RKO

Poor UPS service

57 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

The data from the trackers shows where and when the high shock loads occur.

We see trends and the most likely occurrences  are in large metro hubs in the upper Midwest and Northeast so read into what you will. our experiences with trade shows in these cities lead us to this conclusion we could be wrong. We have few trucking firms we won't do business for reasons like you have mentioned.   

The retaliation is real, we are in the manufacturing process automation business so we see it all the time.

People get upset with their co-workers being displaced and they sabotage the equipment, more prevalent in union shops.    

Our loaders don’t have time to see where each package is from. The majority are college students and have to scan and load several hundred packages an hour at the measly pay of $10.50/ hour.

The service of all couriers is just going to get worse. The volume of packages is going thought the roof with more and more online sellers. There is no such thing as a simple delivery any more everybody I know has horror stories. W

20 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The data from the trackers shows where and when the high shock loads occur.

We see trends and the most likely occurrences  are in large metro hubs in the upper Midwest and Northeast so read into what you will. our experiences with trade shows in these cities lead us to this conclusion we could be wrong. We have few trucking firms we won't do business for reasons like you have mentioned.   

The retaliation is real, we are in the manufacturing process automation business so we see it all the time.

People get upset with their co-workers being displaced and they sabotage the equipment, more prevalent in union shops.    

Upper midwest, Chicago area has major automated distribution hubs for UPS, JASS1660 would know them all.  North-east also, but remember, every UPS Red pkg goes to Memphis.  I'm still extremely sckeptical that the damage is intentional.  Every repeat damage situation I have had with UPS was poor packaging.  I Really hate to spend one red cent more for packaging than necessary, but sometimes that extra piece of styrofoam, or bubble wrap makes all the difference.  I had a hot water heater, copper tank around 4-5 quarts with two flared pipe fittings, one 3-4 inches long on top, other 5-6 inches long out side and the ceramic heating element inside. Shipper put them in Big box layered in egg crates, 6 or 8 to a layer, side fitting almost punctured other tanks, repeated rejections.  Finally fixed it with individual boxes inside big box instead of egg crates. That part shipped UPS 50% of the time, LTL truck 50%,  Both had damaged parts.

I still think a call to the UPS saleman, set up a tour of your closest hub would be a good first step to fixing your problem.

When I was peddaling packages in my little brown truck, I delivered a case of 20 or 24 four foot flourescent light tubes to a high school. The box "Jingled", the janitor signed for the box, I suggested he reject it but he said the shipper had an agreement with UPS on the reimbursement for broken tubes and freight cost on replacement shipments until 24 good workable lights had been delivered.  There was only 6 or 8 good tubes in that first box, I doubt UPS would eat that expense for long.  

I suspect UPS's margins are still thin,  1978, the year I worked for UPS was a contract year.  UPS wined and dined us Big time, terminal manager always gave us a talk.  He said that if "Every UPS employee company wide stayed on the clock 15 minutes longer per day UPS would operate in the RED."  Gas was 65 to 70 cents/gallon,  top pay for package car drivers was around $8.35/hr, My Dad was making about $9.00/hr delivering fuel via 18-wheelers to FS terminals all over eastern Iowa and NW Illinois.  But the Teamster Master Freight Contract required Teamsters to make $9.29/hour.

Last year they had 5 billion dollars in profit off of 61 billion dollars in revenue. Top pay for drivers is $35.80/hr. The company is bending over backwards for Amazon while forgetting about other customers all the while Amazon is hiring management people away to set up their own delivery system.

8 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Upper midwest, Chicago area has major automated distribution hubs for UPS, JASS1660 would know them all.  North-east also, but remember, every UPS Red pkg goes to Memphis.  I'm still extremely sckeptical that the damage is intentional.  Every repeat damage situation I have had with UPS was poor packaging.  I Really hate to spend one red cent more for packaging than necessary, but sometimes that extra piece of styrofoam, or bubble wrap makes all the difference.  I had a hot water heater, copper tank around 4-5 quarts with two flared pipe fittings, one 3-4 inches long on top, other 5-6 inches long out side and the ceramic heating element inside. Shipper put them in Big box layered in egg crates, 6 or 8 to a layer, side fitting almost punctured other tanks, repeated rejections.  Finally fixed it with individual boxes inside big box instead of egg crates. That part shipped UPS 50% of the time, LTL truck 50%,  Both had damaged parts.

I still think a call to the UPS saleman, set up a tour of your closest hub would be a good first step to fixing your problem.

When I was peddaling packages in my little brown truck, I delivered a case of 20 or 24 four foot flourescent light tubes to a high school. The box "Jingled", the janitor signed for the box, I suggested he reject it but he said the shipper had an agreement with UPS on the reimbursement for broken tubes and freight cost on replacement shipments until 24 good workable lights had been delivered.  There was only 6 or 8 good tubes in that first box, I doubt UPS would eat that expense for long.  

I suspect UPS's margins are still thin,  1978, the year I worked for UPS was a contract year.  UPS wined and dined us Big time, terminal manager always gave us a talk.  He said that if "Every UPS employee company wide stayed on the clock 15 minutes longer per day UPS would operate in the RED."  Gas was 65 to 70 cents/gallon,  top pay for package car drivers was around $8.35/hr, My Dad was making about $9.00/hr delivering fuel via 18-wheelers to FS terminals all over eastern Iowa and NW Illinois.  But the Teamster Master Freight Contract required Teamsters to make $9.29/hour.

