dwillis4

Repair / Restoration strategy recommendations?

OK, let's say you have a nice little project that needs some light mechanical work, along with some gaskets, seals, etc. to stop the leaks and no *known* bearing issues. Also on the list is a full repaint - red AND silver. There are no serious sheet metal issues and no missing parts. It may well be that the actual leaky seals are limited to the torque tube and rear axles. Regardless, it boils down to two activities - Repairing, and Painting. So here is the question - Would you recommend having the repair work done at one shop and the paint work done later at another shop -OR- would you recommend having the repair and paint done together at one time? It would seem to me that there could be some savings from not having to take it apart twice, BUT there may also be very little 'redundant work' between the two shops if the work is separated. 

I'm looking for un-biased answers and that's why I'm asking you. What would YOU do?  (My shop is set up for WOODworking, and I have no deep IH repair experience)

When I get started back up on it I will be in the process of doing this to my 450 Farmall . Seeing as I'm doing it all myself it will only be done at one place but I definitely say it is more efficient to have it apart doing seals and that type stuff paint some of the stuff then reassemble it. 

I wold suggest getting all of the mechanical repairs out of the way first and verify the are sound then worry about looking good. Nothing worse than spending the time on a good paint job just to muck it up. As you can see in the following pictures I thought I was done with mechanical repairs only to find out with one week old paint that an axle tube gasket was bad. Apparently all of the rock hard grease I removed was acting as the gasket. If you have the time and know what you need to repair, go for a repair and restoration in one shot. Just plan on finding more than expected with these old girls. 

DBFD8500-D7C1-412B-AF6F-A900BB11667B.jpeg

18F03AE7-7271-40EA-9DBC-0B5A47ADDFB9.jpeg

x2  FIx it.  Run it.  Hard.  Fix all the new leaks.  Run again.  Fix last leak.  Run again.  (Option A: Decide to just run/sell it as you no longer have the money to continue.)  Option B: Then clean and paint.

I agree you usually find more leaks. The two options is to go through mechanical and put back together then run to check before paint as stated or if you are just looking to replace any leaking seals before paint clean the tractor up really good by pressure washing and de-greasing then run it before doing anything to see for sure what specific seals have to be replaced. Then it could theoretically all be done at once. Unless you plan to have ALL the seals done it which case doing it in one shot would be ideal as it would have to come a long way apart and would be ideal for painting as it went back together.

I would follow what the guys are suggesting, " Clean, Run hard, fix , repeat"  im two years in with my IH and im still on this cycle. Im happy i have not painted yet, and i get the feeling it might be a few more years before i do :unsure:

So when are we gonna see some pix of your project w4 ?  

we all love pictures  !!!!

17 hours ago, SAM86 said:

Just plan on finding more than expected with these old girls. 

OK, I can painfully (Sorry Sam) see the wisdom in the run - fix - run - fix  ...  paint cycle.      You guys sure are dependable !

Sam86,   I LOVE the photos of your '49 !      ( PM for more?  )