Sign in to follow this  
Tim25

Information on this engine wanted..

This UD-16 is for sale just down the road from me. It needs a mag rebuild/ replacement. According to the owner it runs great, and was used for standby power at a bakery.  S/N UDC 5140B.  Is this the same basic engine used in a TD-18 series tractor? Any info on them would be great... I have seen some videos of them, and might have seen one at a show or two. IF it does get a mag rebuild and does run nicely, whats it worth?. Thanks, Tim

DSCF3429.JPG

DSCF3430.JPG

DSCF3431.JPG

DSCF3432.JPG

The basic engine ill be the same as the tractor engine, some minor accessories might differ.As forvalue, just price ouy what a standby generator fetches these days and go from there. That thing would probably run a small town!

I can't remember exactly, the UD-16 engine is either 525 or 554 cubic inches. The TD-18 is 691

A UD-16 would be 1.5 times the displacement of a UD-9 engine. Something like 501. The 525 ci engine was a UD-525, and I think there was a bigger one also. 

I knew it was based on the 9 series and I couldn't remember which one. The three 9 series displacements are 335, 350, and 370. That makes the six cylinder engines 501, 525, and 554.

the TD-18 is a six cylinder version of a TD-14

That's my first view of a Ud-16 connected to a gen set.     If you decide to pass on it, I would be interested......it would be a good spare for my Korhing Shovel.

The UD-16 or UD-525 is not the same engine that the TD-18 use. This engine was used as power units for various makes of machinery. It will not just bolt into a TD-18 without modifications.

On 11/11/2017 at 12:30 PM, Tim25 said:

This UD-16 is for sale just down the road from me. It needs a mag rebuild/ replacement. According to the owner it runs great, and was used for standby power at a bakery.  S/N UDC 5140B.  Is this the same basic engine used in a TD-18 series tractor? Any info on them would be great... I have seen some videos of them, and might have seen one at a show or two. IF it does get a mag rebuild and does run nicely, whats it worth?. Thanks, Tim

DSCF3429.JPG

DSCF3430.JPG

DSCF3431.JPG

DSCF3432.JPG

Tim, I don't know anything about this engine, however, there are somethings about this engine that are cool such as it's old ,big and still runs so that alone would make me want to keep it from the scrape yard. I bought an old Cat 337F genset  last summer the generator doesn't work the owner felt it would cost more to fix then what the engine was worth, The listed price was reasonable. For me  to buy an old Cat engine from the late 1950's and save it from the scrape buyer was priceless. This video isn't my engine, just similar set up to mine. Good luck.

The UD16 was first built in 1948 and continued until about 1953 when the 4.5 inch piston model the UD525 was introduced. Later in the 1950's the UD554 was introduced with 4 5/8 pistons. I remember them in the larger Adams graders back in the 1950's and  early 1960's. It was the first higher speed gas start diesel IH made. It turned at 1800 RPM as opposed to the lower speed UD691 and UD 14A engines. The UD554 was replaced by the DT429 in the early 1960's. Ac few years later (1965) the 4100 tractor used the DT429. 

Thanks guys, I bought the thing for less than scrap price... just in case. I did get it running on diesel direct. With heating the intake and either. It ran OK... But had a dead hole.  Most likely an injector, maybe worse. Mag was bad. It had sat out for a long time. I ended up scrapping it. With just buying a TD-25C and a D8H, those are enough toys and I wanted it gone before snow flies here next week. Christmas is coming too. I'm not the guy who wants to parts things out either. It sat all summer not a mile from my house.. If it had been a quick fix or a real good runner I would have been happier, but it was not the case. At least I tried.