KeithFink

Electronic ignition - wow!

I know electronic ignition has been discussed in depth on this forum - most of what I know about it I've learned right here. Well I've finally taken the plunge and tried it out on my 51 H and I've got to say that I am way more than pleased with the result.

The tractor is used daily here on our 45-50- cow dairy, mostly running the feed wagon we use for transporting corn silage. The tractor has always run fine, has always been reliable with few ignition problems over the 35 years that I've owned it, but with winter coming (and me get'n to be an old man), I do not look forward to the day when I have to freeze my fingers off while messing with cleaning or adjusting points before I can use it to feed the cows. With what I've read and learned regarding electronic ignition I went ahead and purchased the Pertronix Electronic Ignition and the companion 40,000 volt coil that they also offer. Installed it a few weeks ago and the difference was very apparent! Much quicker starts-the engine just jumps to life, VERY smooth running, and this was already a tractor that started and operated very smoothly, but it just got better. The really pleasant surprise though has been this week with the morning temps being in the teens and 20s. The tractor still pops right off when started and there is no slight chugging or miss for the first few seconds as it warms up. I can take off almost immediately if I wish, and the tractor seems to have full power even when still cold. It never did that before. 

I'm pleased, and based on my experience related above, I would recommend an electronic ignition.

Keith-

P.S.- the H and feed wagon I mentioned can be seen in this video (video was recorded before the electronic ignition installation) hosted by my shop foreman.

*Homer and Bart are in the backyard*
Homer: ah, the old tractor...let's see how it runs
*Homer turns the key, and its nice and quite, and still runs*
Homer: a-ha! see! whaddya think Bart?
Bart: hmm...doesnt sound tractory enough
Homer: ill fix that
*Homer gets a screwdriver, and does something to the motor, causing a huge eruption of noise, and the tractor starts going up and down*
Homer: *over noise* NOW WE'RE TRUCKIN!

Nice setup! Glad to see that old H still earning its keep! We really like the elctronic ignition kits. Our M,super M,154 loboy and now 460 all have the pertronix kit in them and they run great! Nice work on the wagon I would like to see a video of it in use on that H with its new ignition.

For a number of years we had a Case W10B wheel loader that was powered by a 377 gas.  The best thing we did for it was replace the points and condenser with a Pertronix Ignitor I ignition.  Cold starting was much better, and the stumble that always occurred at initial acceleration disappeared.  On the other hand, we put a Pertronix Ignitor II in an 1835B skid steer, and it ran worse instead of better.  My guess is that the Ignitor II is geared toward automotive engines, not governed industrial.

Done my 656 too, with plug adapters, NGK plugs, L.P. intake (keeps the charge cool) that 656 will pull 70hp on the dyno.

Most cool winter days after the ignition upgrade you need minimum choke or none.

8 hours ago, 460 said:

Done my 656 too, with plug adapters, NGK plugs, L.P. intake (keeps the charge cool) that 656 will pull 70hp on the dyno.

Most cool winter days after the ignition upgrade you need minimum choke or none.

Ya it really woke up my 154. Before yiou had to choke it in the middle of summer. Now in 20 degree weather it only needs half choke and its running. Same for our M's. Barely touch the starter and they run.

I have liked everything so far with the kits I have installed. Hope that you are doing well Kieth

• I've been putting electronics in every multiple cylinder engine I have and all work very well.

11 hours ago, bitty said:

I have liked everything so far with the kits I have installed. Hope that you are doing well Kieth

Thanks, Tim. Yes, Laura and I are doing well. Kids too - all working hard at school and home, and mostly getting along with each other LOL

Keith-

I put a Pertonix electronic ignition and coil on my 340. It would crank but would not fire until I took my finger off the starter button. I ended up going back to points. Any ideas what would cause this?

We have an old Toyota forktruck that would burn up a set of points in 3 days and foul out the plugs. Had a couple "professional" mechanics work on it with no success. I finally put an electronic iginition & high performance coil in it. That's been 4-5 years ago, still has the same plugs that I put in at the same time.

