RKO

Poor UPS service

What is up with UPS. They have lost or miss shipped eight packages in the last few months. Spent two days tracking some parts that we needed today.  15 days from Illinois to Nebraska. The parts are in Pa. Gal told me i could pick them up there' at their depot.  I blew up over that' statement. Told her i should have just drove to Illinois and got them One before that' was 4 new tires for my trencher. Only took 2 months and 50 calls to find them. I think it helped when they saw what they cost.  Another shippment the tracking number just vanished from their system. It was an overnight shippment from kansas city to omaha.  Last spot it showed was ohio. Today i spent half the day tracking down another package. Im just done with them. 

Just wait until they call and say your package was destroyed, it was their fault but they won't cover any of it, not even the cost to ship it because you didn't buy insurance.

I would be po'ed. If I had to guess it's just like every other business in the us right now. "Lean managment" fewer people with more product. My ups guy drops my stuff off at my work sometimes. Sometimes at my moms work or at my wife's. To tell you the truth I wish he wouldn't because sometimes it gets to be a pita!  I know he has to do this to get home at a decent time. Around the holidays those guys work a lot. 

Pi!$ poor service like everyone else. 

I had UPS steal $4000 worth of packages at Xmas.  Their holiday help was helping themselves along with regular route driver.  They never paid for anything missing.  Another shipment of Fork Extensions that we shipped with them, never arrived in Canada.  I traced the shipment all the way to the dock in Canada and UPS was using them on their dock.  After 6 weeks the customer finally got his Fork Extensions.  No apology or anything.......

Just now, Pete1468 said:

Just wait until they call and say your package was destroyed, it was their fault but they won't cover any of it, not even the cost to ship it because you didn't buy insurance.

even if you do have full insurance  ...you can take 10% or spend $$$$ to fight  they could buy it for less and was not packed safely .

usps no different they wanted me to arrive in KC (300m)and prove to non existent ??? that packaging was not improper after they knew it was 91 days

they both self insure....   budget and employees paid to deny and harass claims . the BTO get % of not spent and increase next year

Was talking about ups service last night with my cousin, he owns a local bee supply store and has had terrible service with ups and shipped glass wear items. Says as of right now 70% arrives broken. Were using fed ex and ups salesman gave them better shipping rates so they switched. They are thinking of going back to fed ex were they had very few broken and lost items. 

I have the trouble with FedEx and good luck with ups personally.  They all have their troubles I'm sure. 

We have great UPS service here.  Fed ex is the problem here.  They have the stupidest drivers known to man.  We have been fighting with them for years.  Just 2 weeks ago they brought a package and leaned it against the garage door.  Smoker 2 opened the door, backed the car out and ran over it.  
We are still fighting over that.  They said there was no where else to put the package and it was our fault.  We have a big box at the back for such deliveries but fed ex refuses to take thing s to the back of the house where the snow is always plowed.  Several times they have left things by the road under a tree and we haven't found them for several days.  They are total idiots and won't own up when the make a mistake.  On the other hand UPS treats us with respect and always put things in the big box or if it has to be put somewhere else they leave a tag on the door (where the snow is shoveled)as to where they put it.  I have not bought things from companies that only ship fed ex!  They pi$$ me off!

Vent over - jerry

I have had 1 lost and 3 or 4 packages come later than the tracking says. And if there is a dusting of snow, they wont come in driveway.

Ups said they brought package after snow melted found half way up drive on side of road.

I heard a story from a customer of mine that wouldn't let me use ups.  He had a young large muscular guy working for him part time that also worked at ups nights.  His nickname was 53, guy finally let it slip that he got the nickname at ups because he was the only guy there that could throw a certain weight of package to the front of a 53 ft trailer.  He said he chewed on that kid for a while but it didn't phase him he was proud of his nickname.

I suppose it depends on the loaders, drivers, and management at each location. Poor employees= poor service. Ups pretty good here usually.

No problems with either carrier here. Shippers sometimes under pack things. If it's heavy and there's any way it can move around in the box, it'll get loose and possibly broken. A good shipment will survive all that "53" can give it, even glassware.

