So I just got back from a visit to my mother, she lives in a place called a town/city called "The Villages" it is in central Florida.  As my wife and I were driving out of the area we started talking about retirement and where we would like to live in retirement?  I like visiting my mother, although doing so always makes me miss my father more than a regular day.

What I am curious about is where and what do others want or think that they want out of retirement?  Planned retirement communities are becoming more of thing now and I would be interested in other peoples opinion.  For myself where I am currently living is where I am from, I have lived in 5 states and maybe 12 or 13 different places in those states, that is a little harder to count as I did a lot of moving around in my late teens and 20's.

Living is much easier in the wintertime in a location that is warm and has no snow. Just stating the obvious. Lots of retirees live all summer up here and live in sunny warm climates in the winter. My cousin leaves every year in late October and doesn't return until mid April. That is great as long as your health is good and the health insurance is paid up in advance. The four favorites up here are Florida, Arizona, Texas, and Australia. Mind you this means that your cash flow has to be great enough to sustain this lifestyle.  

To me retirement is to continue to live the rest of my life, doing what I like to do, with medical support available when required.

This area of TEXAS is not perfect but I am here and the "devil you know is easier to deal with than the devil you don't know"!

This year has been fine. We have had 34" of rain and the hottest day was about 103F.

Been planning for retirement since 2008. Just retired last April 4 of 17.

In  my case I set priorities. I-2-3  etc. & my wife set hers'.

#1 Knew I wanted live in the Country,  After living ten years in town after a divorce,  and having lived three years in a HOA . Unless you have no toys , do nothing but bow to the board members of the HOA , want to blend in and not be noticed , and not have much say in your everyday property decisions , STAY AWAY FROM  HOA's

#2  wanted still to be tied to my lifelong Industry of Ag in some way. Which I Still farm 20 AC of Almonds here on Home Place ,With help and hire services , Don't want to work too hard.

#3  Wanted to maintain certain passions in hobbies.

#4 Wanted freedom to leave and be gone.  Like to change scenery , weather it be a Motor home or house or cabin in a favorite place .  Now in THIS case of having a home else- where , A HOA is perfect because they have security, & let you know of problems , and being its a get away you don't want anything there anyway. 

#5 Consider future! If your main place is conducive to" live in's " for medical help or at what point do you want to go to "The Home"  If your willing to go to "The Home"  then making your home  " OLD Person Convenient, not as important.  In my case wife and I are working on our current home trying to make it safer, more accessible , and trying to make what was the guest bed room more conducive to live in help if ever needed.   Carol & I Have a Motto of ;  "The only way we are moving out of our main home , is when the Hurst comes to pick us up ."

#6 Stay active with what you like or is a passion, Don't set yourself up to get old before your time.  Look for Social out lets.

Lot to consider .

Tony

13 minutes ago, oleman said:

To me retirement is to continue to live the rest of my life, doing what I like to do, with medical support available when required.

This area of TEXAS is not perfect but I am here and the "devil you know is easier to deal with than the devil you don't know"!

This year has been fine. We have had 34" of rain and the hottest day was about 103F.

It boils down to your sentiments totally !

These retire communities sound and look beautiful, but IMHO, they are stifling ,unless all you like is doing what everyone else there does, Play Golf, cards & tennis.

At 72 I still like Grease, dirt , noise , and not have to be politically correct 24/7.

Not my cup of tea. 

Tony

22 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

These retire communities sound and look beautiful, but IMHO, they are stifling ,unless all you like is doing what everyone else there does, Play Golf, cards & tennis.

At 72 I still like Grease, dirt , noise , and not have to be politically correct 24/7.

Not my cup of tea. 

Tony

Tony i feel the same way you do. 

I want to go until about 70. I'm in my peak earning years and still need to save.

I'd rather watch paint dry and grass grow than to play golf or do any of the other activities that retirement communities offer. That said, eventually I won't be able to keep the place up so I will need a place that's easier to maintain but I don't want to give up the privacy. It's not going to be easy to find.

1 hour ago, tony in ca. said:

Not my cup of tea. 

Tony

Agreed.

we just bought our retirement home/farm and this will be it [30 acres]

Mike

I just hope it is still an option when I get there...

