Bill in Eastern WA

Loadstar 1800 Transmission Options

Thanks for the add.  I have been searching through the various loadstar topics on troubleshooting electrical and transmission issues for this Loadstar 1800. This 1976 loadstar 1800 is my project.  I put up hay and wanted a truck with a retriever bed to haul hay with and found this truck locally.   It had been sitting for many years and with a little work I got the MV446 running.  My biggest concern now is I believe the transmission is trashed.  It's a T496 and I'm pretty sure someone put 90 wt gear oil in it.  Smells like it and lots of brass, chunks of metal and other stuff came out with it when I drained the oil.  The truck still shifts and moves but there is no way I would trust it.  I have been looking around and replacement transmissions for these trucks are not very easy to come by in our area.  I did run across a Fuller six speed FS6406A transmission that looks like it would bolt in.  They were used in later model International trucks.  Looking for any suggestions or comments if this would be a good idea.

I have always really liked these trucks and want to get it back into useable condition.  It's in otherwise pretty nice shape and looks better than most trucks relegated to hauling hay.

IMG_1886.JPG.0fa421d0ac252435c5dc193a7f7e1c59.JPG

Welcome aboard Bill ,,   These folks advertise on ebay and seem to have a supply of IH transmissions INTERNATIONAL T35 TRANSMISSION 5 SPEED 304, 345, & 396 ENGINES | eBay

21 hours ago, Bill in Eastern WA said:

Thanks for the add.  I have been searching through the various loadstar topics on troubleshooting electrical and transmission issues for this Loadstar 1800. This 1976 loadstar 1800 is my project.  I put up hay and wanted a truck with a retriever bed to haul hay with and found this truck locally.   It had been sitting for many years and with a little work I got the MV446 running.  My biggest concern now is I believe the transmission is trashed.  It's a T496 and I'm pretty sure someone put 90 wt gear oil in it.  Smells like it and lots of brass, chunks of metal and other stuff came out with it when I drained the oil.  The truck still shifts and moves but there is no way I would trust it.  I have been looking around and replacement transmissions for these trucks are not very easy to come by in our area.  I did run across a Fuller six speed FS6406A transmission that looks like it would bolt in.  They were used in later model International trucks.  Looking for any suggestions or comments if this would be a good idea.

I have always really liked these trucks and want to get it back into useable condition.  It's in otherwise pretty nice shape and looks better than most trucks relegated to hauling hay.

IMG_1886.JPG.0fa421d0ac252435c5dc193a7f7e1c59.JPG

Yea I forget my trans numbers but one of those is supposed to run just light oil. Gear oil will kil it. Good luck those older trans get harder to find.

22 hours ago, dale560 said:

to run just light oil. Gear oil will kil it.

GL-5 is the big no no,,,,,80-90 straight mineral oil is the ticket (Ford tractor trans oil (available at tractor supply) 

and yes heard about a top shaft lube problem with heavy oils, 80-90 is about equal to 50 weight motor oil

Some gear oil manufacturers will claim their additive packages are just fine for brass synchros -- of course they don't have to fix em

Recommend looking up "bob the oil guy" website lots of good info

1 minute ago, Kevingweq said:

GL-5 is the big no no,,,,,80-90 straight mineral oil is the ticket (Ford tractor trans oil (available at tractor supply) 

and yes heard about a top shaft lube problem with heavy oils, 80-90 is about equal to 50 weight motor oil

Some gear oil manufacturers will claim their additive packages are just fine for brass synchros -- of course they don't have to fix em

Recommend looking up "bob the oil guy" website lots of good info

The problem with one of those 5 speeds is low and reverse were collar shift instead of like other trans sliding gears. with a sliding gear when not in low or reverse gear is slid off countershaft just riding on top out put. The collar shift gear always stays engaged to counter shaft spinning big gear on out put at insane speed when in other gears esp high. Wears bore of gear if heavy oil is used.

Dale was it the T35 ? later known as T-495 ( direct 5th)     (brochure page only shows T34-36)

5a0653aca8f15_talltowing014001(654x900).thumb.jpg.6cd2236d4c2a9b9341d777a53bec37e4.jpg

Bill

If my "rememberer" is working correctly.    There are a lot of service bulletins from IH about the  13495  and 13496 transmission codes,  or T 495 and T 496 Models.   The final service bulletin recommendation was  for 15W 40 engine oil as a lubricant, due to what Kevin has said.  The first problems we had at the dealership was solved by an IH service bulletin that said to install a 3/4" NPT 45* elbow in the oil fill hole, which when filled to the top of the new elbow would increase the oil capacity by 2 more pints.  And then drain the oil out of the case and refill with 15W 40 engine oil.   The new transmission cases had the oil fill hole raised up in the case which would raise the oil level by 2 pints.  You can tell the new cases from the old ones by looking at the oil fill plug hole, the new case will have the oil fill hole located up toward the top of the "boss".

GT&T 

1 hour ago, Kevingweq said:

Dale was it the T35 ? later known as T-495 ( direct 5th)     (brochure page only shows T34-36)

5a0653aca8f15_talltowing014001(654x900).thumb.jpg.6cd2236d4c2a9b9341d777a53bec37e4.jpg

I forget numbers but they were in loadstar 1700 . 75 or 76 models it was one of the 400 number models just can't remember number now. Fixed a couple of them last one is still laying apart in front of shop needed a whole trans for that one it was the 5 speed. Dad had 4 speeds in his 1600s we used to have self inflicted problems with them to. Load to heavy truck sinks in soft field back up so you don't snap axle with to much forward torque and reverse gear would crack trans case. The old days when I used to fix a truck trans every couple weeks. Chevy 4 speeds an Easton 5 speeds could do them blindfolded.

Thanks for all the information.  I did enough research to know that I don't want to switch to the fuller 6 speed.  It requires changing more than I want to change. So here is another question. If a T36, T496, or a T699 would all be a bolt in replacement, which one should I use?  I have a T496 but was thinking if one has an advantage over the other maybe change.  With theT699 being a newer version there must be some improvements?