When I lived 30 miles south FedEx stunk, leave labeled computer boxes by the pavement, 5 miles away bad...ups would deliver....

Funny story FedEx guy had never driven on snow before and had gotten stuck 3 Times leaving the camp I worked at, I was pushing snow and was towing him up the hill when ups came down....wish he had a camera....

I now live North and ups won't deliver or calls to see if I can meet him in town, and FedEx delivers.....

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

No problems with either carrier here. Shippers sometimes under pack things. If it's heavy and there's any way it can move around in the box, it'll get loose and possibly broken. A good shipment will survive all that "53" can give it, even glassware.

How do you wreck a 38x18x20 16 ply logger tire.  They lost all 4 for two months and when they did show up one was wrecked. Had to get another one. Still waiting on that' claim

Girl friend wants to do damage to the UPS guys because of several things.  We are redoing our house and i built new kitchen cabinets. I sent the upper doors to a friend to have family pictures burned in to the doors. Two doors were in each box wrapped in plàstic and the HEAVY box was filled with  expansión foam. I Shipped them to him the same way fed ex and no problem.  I ve got 4 of the 9 boxes back by ups and 3 of the boxes look like a D8 cat ran over them. The other ones have not come. So i dont know how many doors i have to remake. It took him a long time to burns pictures let alone the time to build them. Since i built them ups says to bad 

Around here UPS is the good one and the other 2 services suck. I have said Fed EX couldn't find T$$$ in a strip club

A few years ago dad  ordered from a company that shipped Fed Ex. My brother and his now wife had already had a abundance of trouble with anything that was shipped Fed Ex. Apparently we live in the Burmuda Triangle. According to them none of the houses that my parents, my brother's family, the farm where my Grandparents used to live and a number of our neighbors exist. 

Well Dad placed the order and got a email that said it was being shipped Fed Ex. We all knew that this was not going to go well and they didn't disappoint us in the least bit. (Sarcasm :angry:) It got to Michigan just fine. That's when the trouble started. It kept bouncing from distribution hub to hub. After a week it finally ended up at the hub in Jackson, that is the right hub. It then would get on a delivery truck, go for its daily ride and end up back at the warehouse with Dad being notified that his address didn't exist. He would call and tell them that it did exist. He even told them directions how to get there. This went on for another 4 days. This got to be extremely irratating because 2 1/2 miles south of Dads house is a large brake parts manufacturer. They are there with deliveries and pickups every day. We watch the delivery truck drive by the house on a daily basis, but yet they can't figure out the house exist. Finally, on day 5 of the daily ride for our package  the driver managed to call Dad to ask for directions and Dad talked him there.

When the delivery was complete the driver said that he was down to Brembo (car parts factory I mentioned earlier) almost every day, and he drove by here all the time. Dad asked "didn't it ever occur to you to look at the address sign next to the road to check out the address". " No, the GPS and computer told me nothing is here so I never looked" He then asked if this was a new house. "Yeah, in 1976" Dad replied. (this was 2014) 

There has been a house and barns here for well in excess of 100 years and they can't figure out there's a house here. There was a house here until the mid 60s when it burned down. Then a few years later there was a trailer until the house was built in 76. Not exactly new construction.

Having delivered packages for UPS for a year, 1978, I have lots of stories. Worst one for the consignee was we got a package for Hillsdale, Ill, with a wrong zip code at the Milan, Ill hub. I ran the furthest out route for six weeks,  the normal driver had 22 years seniority and had taken a week of vacation already when I started middle of Febuary,  imagine that, 7 weeks vacation! I wrote the package up, "Mis-load, wrong hub, route to Sterling/Rock Falls,  I get back on that route 5-6 weeks later and STILL have that box!  About Tuesday I deliver the danged thing!

