560Dennis

Pressure ,well water tank ,making noise ?

All of a sudden the bladder tank is making noise . Sounds like girggling when the pump shuts off ? Any ideas ? About 15 years old 

I think you  have a check valve leaking. Letting the water flow back into the well

28 minutes ago, RKO said:

I think you  have a check valve leaking. Letting the water flow back into the well

That the 1 inch check valve to the right of the switch ?   

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

That the 1 inch check valve to the right of the switch ?   

image.jpeg

That should be it. If that' is the side that goes to the well

1 hour ago, RKO said:

That should be it. If that' is the side that goes to the well

Take out and replace or clean it ? 

4 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Take out and replace or clean it ? 

Replace. If its that old

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

pump running a lot?

No 

What is that below the 30/50 pressure switch in tee ? Is that a pressure relief valve ? Should I replace that to? 

2 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

No 

In my case (dug well) the check valve is a foot valve in the well, so you can't hear it leak. The key to finding it was when the pump would run with no demand. Pump's in the cellar so it's obvious.

Just replaced one on the barn well for that reason. They're cheap, as is a the check valve on a submerged pump so just replace it.

If check valve were bad wouldn't there be a gradual drop off of water pressure even with no faucets on? 

That looks to be a pressure relief. Mine at my house looks similar. Does your tank have a rubber bladder?

If that check valve was bad I would think that as long as the foot valve at bottom of suction line was good and nothing running in the house the pressure should hold.I was thinking that gurgling was a sign of air in line. That's why I was wondering if maybe he had a rubber bladder that may have ruptured or leaking. Idk, just thinking out loud. Thank God I haven't had any problems with mine in a while. 

30 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

If that check valve was bad I would think that as long as the foot valve at bottom of suction line was good and nothing running in the house the pressure should hold.I was thinking that gurgling was a sign of air in line. That's why I was wondering if maybe he had a rubber bladder that may have ruptured or leaking. Idk, just thinking out loud. Thank God I haven't had any problems with mine in a while. 

If the bladder was bad the pump would run often

32 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Some wells do not have a foot valve. Or they went bad a long time a go

I could be wrong but as a little water leaks from the pressure tank back into the well.  That' water needs to replaced by air in the well and that' is what he is hearing 

It would run till it compressed the air pocket down to 50 psi like the old open style without a bladder did. Like I said just spit ballin ideas. Thought if it was gurgling that some air may have been introduced to the lines.

If it isn't submersible how would it stay primed without a functioning foot valve. Not saying it wouldn't, just asking how it could. I guess it would depend if he has a shallow well or deep well but if I remember correctly a shallow well pump will only pull a maximum 24' suction and without a foot valve it would run off and on non-stop since every time it got to 50 psi it would shut off then all the water would run back down immediately since the pressure switch and bladder tank is before the check in the picture. I believe he said it's not running a lot. 

6 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

If it isn't submersible how would it stay primed without a functioning foot valve. Not saying it wouldn't, just asking how it could. I guess it would depend if he has a shallow well or deep well but if I remember correctly a shallow well pump will only pull a maximum 24' suction and without a foot valve it would run off and on non-stop since every time it got to 50 psi it would shut off then all the water would run back down immediately since the pressure switch and bladder tank is before the check in the picture. I believe he said it's not running a lot. 

A lot of things could be wrong. A lot depènds on what type of pump and how deep the well is.  Im just looking at the cheapest fix and the most often cause.  He could have a small pin hole in the pipe between the well and pressure tank.  With out seeing the well pump and pressure tank its a guess

Same here, the gurgling just had me thinking that air was being introduced that's all. If it's above ground pump there should be a bleed screw on top he may be able to crack open to see if there's air in the pump head.

Either the bladder just ruptured, or you have a split or worn through spot in your line in well above water line allowing some air in when pomp is not running.  Jim.

Good idea, I mentioned the ruptured bladder but I would have never thought about a worn through spot above the water line

2 hours ago, ih88 said:

Either the bladder just ruptured, or you have a split or worn through spot in your line in well above water line allowing some air in when pomp is not running.  Jim.

He can check to see if he has a hole in pipe by how long it takes to start to increase pressure in tank.  Pump would have to fill line first.  Pump could also be sitting above water line and pumping some air.   Could be balder but usally after a couple cycles the tank water logs and pump kicks on all the time 

You can tell if the bladder has failed by simply feeling how heavy the tank is. You should be able to slightly tip the tank unless the bladder has failed. If it feels real heavy then its full of water.

42 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

You can tell if the bladder has failed by simply feeling how heavy the tank is. You should be able to slightly tip the tank unless the bladder has failed. If it feels real heavy then its full of water.

Lorenzo is correct. How heavy is the tank? This should be checked when the pump is off and the pressure is out of the system,  0 psi on guage or no water flowing out of a faucet - many times the guage is not functional. This is the best time to check the air charge in the tank. It should be 2-5 psi less than the switch cut in "on" pressure. You should never get water out of the Schrader valve "tire stem".  Sounds like your tank may be failing.  

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

I thought about the pressure tank but he said the pump is not running a lot. If the bladder broke every time he used a little water the pump usally kicks on.