick. They work them until they break and then boot them out the door. The company I work for has treated me well, but almost all the companies around have become horrendous. Of course no one wants to work for them because they pay little and work them like dogs.

It's going to get worse until it breaks. We need an economic catharsis and it won't be pleasant for anyone. I agree though, they will automate as much as they can, but one day soon few will be left to buy their goods.

42 minutes ago, rcb said:

We are quickly working towards a cliff where few will be making money and no one will be able to afford anything. I don't think anything can stop it. Just have to do it the hard way. Where I live they are struggling to come up with tax money because all the jobs that replaced the old factory jobs pay half what they did while costs continue to climb.

For myself and I think many others, there is also the treatment of employees. I don't trust any company to have my interests in mind. Bottom dollar is king and everyone has learned that now and has translated into bad blood. No fixes really. What I always tell people is you will never really make money working for someone else. There are exceptions of course, but they way companies have treated dedicated hard working employees has made me and a lot of people sick. They work them until they break and then boot them out the door. The company I work for has treated me well, but almost all the companies around have become horrendous. Of course no one wants to work for them because they pay little and work them like dogs.

It's going to get worse until it breaks. We need an economic catharsis and it won't be pleasant for anyone. I agree though, they will automate as much as they can, but one day soon few will be left to buy their goods.

I have proof that working for someone else is more profitable than working for yourself 

I make less than all my employees ,especially when you consider the hours and they don't have their head on The Chopping Block if things don't go well with the business

10 minutes ago, bitty said:

I have proof that working for someone else is more profitable than working for yourself 

I make less than all my employees ,especially when you consider the hours and they don't have their head on The Chopping Block if things don't go well with the business

Not to mention overhead.....

With a driverless vehicle, who gets the ticket for a moving violation? How do police affect a traffic stop? What about road checks for carrying illegal cargo? Who is liable when one is involved in an accident? When one goes to the wrong destination?, When one breaks down and causes a traffic tieup or accident.  If the traffic flow is at 75 and a trucking company is trying to save fuel by having it's truck only go 55 and there is a fatal accident because of it?  Way too many unanswered questions.

15 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

With a driverless vehicle, who gets the ticket for a moving violation? How do police affect a traffic stop? What about road checks for carrying illegal cargo? Who is liable when one is involved in an accident? When one goes to the wrong destination?, When one breaks down and causes a traffic tieup or accident.  If the traffic flow is at 75 and a trucking company is trying to save fuel by having it's truck only go 55 and there is a fatal accident because of it?  Way too many unanswered questions.

Fuel cost won’t even be a consideration for the company. They will have a vehicle that can run 24hours a day, no HOS to worry about as well as no driver pay, insurance,vacations etc. any huge companies will adopt it just as soon as they can.

There is less chance of a computer going to Duluth, MN when the destination is supposed to be Duluth, GA. Humans make all sorts of mistakes, all the time. Mechanical things do whatever they're designed to do, the same way every time, barring a failure.

That said, with the technology already available, the number of accidents will most likely go down, not up.

In the mines using autonomous haul trucks, accident rates, fuel usage and maintenance costs have all dropped while productivity has increased. When a truck suffers a failure, it pulls off to the side and stops, every other unit in the mine knows where it is sitting and alters operation as needed to avoid the hazard and continues working.

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I would recommend anyone who thinks driverless trucks are just around the corner to go to some place like a grocery warehouse.  Note the trucks lined up, waiting to be unloaded.  Unless receivers agree to meet the truck at the gate with their own driver, someone is going to have to deal with the paperwork, park outside to wait their turn, etc.  I'm not saying those can't be fixed; I'm just saying no one has been able to fix them in the 40 years I drove.

The driverless trucks will start with fleets that only move their own freight such as UPS or Fedex hub to hub and eventually work out from there. 

How about making something automatic that is more needed like self pounding fence posts and chainsaws that cut trees down by themselves (hedge and black locust trees in particular!)

3 hours ago, new guy said:

How about making something automatic that is more needed like self pounding fence posts and chainsaws that cut trees down by themselves (hedge and black locust trees in particular!)

No self pounding fence posts please had for business

On 11/14/2017 at 2:20 PM, TroyDairy said:

Hey, get your kids cdl licences and problem will go away.  Every trucking co locally cannot find enough guys.  From high end pay to steering wheel holders.  A huuuuge chunk of society wont WORK.  Only tap on a screen.  

Why i am penciling robot milking units now.  17 to 20/hr and hard or impossible to find guys.  Gov't forced paid leaves and benefits are making machines more attractive.  All the robotic tech is 100% b/c we have raised a lazy generation.  Whom all think they are extra special and deeeesserve X pay for 30hrs a week since they are special.  

Mcdonalds locally had order screens not people now,  app ordering and s special parking place to swing in a have given to you.  Interesting change in our society

Shortly 2 planets will collided with a big bang . One planet is full of a young self entitled generation always wanting more, however, Their not willing to do do much to get more.

The other planet is full of technology made robots & machines willing to work nonstop, no O/T, no vaction, no PTL, no employee taxes. These robots are eager and willing work for pennies after purchase . Question is which planet will survive the big bang.  Is it to late to stop these 2 from impacting each other?

On 11/14/2017 at 6:37 PM, bitty said:

On the other hand, you won't be let go to pay for your boss' daughters horse (true story) or let go after 20 years of dedicate service because your body doesn't work as well as it did, leaving you to work at walmart or the fine fast food establishments. For the past several years many of my family in factories have been mandated seven days a week. They have one day off a month. Keeping in mind their kids can't stop by and say hi and they can't run out to pick up their kids from school. Failure to abide means dismissal along with their vacation time and seniority. Their heads are always on the chopping block if things don't work out. No equipment to sell, they can't even limp by. Their families suffer since they are never together. Doesn't seem very profitable to me.

I know the other types too, always ready to walk out the door but employers in this area are quick to boot someone out the door, even when they've had decades of dedicated service. Everyone has different risk levels they are comfortable with of course but it's a fool's game betting on a company that almost by definition isn't concerned with the employees best interest. Nothing wrong with that, but a lot of people forget that most companies aren't concerned with the long term prosperity of their employees.