I DO NOT want to go to an old folks home. Wish it was legal just to put me to sleep at that' point. Funny its against the law to end the suffering for humans. But you would be in trouble if you let an animal suffer

My idea of retirement is to lease the farm out except for something between 50-100 acres.  Then I would farm that with my antique equipment.  Maybe play around a little with specialty crops or organic crops.  Grow a bunch of potatoes like we used to back in the day.  Maybe donate some of it.  Regardless I wouldn't have anything to loose since its small acreage.  I would also work on, tinker with, or restore tractors or other things.  Whatever it is I would stay busy with things I like to do for as long as possible.  Too many times I have seen people "retire" and they are dead in 5 years.   On the other hand I know people who are in their 80s and even 90s that go out everyday to the shop, farm, or whatever and do something to stay active.  Just seems like if you don't stay active then you waste away.  Going down south is not for me.  I prefer the cold over hot dry heat.  Winter gives you time to work on things in the shop just like I want to do.  I have friends that make the trek down to AZ every winter and from what they tell me, I can say for sure I won't do it.  On the other hand I know some guys around here have done it for a year or two and then never again. 

Since I'm quite a few years from retirement and cant until my 4 kids are grown and moving on. My plan for now is put away as much money as I can. If I move it will be somewhere where the weather still gets cold and I can still live in the country. I don't think I could live in Florida or somewhere warm. And like both my grandparents and others have said I will definitely stay active. Dad retired early after nearly 50 years of farm work he was going to work longer but after his brother past away 1 yr after retiring he figured why wait.

some interesting comments, this is a topic that there is not correct answer to everyone has there own hopes and dreams.

I've seen much of the sh***y parts of the globe, but there are a few places I'd like to see. The Alps, Iceland, and Siberia. Flew over the first two, but never boots on the ground.

I'd like to think I'll just keep going until I can't anymore. I'm one of those guys who can't sit still, and talks about a vacation, but 3 days of vacation is about all I can stand before the 'this is enough doing nothing' kicks in and I'm ready to get back to work. Even if work only means piddling around picking up sticks or taking a nap in the wood shop.

Going to a nursing home scares the he!! out of me. If they didn't tie me in my room, I'd break out.  I've told the boys to take me to Montana (they know where), let's say our goodbyes, and just let me walk off into the forest. No, it won't happen, but I would be ok with it. 

Doug,

If you drove I-75 there and back, you passed within an hour from my house here east of Tallahassee.  Most people that drive through North Florida forget or cant believe how much woods, country and or farms are around.  They mostly think of Florida as beaches or Resorts.  I was born and raised here in Florida living mostly in central florida, only leaving for the military.  I'm still active duty and travel to work out of the area.  We bought my wife's family farm about 12 years ago planning for our retirement and just recently built our dream/retirement home.  Cost of living is great here.  tons of farms. bonfires whenever we want, shoot out your front door, hog hunt all year round... etc.  I wouldn't live anywhere else!

Mike

8 hours ago, Doug in NY said:

So I just got back from a visit to my mother, she lives in a place called a town/city called "The Villages" it is in central Florida.  As my wife and I were driving out of the area we started talking about retirement and where we would like to live in retirement?  I like visiting my mother, although doing so always makes me miss my father more than a regular day.

What I am curious about is where and what do others want or think that they want out of retirement?  Planned retirement communities are becoming more of thing now and I would be interested in other peoples opinion.  For myself where I am currently living is where I am from, I have lived in 5 states and maybe 12 or 13 different places in those states, that is a little harder to count as I did a lot of moving around in my late teens and 20's.

I live just outside The Villages, what were your thoughts?

Grew up in the corn belt, had enough of the cold weather and always enjoyed my time in Florida, enjoying the ranching life, fun, weather, and entertainment down here.

In a couple years it will be time for me to hang up my pliers.  Our plan is to see the rest of the USA in our new 44 foot fifth wheel toy hauler with golf cart in the back.  Planning on doing a couple test runs before the fat lady sings!

jerry

3 minutes ago, SMiller said:

Grew up in the corn belt, had enough of the cold weather and always enjoyed my time in Florida, enjoying the ranching life, fun, weather, and entertainment down here.

I have visited the villages a couple times and I wouldn't live there if they gave me a place.  Absolutely no way I would ever live in a gated community with rules that are made for citiots.

jerry

4 minutes ago, SMOKER 1 said:

In a couple years it will be time for me to hang up my pliers.  Our plan is to see the rest of the USA in our new 44 foot fifth wheel toy hauler with golf cart in the back.  Planning on doing a couple test runs before the fat lady sings!

jerry

I have visited the villages a couple times and I wouldn't live there if they gave me a place.  Absolutely no way I would ever live in a gated community with rules that are made for citiots.

jerry

Couldn't agree more Jerry, have grandparents that live there, golf and dine 7 days a week, have a 500k home that is nothing but status.

Lots of countryside and easy living outside of that area, still fun to visit there at times though.

1 hour ago, SMiller said:

SMiller,

I have been there many times.  My parents built the house around 2003 and it is a nice house and I like to visit the area.  When my Dad was alive and when he was still healthy, I loved going down and hanging out.  I enjoy golf and that is a perfect place for it in the winter months.  I can do without being there in July.  It is an easy place to live, everything is convienent however there is no way I could live with all of the rules.  I struggle with all of the rules that they have in Ohio and that area is just full up with rules.   The amount it has grown and changed over the years is amazing to me.  the economy and area have changed greatly over the years.  The place really defies description and you have to see it to believe it.