I've had poor service from both UPS and Fed-X,  Took me a WEEK to get the reciever hitch I ordered for my pickup shipped via Fed-X. It finally was dumped on the front porch with a bit of the box ripped to shredds with a MapQuest printout taped to it after the driver refused to look for our address, I watch him drive by 2-3 times a week.  I live about 8 miles from the Fed-X terminal.  

I did have a package for work delivered to the wrong company couple years ago by Fed-X,  they actually sent the driver back to get it and deliver it to my plant.  UPS would not do that until the next day, which would have been a day late.

Had a company, Blank Bolt Company in Alsip, Ill, south-western Chicago suburb ship two 50-60 pound boxes of bolts UPS Red Next day delivery,  which UPS ground from Chicago to Moline, Illinois is ALWAYS next day.  No bolts next day, or the next when the truck shipment showed up.  Guy in accounting was harassing me about where the bolts were, he wanted to pay the invoice. Two MONTHS later, I get paged to the UPS dock,  truck and Helen, the driver, and Rich, our shipping/recieving guy standing there, and on the step of the package car are my 2 boxes of bolts, the cardboard was filthy, severely worn, and I could barely read the writing on it about, "Mis-load,  wrong hub, date and initials.  I got air shipped from Chicago to Memphis to Los Angeles, and evidently sat there 6-8 weeks till somebody put them back in circulation.  A UPS training guy told us at driver training school that "All packages at UPS are Lost until signed for" which really isn't true now with Package ID numbers and on-line tracking.  But back in 1978 was Absolutely correct.

I try to buy stuff where I can pick it up off a shelf, look at it, carry it to a cash register, pay for it and take it home myself.  Let the head-aches involved with getting it on that shelf be someone else's problem.

Wow! I can't believe all the horror stories! I get everything when the tracking system says I should - from both carriers. The only problems I ever have is stuff breaking out of poorly packed boxes.

I got a JD 2 cylinder clutch/belt pulley which was all broken up. The sender put it in a single cardboard box with a bit of newspaper around it! I would have built a wooden box and filled it with foam. Got a trailer hitch drop from a big outfit in the box with NO packing! It was too strong to be broken but how it was still in the box, I don't know. The box was more hole than cardboard.

We get airplane parts reliably from both all the time. Since they're such high value anything heavy has a custom shipping case.  I've seen one of the brake boxes damaged but the brake, all $100,000 worth of exotic carbon disc,  survived. Must have dropped from a belt loader.

When a 38" tire gets lost the drug testing program for the guys in the sorting area must be fixed.

3 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Wow! I can't believe all the horror stories! I get everything when the tracking system says I should - from both carriers. The only problems I ever have is stuff breaking out of poorly packed boxes.

I got a JD 2 cylinder clutch/belt pulley which was all broken up. The sender put it in a single cardboard box with a bit of newspaper around it! I would have built a wooden box and filled it with foam. Got a trailer hitch drop from a big outfit in the box with NO packing! It was too strong to be broken but how it was still in the box, I don't know. The box was more hole than cardboard.

We get airplane parts reliably from both all the time. Since they're such high value anything heavy has a custom shipping case.  I've seen one of the brake boxes damaged but the brake, all $100,000 worth of exotic carbon disc,  survived. Must have dropped from a belt loader.

When a 38" tire gets lost the drug testing program for the guys in the sorting area must be fixed.

No drug testing for all the part timers only drivers. 

20 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

No drug testing for all the part timers only drivers. 

Well, THERE'S the problem!

For me I'm a UPS guy know him by name. We talk tractors when he has a minute. Will put things in the garage during inclement weather. Super guy. 

Can't stand the fed ex guy. Pulls in the driveway and starts looking if I'm outside to dump the package on me. If I'm not home he will put the package under the eve of the house. In bad weather we have a soggy box to contend with. One time he was here, I asked how many stops left. Answer was 5 but only gonna do 4. The ones out of the way. I'll get it tomorrow. If I remember correctly that was on a Saturday so that meant Monday delivery. 

If we have a choice it's UPS, even if it's more expensive. It's worth it to us. 

Personal shipments I have not had an issue either UPS or Fed Ex.

