Sign in to follow this  
tommyw-5088

4366 trans lube

The 4366 appears to have been updated to the 86 series lube system .

Trans /diff/ transfer case all tied together .

How can I add a pressure gage to monitor the pressure , and or a pressure switch somewhere to keep an eye on it .

It has the sight glass in the front diff ,I think it could have been updated to pressure lube on the front diff .

Tractor has about 10,000 hours , but many parts are new or rebuilt . 

I have considered adding a hyd temp guage to mine.

Thx-Ace

The only thing my 4386 had was a low oil level sensor in the front diff.   IIRC, the oil pressure is part of the main hydraulics circuit, and you would notice loss of pressure there real fast.  

Sorry, sold the 43 and sent the service manual along with it, so I'm kinda out of the game!

One of those tractors (45 or 66 or 86? ) series had an factory update on lubing the trans with an external line. Ken covered it in a red power issue several years ago. We did one for a customer a few years before that. Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks everyone ,It seems to have some type of lube pump driven off the side of the transmission .

The line feeds the front main pump , its really odd . what does the trans lube pump actually do ?

The dump from the hydraulic levers is dumping on top of the pinion .

Is this the updated pressure lube pinion ?

Oil is clearly going in and out o the transmission.

My 4366 has the transmission oil pumped through a filter and cooler (in front of the radiator) and back to the transmission.  The oil pump and cooler are on the right side of the tractor.  If you need more info I can get you a copy of the hyd and trans oil flow on these tractors from my service book.  Thx-Ace

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:05 AM, tommyw-5088 said:

Thanks everyone ,It seems to have some type of lube pump driven off the side of the transmission .

The line feeds the front main pump , its really odd . what does the trans lube pump actually do ?

The dump from the hydraulic levers is dumping on top of the pinion .

Is this the updated pressure lube pinion ?

Oil is clearly going in and out o the transmission.

The fuller speed transmission oiling system is separate from the main hydraulic system that feeds the rest of the tractor.

That is why you have to be so careful with leaks on those tractors, you can run the main transmission dry quite quickly.

If memory serves its mainly there to cool the transmission....I'll have to dig out my service manual, it's been a while since I was into one of the smaller tractors.

The larger tractors used a Spicer 10 speed that was lubed by hytran - it just had a metered dump on the splitter housing that constantly added oil to the transmission and on the side of it IH had modified a steel plate with what amounted to overflow pipe that maintained the oil level at the proper level....anything over that level ran into the pipe and drained down into the main housing again.

if you can get your hands on an IH chassis service manual, that has a large section of it devoted to explaining the lubrication and hydraulic systems in detail and would be a great help to understand things better.

Where is the fill plug for the trans system ?

Mine has a hose plumbed up to the normal fill plug location on a truck transmission .

Thanks for the replies everyone