Very lucky boy growing up on a farm with a Dad showing him how to do things, - please buy gloves for him.  Ken Ryan

12 hours ago, IH Forever said:

I put a Pertonix electronic ignition and coil on my 340. It would crank but would not fire until I took my finger off the starter button. I ended up going back to points. Any ideas what would cause this?

I've read that the Electronic ignition modules need a certain amount of voltage to fire and with the starter pulling the battery down, it may not have enough voltage to run the module.  I've read the 6 volt systems are very sensitive to this.  I have no experience with them, just what I've read.

Dan

22 hours ago, IH Forever said:

You are not getting voltage to the electronics when you push the button. Check your wiring, probably the coil is not getting voltage.

Funny, I've heard nothing but horror stories about these things. One day *PIFF*, the magic smoke comes out and you've got nothing. At least with a points and condensor ignition you can fix it by freezing your fingers off and get the cows fed. With a Pertronix, you sit and wait 2-3 days for the Amazon truck to come with your new ignition. THEN you get to freeze your fingers off installing it.

28 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Funny, I've heard nothing but horror stories about these things. One day *PIFF*, the magic smoke comes out and you've got nothing. At least with a points and condensor ignition you can fix it by freezing your fingers off and get the cows fed. With a Pertronix, you sit and wait 2-3 days for the Amazon truck to come with your new ignition. THEN you get to freeze your fingers off installing it.

Never  installed a refit electric ign kit. But have changed plenty of coils and electric units when they quit. Grew up with points on everything just never had trouble with them so leave them in there.a screw driver some sand paper and you are usually going again with points.

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Well, there is truth to this.  I fried the Pertronix unit in the Case W10B one fall.  Left the key on with the engine not running so I could watch the gas gage.  Bad idea.  Of course, that was the first day of corn silage harvest and we used the W10 to push and pack . . . A couple phone calls, 1 1/2 hours driving and perhaps a half hours work to replace the module and we were ready to go again.

If it's man made of course you could have trouble with anything ! But it's sure nice not having to change points and set them while trying to work around the loader arms!

Do not live in fear, enjoy nice things. When it break fix it.

had a electronic in a R 210 truck with a 501. left key on and puff killed it . wish the instructions had mentioned that fact. Take key out when not in use.

5 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

had a electronic in a R 210 truck with a 501. left key on and puff killed it . wish the instructions had mentioned that fact. Take key out when not in use.

They should design the system to handle key on situations. HE ignitions from the big 3 autos can have key on until battery dies. Guessing the petronics unit gets hot?

There are good reasons boats don't have electronic ignitions, or at least they haven't until recently.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:01 AM, James Wilson said:

Do not live in fear, enjoy nice things. When it break fix it.

Amen to that.

On 11/14/2017 at 4:08 PM, BOBSIH856 said:

They should design the system to handle key on situations

1st generation of pertronix ignitions were subject to failure if key was left on ,this was clearly stated in the install instructions ( at least on the ones I bought and installed )

On irrigation pumps I used to set them up with an oil pressure switch controlling small bosch relay (for ignition power feed)and push button bypass for starting .

2nd generation was redesigned to handle constant voltage with key on engine off and over voltage conditions.

I love em' Have installed them in trucks,construction equipment, boats, stationary motors,tractors , autos,

Somewhere over 50+ units . Maybe 2 or 3 of the newer style have failed ( with many ,many hours or miles on them)

Why they failed ?   Heaven knows ,  My customers are prone to trying to fix things before calling me :D

Make sure the dizzy is in good shape ,vacuum and mechanical advance systems working correctly,

bushings on the shaft in good shape ,   

But I still have a Zombie Apocalypse points dizzy ready to pop in my Travelall if needed..

On 11/12/2017 at 7:02 AM, IH Forever said:

My guess would be you are hooked up to the resistor wire of the coil, instead of the full voltage wire.