Sign in to follow this  
A_Joseph_PE

IH464 Starting Issue

I seem to have an issue starting my tractor.  

New battery. 

When I turn the key it just "clicks" a few times then it will turnover.  Most times I can't get it to start fairly easily.  

If it runs dry and just keeps turning over and I turn the key off (say after 10 seconds of turning over and no start)  if I turn the key directly after I get nothing  no "click"   I wait a few minutes (say 2min) then it will usually "click" a few times and start to turn over again  

what is with the "click" before it turns over ?? 

Verify that your wiring  is good.

If the 464 is a diesel the starter they  used had a hole in the case to connect the solenoid to the internal parts that would let water enter the case and eventually rust out the innards.  Ours was bad and was replaced with a rebuilt for $180. US

The click you hear is the solenoid connecting the starter to the battery. You don't normally hear the click because the starter normally connects instantly to the battery and spins the engine.

You have loose wires, a bad solenoid, or a bad starter. IF your battery is fully charged.

Usually that is caused by the solenoid not making connection internally to spin the starter. Loose or corroded cables can do it too.

Make sure your battery connection are not corroded. Clean em up real good then try it again.

Make sure ground is clean at block/frame too

THANKs guys.  I have some frayed wires going to the started solenoid that may be the culprit.  

I am going to try to replace each individually to see if it fixes the issue 

do they make complete harnesses for these older machines?  

Thanks again