I wiil be 64 soon. I have looked at others to get some idea what I want to do, and seen:

Retiree 1: Bought a house in Arizona and loves the climate. He is leaving tomorrow for the sunshine. But there is house upkeep, taxes, utilities, insurance you know all the costs of owning a second home. You still pay these same costs if you rent but you only write one check. It costs to live. Still has his main home too.

Retiree 2: Owns a 5th wheel camper and stays in Arizona. Had a new Ford 3/4 ton to pull it. Had lot rent to pay also. Then blow a tire or run a set of wheel bearings out and the costs go up. Finally sold the 3/4 ton and leaves the camper in AZ for the summer to bake in the sun. Now drives an F150 back and forth. Still has his main home. They love the area and climate.

Retiree 3: Stays home in the refrigerator for about 90-120 days of the year. The costs remain the same but they shiver a lot and buy gas to push a lot of snow.

Retiree 4: Rents a home in the sun. Drives South and takes their time getting there to enjoy the sites. The Holiday Inn gives both a big breakfast and cleans his room when he leaves. He drives something that gets 20+ MPG and is comfortable. He is pretty much free to come and go as he pleases and can go to any southern state he chooses. This is starting to make sense.

I see none of these options that does not cost. Some more than others. It is what YOU want to do and how you want to do it.

It depends on what is in your bucket list or, the wife's!

HAPPY RETIREMENT?

It really is a BIG change! My first year was not good ! I had been in charge of a part of a locomotive shop and had a few guys' working under me, now all of a sudden there is nobody to talk to or supervise, all the neighbors are gone to work plus my wife! Nobody around in the whole area plus my shop had burned just four months after I retired ! It was not pleasant at all. I often wondered why I retired at all. So for me it took awhile to adjust, now all's well. Some I've worked with never even drew their first retirement check, their work was their whole life! Some said oh we'll go fishing, hunting, camping and such. That might work for awhile but you have to have more to life than that ! Don't become a hermit, get involved with others especially us men folk need that.

I haven been retired sence 04, and farmed full time until 2012. Hight blood pressure and prostate retired me again in 2012. Now i live on the farm, a few sheep, a few dexter cows and a garden, i am happy.

Many interesting comments. As of nov 1 I sold my business. So this thread hits home. I turned 62 this year and decided it was time for several reasons. First, I've been working since 10 years old like many of you members that grew up on farms. I figure if I haven't made enough money by now I never will. Second, there wasn't a way to work part time and my job was taking way too much time. Third, the economy is good and the business was doing well so I figured let's go out at the top of the game. Fourth, my business has outgrown it's location and needs to go to the next level. I found a buyer that has the ability to do that. I have to work three months for him, then as needed with an agreed per hour wage. He will be leasing the building for up to a year alone with the trucks, trailer, skid loader and personal tools. So I have some income for a while. My wife has spent most of our married life ( after raising two sons) using her time in volunteer work. This has brought her great satisfaction. I plan joining her as well being able to do some traveling. I always hated vacations because I never knew what problems would be waiting when I got back. When we had our house built we planned it so we could live on one level even though we have an upstairs and basement. We can get into the house through the garage with no steps. We hope to live here as long as possible. The city is a quarter mile away in two directions with four separate parcels of farmland for sale just looking out our windows. By the time we have to move our land and home will be worth a fortune I hope. I would have liked to keep the part of the business where we are providing replacement hose / tube assemblies for red tractors, but the buyer wants it all. Perhaps I could get neighbors tractors in the shop, copy the tubes, etc, and sell my services to the new owner- who is a city guy. Frankly, I wouldn't mind picking rocks for someone next spring. Not for days on end but for a few hours a day for the exercise and being outside. Farming again isn't even an option. I'm looking forward to a less stressful- especially after this last week.

I would like to continue to be able to farm at retirement, just without getting paid like dad is doing currently. I want to be able to hunt any day that it's legal to if my desire to. I have a bunch of years to go before worrying about it..... unless I hit the lottery ( and I don't play so I guess I won't win it :(

Going to try to semi-retire by 52 to 55. 40 now, hoping life doesn't get in the way of that too much. Paying everything off as fast as possible, next step will be my place in the northwoods. Put up a shop that I can work in a few days a week up there...... sell the cities place and pocket the cash..... 

I figure minimum bills and food on the table could be covered by working 2 or 3 days a week in the shop, the rest of my time will be better spent doing whatever I want or absolutely nothing ; )