hardknocks

Residual of oil sludge in radiator

Where's all the places water can get in radiator.  Oil cooler front cover,head gasket.  When I drained the antifreeze there was some oil sludge that ran out also. I have a 436 that is cracked by a injector sleeve that runs up and over the valve cover area and into valve train on #3 . It leaks water not bad out of the crack. Took head off and head gasket looks good. The water ports was filthy with  oily residue and sludge. Of course im replacing head. .the oil cooler I thought was the culprit so I removed it. And it didn't have any signs of oil residue . I'm going to pressure test it and verify.  But if front cover is leaking wouldn't that put water in oil.  And there is no water in oil just radiator. 

I cannot answer your question, but run Cascade and water in it to remove the oil residue.  You may have to do several flushes to get it clean.

As an engine cools down after use if the radiator cap is working as it should there should be a slight vacuum created in the cooling system as the coolant contracts. It may be drawing oil into the cooling system from the crack under the valve cover.

Thanks guys. For info.  Will try the dawn or Cascade.  Im guessing you put antifoam in the water mixter

if ya use soap for automatic dish washer it doesn't foam very much if at all fyi drain while still fairly warm {block and radiator} fill up with water and auto dish detergent next time you run it. usually takes bout three times unless its really grungy you will know when you've clean enough by color of the gunk draining out good luck russ    

4 hours ago, hardknocks said:

Thanks guys. For info.  Will try the dawn or Cascade.  Im guessing you put antifoam in the water mixter

We use Cascade at work, doesn't foam up like Dawn does, cleans just as well.

One thing you can do to help get the oil out is plumb a water hose to the drain and reverse flush so the oil is floated out the top instead of letting it coat the inside of the engine when you drain it. Makes a bit of  a mess but you'll get the oil out with less flush cycles.

9 hours ago, masteinmann said:

I used dawn soap after my free help put diesel in the radiator of my 1586

Does he normally drive a Deere 30-60 series?

4 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I was thinking that same thing. 

Local yellow underwear guy put a few gallon of antifreeze in his tractor before he realized he was putting it in the fuel tank

No he thought it was like out 56's, fuel up front. I would gave thought that the radiator neck would have been a give away. Some times cheap help gets expensive.

11 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Had a kid who grew up on a john deere farm fill the radiator up on a farmall M once with gasoline.  Just sent him to the fields to mow ditch rows.  Didn't even effect it at all.  But that was in the late 70's and a M

2 hours ago, masteinmann said:

No he thought it was like out 56's, fuel up front. I would gave thought that the radiator neck would have been a give away. Some times cheap help gets expensive.

What do you mean fuel up front? Did you have an auxiliary tank on it? Fuel tank is right in front of steering wheel on red ones. 

Make a set of plates to cap off the oil cooler. I used a tubeless valve stem in mine. I rtv'd them to my cooler to be sure they sealed  and let it set up overnight. The next day I put 20lbs in there and dipped it in water and found my leak. I used dawn. I overfilled my rad as much as possible to get some out the top like mentioned. I ran mine around with the cap off or loose. Get it up to good operating temp and then stick the hose in from the top allowing more to come out. Then drain and repeat. Then repeat again, and again. I did mine 5 times because I wanted it clean.   It's not really that bad of job. I did it out in the driveway to where it just went down the gravel. What little oil came out was negligible. 

thanks for all the replys.  I pressure tested mine in a garabage can  and no bubbles.  im going to go with then head being cracked.  and hope that's it.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:03 AM, Maynard said:

We use Cascade at work, doesn't foam up like Dawn does, cleans just as well.

One thing you can do to help get the oil out is plumb a water hose to the drain and reverse flush so the oil is floated out the top instead of letting it coat the inside of the engine when you drain it. Makes a bit of  a mess but you'll get the oil out with less flush cycles.

thanks maynard  will try that

We had a W9 with a cracked head, got water in the oil. I drained the rad and filled it with diesel fuel. Worked well enough for the year or so it took to find a head from a 600 gas to swap on. BTW, some "experts" claim there were no gas 600's built! Well there was at least one!