Drivers do their jobs properly the UPS guy gives the dogs some biscuits when he delivers we give him a gift card at X-mas.

My experience at work is different story  I never ship UPS they always damage the contents some how.

We use dedicated packaging inside Pelican cases which the they have frequently cracked or broken so it seems the better they think its packaged the rougher they handle it.

I think its likely the lazy union labor at UPS when the weights get heavier they must have to handle then instead of going on the belt so they retaliate.

We put GPS trackers with shock recorders on some high value shipments and they always recorded much higher shock loads via UPS.

34 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Personal shipments I have not had an issue either UPS or Fed Ex.

Drivers do their jobs properly the UPS guy gives the dogs some biscuits when he delivers we give him a gift card at X-mas.

My experience at work is different story  I never ship UPS they always damage the contents some how.

We use dedicated packaging inside Pelican cases which the they have frequently cracked or broken so it seems the better they think its packaged the rougher they handle it.

I think its likely the lazy union labor at UPS when the weights get heavier they must have to handle then instead of going on the belt so they retaliate.

We put GPS trackers with shock recorders on some high value shipments and they always recorded much higher shock loads via UPS.

I really doubt it's union labor intentionally damaging your shipments.  There was an episode of Modern Marvels I saw a couple years ago about package delivery that showed how a package moved thru a UPS hub.  Might be something to contact your UPS salesman and request a tour of the closest big hub.  A small terminal like I drove out of would be boring.

At my last job I had a stamping supplier in the Philadelphia area that shipped parts in collapsable fiberglas pallet boxes, which are just about indestructable.  But our Supplier Partner LTL trucking company managed to destroy several of them over about 2-3 years.  I called the local terminal manager and had a "Come to Reality" conversation that I couldn't take ALL of his freight from my company away, but this nice long half way across the country haul would disappear next time they damaged a single pallet box.  It turned out it was the mad-men non-union fork truck drivers transfering freight late at night from one trailer to another that damaged my stuff. My local terminal manager tossed his infuence around and demanded my freight NOT be transfered, that it had to be delivered to me on the same trailer it was picked up with.  Never had a problem after that in 3 years.  I had planned on using a contract truckload carrier with a regular Philly to Milwakee run to deliver my stuff if the LTL carrier screwed up again.  The company I drove for was truckload carrier but they would never refuse anything from a single pallet to a single box.

8 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I really doubt it's union labor intentionally damaging your shipments.  There was an episode of Modern Marvels I saw a couple years ago about package delivery that showed how a package moved thru a UPS hub.  Might be something to contact your UPS salesman and request a tour of the closest big hub.  A small terminal like I drove out of would be boring.

At my last job I had a stamping supplier in the Philadelphia area that shipped parts in collapsable fiberglas pallet boxes, which are just about indestructable.  But our Supplier Partner LTL trucking company managed to destroy several of them over about 2-3 years.  I called the local terminal manager and had a "Come to Reality" conversation that I couldn't take ALL of his freight from my company away, but this nice long half way across the country haul would disappear next time they damaged a single pallet box.  It turned out it was the mad-men non-union fork truck drivers transfering freight late at night from one trailer to another that damaged my stuff. My local terminal manager tossed his infuence around and demanded my freight NOT be transfered, that it had to be delivered to me on the same trailer it was picked up with.  Never had a problem after that in 3 years.  I had planned on using a contract truckload carrier with a regular Philly to Milwakee run to deliver my stuff if the LTL carrier screwed up again.  The company I drove for was truckload carrier but they would never refuse anything from a single pallet to a single box.

The data from the trackers shows where and when the high shock loads occur.

We see trends and the most likely occurrences  are in large metro hubs in the upper Midwest and Northeast so read into what you will. our experiences with trade shows in these cities lead us to this conclusion we could be wrong. We have few trucking firms we won't do business for reasons like you have mentioned.   

The retaliation is real, we are in the manufacturing process automation business so we see it all the time.

People get upset with their co-workers being displaced and they sabotage the equipment, more prevalent in union shops.