oleman

WILD BIRD IN YARD

Went out the back door and found this little guy looking for a meal.

Posed for me to take 24 pictures.

The little brush pile it is on has a family of field mice.

HAWK-IN-YARD 016.JPG

HAWK-IN-YARD 020.JPG

HAWK-IN-YARD 021.JPG

HAWK-IN-YARD 019.JPG

Looks like a sparrow hawk.

That looks a lot like the Sharp Shinned hawk I've seen here. They are a smaller hawk but bigger than a sparrow hawk (Merlin). 

http://www.hawkmountain.org/raptorpedia/hawks-at-hawk-mountain/hawk-species-at-hawk-mountain/sharp-shinned-hawk/page.aspx?id=575

I guess I should have elaborated.  A sparrow hawk (according to Google so it has to be true) is any number of small hawk species.  I was not trying to get finite because my hawk knowledge would only allow me to put my foot in my mouth most likely since I'm not a bird watcher of any sort.  Around here it is a small hawk and most would call it a sparrow hawk and only be partially correct at best.  Ralph is probably much closer in his analysis. 

nice about 2/3 size

our hay fields feed about 15 redtails  and 7 coyotes  both follow right behind  wagon

last year had 3 bald eagles but nesting pair did not show this year 

I got a good close up look at one of these hawks about 25 years ago when one flew into the window of the house and was killed. Miraculously the window did not even crack.  We don't see a lot of them here. Mostly the big broad tailed ones that soar on the thermals of summer days watching for rodents. What they call sparrow hawks here are actually Merlins, a small falcon. They nest in the evergreens around my yard every summer.