Sign in to follow this  
FarmerFixEmUp

Rear Tractor Tire Suggestions

My 5488 has Kelly Springfield 20.8x38 long bar short bar tires on it. The dual tires are Goodyear Dyna Torques, same tread pattern. I hauled some grain with it this fall and those tires ride horrible on the road and at certain speeds the cab vibrates. Everything in the cab rattles. All the cab mounts are new. I have it on my disc chisel now and it does a lot of spinning.  It has 2 sets of split weights on each rear wheel.  Tread on the drive tires is still about 70%. 

I also hauled some grain with my 5288. Had the duals off. It has 18.4x42 Firestone Super All Traction Radials. A much better ride. Both sets of tires have about 20 PSI air pressure. The 5288 has the same amount of weight on it. 

I have checked out some tires for the 5488. Firestone radials are about $1500 each. They also suggested BKT? He said similar to a Firestone with the bars farther apart. The are about $1200. 

One tire store also said there is no problem with radials on the inside with bias ply tires on the duals. I thought that was a no no. If I'd get 4 new tires that's almost half what I paid for the tractor!:blink:

My neighbor has 2 4430 Deere's. One has Firestone radials and the other has Coop LSB's. I drove them both this fall and the LSB's were the same way. 

I like the firestone 23 deg. Radials on my tractors. I would not be afraid to run your bias duals with drive tires. We have 20.8×38 on our 54. Smooth ride.

20170609_130942.jpg

Firestone radials or the super all traction! I wont buy anything else unless its for the old M! DO NOT buy the super all traction 2s! 

I don't care for those tires either, but I would deflate em and finish wear them out unless you can't get the slippage reduced to the correct range.

I have had good luck and good service from radial Firestones.  My Goodyear experience hasnt been as good.  Not sure I am sold on that BKT tread pattern.  Some guys have bought them and been very happy.  Had a friend buy a set and one went bad within a week.  

bill 

image.jpg

For me I procrastinate , the rubber I look at on the used tire of the off brands, I can  afford is dry rotted .

i would get 6 ply if possible , I think they pull much better ,less slippage ,and wasted fuel ,that. What I think m, can't prove it but on the small tractors I can prove it pulling further .

If you want lots of traction you could put 650/65R38s on your current 18" wide rims, those are a 24" wide tire.  A Michelin that size is around $2,500 but a BIT or Mitas would be quite a bit cheaper.

I would go firestone. Even if they are not as good as before. Got goodyears on combine 18.4 38 duals radial. They are about 8 years old now but completely shot. Two tires got bulges in looked like a well endowed lady. And they eventually busted open but still hold air and weather checks all over the place.if you enlarge photo you can see the duals they constantly need air when cold also. The left side inner and outer had the bulges. Right side tires loose air in cool weather

IMG_1722.JPG

8 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

My 5488 has Kelly Springfield 20.8x38 long bar short bar tires on it. The dual tires are Goodyear Dyna Torques, same tread pattern. I hauled some grain with it this fall and those tires ride horrible on the road and at certain speeds the cab vibrates. Everything in the cab rattles. 

Ever since the GY OEM ag tire Sales mgr told me in about 1980 the long bar/short bar Dyna-Torque was to combat violent cab shake on something called a Sound Gard Body I knew it was a bad deal for every other color of tractor.

Went with Firestones on the MFD 54.  Rides good, good traction as well,. No loaded tires, just front weights.  On the 2wd I have Michlens agribib 45° bars.  Ride is great and they get great traction as well.  Only extra weight I have on it is 13 suitcase weights and the 2 sets of rear wheel weights.

Matt

1229142113.jpg

We have some new firestone 23* an they ride an pull well.  The duals are michelins same size about 2/3 wore.  I have dyna-torque on MX170 and they dont dig well i guess but this tractor does mowing and stacking mainly.  Ride nice on rd too.  Take a little air out...15psi i run.  Seem to wear better roading too.  BKT, we have radial 16.9/R28 and bias 16.9/28....the R are 100% better in every way.  Way better ride (frt MFD tractors) and wear.  They are not as good as Firestone or GY or Michelins, but for generally 25% less $ I think if a tractor is on dirt they are a good option.  We get lots of cement work so everything wears faster than you dirt farmers would see I assume.  GY 16.9/r28 that were OEM on my MX170 frt lasted like 7000+ hrs.  But man they were near a grand more for a set.

You can see the good years get a bulge in the side on last picture. The combine gets a lot of weight should probably have 20.8 tires then hopper extension and hills a lot of weight on sidewalls

11 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Firestone radials or the super all traction! I wont buy anything else unless its for the old M! DO NOT buy the super all traction 2s! 

Why is that?  I put those on acouple tractors, for the price they work well.  I prefer F-stone deep treads myself, but those are salty.

Firestone used to have the field and road, traction field and road and super all traction in bias. They replaced the first 2 with SAT 2. They were all good we run a bunch of Super all traction and SAT 2 all good tires.  Goodyear tires years ago were okay to it just seems they aren't as good anymore. All tires though are not what they used to be. I have a hard time believing John Deere's would power hop worse than any other tractor. Versatile tractors seem to have ran mostly goodyears and a lot of those in the country at one time . If you want power hop try a high hp 4 wd.

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Why is that?  I put those on acouple tractors, for the price they work well.  I prefer F-stone deep treads myself, but those are salty.

The sat2 is good for a tractor not doin much work thiers less bars on the tire and thier not as wide as the radial all traction or the bias version the super all traction! And if you road a tractor alot they will melt off like butter! The bias super all traction was not replace by the sat2 its still avalible my guy priced them about $300 less than a radial all traction 18.4/38!  

SAT 2 replaced the cheaper at the time field and road and the better traction field and road. In the later years super all traction came along. Firestone even had a long bar short bar tire . Pictures will come tommorrow. 

Ones we put then on ran the road some with heavy 3 pt equipment, I didn't think they did worse than anything else we have used. I would buy them again if needed, especially for a batwing tractor.

Here is some pics how they hold up over the years  1. sat 11 bias 10 years old lots of miles 2. Traction field and road 10 years about not as much miles loader use.3 8630 JD SAT bias mounted in early 90s 5000 for set lots of use.4 long bar shot bar firestone and Goodyear mix . Goodyear is 5 years old firestone is 88 model 5. Traction field and road from the 70s 6. Field and roads on a super m from 78. 7 new SAT about 10?years old never mounted for duals on a JD $485 in 2006  18.4 :38 bias. And last radials on our 976 lots of use.

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

Once you think about how many tires you have around the farm it gets ridiculous. Bet we have some place around 750 mounted tires around here with tractors , trucks, implements and vehicles

5 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Once you think about how many tires you have around the farm it gets ridiculous. Bet we have some place around 750 mounted tires around here with tractors , trucks, implements and vehicles

I don't farm and have 30...Plus not counting spairs...