I ENJOY READING ALL OF YOUR POSTS DENNIS.

Must be the area , cause we have had good service in the 44024 zone , what zone are you ? What zone did the product come from ,maybe we can target a zone and boycott it , that will change, asap. 

13 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Last year they had 5 billion dollars in profit off of 61 billion dollars in revenue. Top pay for drivers is $35.80/hr. The company is bending over backwards for Amazon while forgetting about other customers all the while Amazon is hiring management people away to set up their own delivery system.

I have had other people tell me the same thing. I can get packages from amazon in a day but it takes weeks to get other packages. I would say 5 billion profit on 61 billion is a pretty good profit margin 

Speaking of Amazon ,they like have there our private drivers delivery here , not ups ,so far so good but every driver is different ,I make it a point to get there name and I'm going to get there license number . 

5 hours ago, RKO said:

I have had other people tell me the same thing. I can get packages from amazon in a day but it takes weeks to get other packages. I would say 5 billion profit on 61 billion is a pretty good profit margin 

They are 110 years old. 

21 hours ago, farmall666 said:

I ENJOY READING ALL OF YOUR POSTS DENNIS.

X2

I would love to see Lee Klancher interview him and others for a former Farmall employee book

On 11/13/2017 at 1:18 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Our shipments were all UPS Red 

Maybe the term intentional is a little harsh what I was getting at it seems heavy items get handled rougher and may require and special handling when shipped through some systems.

Our packages that were getting damaged are roughly 18"x 18"  and 85 lbs so they are hefty for the size and they are dedicated Pelican cases lined with high density shock foam.

We have drop tested tested them so we know what the shock loads should be for normal handling. 

We had spoken with the sales persons since they are eager to get our business we have a large volume of over night shipments every day.

In the end we let the data from the tracking and shock recording devices make the decision for us on who we should ship with. 

Got a head set for grandpas regular from Rice's yesterday. Us postal. No damage. One success story anyway. :rolleyes:

It COULD be union misbehavior.  I've dealt with those turkeys, and it's not pleasant.  However, the overall problem with UPS is lack of consequences for failure at any level.  Didn't get your package?  The driver just says he couldn't find the address.  Package gets thrown in a snowbank or under a dripping downspout?  Driver says he didn't put it there.  And the lack of responsibility goes all the way to the top. 

Management has done so many time studies they have it down to how many seconds a driver has to stop scan packages and drop them and be rolling to the next stop. They have some of these guys doing 400 drops and pickups in a ten hour day it is ridiculous. I pull trailers so I don’t touch packages but they have everything figured for me and i have to document everything on my computer to cover my ass all night. 

Yes, Harvard Business School grads will be the death of us all.  I watched them ruin Werner Enterprises, with their (at that time) clipboards, stop watches, and sharp pencils.  They would stand behind the dispatchers, and when one got off the phone with a driver, they would tap him on the shoulder and say, "You were on the phone with that driver for 28 seconds.  We need you to cut that down to a max of 23 seconds, so we can put 5 more trucks on your board.  If you don't, you'll soon be gone."

The fall of 1978 before UPS set up their Christmas routes I ran 17 (seventeen) different routes in 17 consecutive days.  All routes I had run before.  They did do right by me at Christmas, gave me a route with several miles of housing developments and businesses along a busy road north of my home town that I had hauled readmix for lots of the houses the two summers about 2 years before.  Also had the in-town north of the RR tracks of my home town, plus one block downtown each side of main street.  Some places, businesses, never get packages, some are daily pickup&delivery stops,  then some people you deliver to their houses 3-4 days a week! One guy in Rock Island ran a business out of his house, was a delivery stop 2-3 times a week and a pickup stop every day, picking up the box I delivered in the morning.

There were a couple routes I didn't run at that terminal, like the route my folks were on.  But since I was the only new hire that knew where Hooppole, Illinois was, I always got that route.  That same route had Atkinson, Annawan, and some Geneseo rural routes, one small truck, 250+ miles a day and about 60 stops and 125 packages, and about a third of the area served by that terminal.  The downtown Moline route that also delivered & picked up Farmall used a truck twice as big, was filled completely full and first stop, the JC Penney store my wife worked at was stacked on the cab floor.  One day I delivered over 600 packages and picked up over 1200 on that route, Desaulners printers shipped three skids of Deere price book revisions.  Also places like Deere's big parts warehouse filled a couple semi-trailers a day.  We had two drivers on days spotting trailers all day.  That terminal back then was one of the smallest terminals in Illinois that made money, mostly because of Deere and IH.

Been a lot of companies that used to try to deliver packages, Railroad Express Agency, USPS was loosing it's butt on packages years ago until the volume picked up due to on-line ordering, still loosing money on letters. DHL just about went belly-up 3-4 years ago and reorganized, but before that their trucks looked like escapees from the junkyard.  And Roadway Package Service started in 1985 and merged to become FedEx Ground in 2000.  But UPS is STILL UPS. They may not be perfect, but 99.9% of the time they do O-K.

I'm really surprised Amazon thinks they can deliver packages better than UPS, I can't wait till I get my first delivery from a drone!