Sign in to follow this  
dale560

Feeder chain fun.

Recommended Posts

Ran a rock in last hour of soybeans. It tore the triple chain that was extremely shot. Chain came out front of combine into header so removal was easy. Had a 1480 that had a better 2 strand in so removed that and installed in place of 3,strand to finish corn. About 2 hours of messing around in the snow and 21 degrees but ready to go again tomorrow. Combine needs to be gone when finished with harvest.

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Wouldn’t be a bad job before harvest in a shop. But always seems to happen in the cold when a guys in a hurry. Things are full of chaff and cold fingers, never fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dale.   Glad it didn't make it to the rotor!   Any damage to head?     Your sprockets look a little wore too.   It sure is nice to have some parts around to get by.   I guess it's better to break in the last hour than the first!   

Nate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, nate said:

Dale.   Glad it didn't make it to the rotor!   Any damage to head?     Your sprockets look a little wore too.   It sure is nice to have some parts around to get by.   I guess it's better to break in the last hour than the first!   

Nate

No the head pulled the chain right out the front and coiled it like a new one. Hauled it home in front of header . I knew chain and sprockets were completely shot before wheat harvest. . I just didn't want to spend any money on it right away. We paid junk price for combine when we bought it and it served us well. We put 1500 hours on it in 5 years. I just have 250 acres of corn left and I thought might as well put old chain in it to finish. Combine just needs everything now again so I want to buy a better one next year. That is about the 15th Rock out of feeder house or trap this year. I have taken about 100 of the header or stopped and backed up so they fell off.  Combine doesn't fit in shop without folding  topper and letting air out of tires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my 1680 has a 2 strand chain and a few years ago a rock got stuck in between the feeder chain bar and the front drum stopping it had to drop the header in the field and I beat it with a hammer trying to but ended up reversing the chain by hand and feeding it in and pulling it out the top door, thing was the size of a football had to take the bar off and straighten it to,

hope it works well enough to finish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me thinks you need some serious stone picking done on your land. We have stones also but we now have to windrow and pick every spring to avoid what happened to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George 2 said:

Me thinks you need some serious stone picking done on your land. We have stones also but we now have to windrow and pick every spring to avoid what happened to you.

We have serious rocks and hills here. The problem is the last 300 acres were not rolled. They usually set in and header rides up over when rolled but when not they pop into head. I will have to take a picture of rock picker and rock piles. Just something we deal with out here. Years ago we used to pick with rock picker and pickup. Would pick 5 pickup loads a day and 10 to 20 picker loads a day. When I say pickup load I mean 8ft box that had fuel tank in so 6 ft long piled up high and unloaded by hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you have many more rocks than we do. The 1020 header has the lip that usually keeps them on top of the guards but sometimes if you aren't watching they do get in onto the table. We have the stone retarder drum and set it fairly tight such that the biggest that I have had get into the rock trap is about 3 inch in diameter, The down side of setting the drum fairly tight is that slugs of soybeans often slip the clutch with a wad just in front of the drum. If you have a year with green stems this becomes a hassle. The real answer is a draper header to give uniform feeding. We hired a custom cutter this year to do some of our beans and he had a 8240 with a 35 foot MacDon head. He never had any slugs and just combined at a fantastic rate of 13 acres per hour. Truly an outstanding machine. Good luck with the rest of your harvest.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, George 2 said:

Sounds like you have many more rocks than we do. The 1020 header has the lip that usually keeps them on top of the guards but sometimes if you aren't watching they do get in onto the table. We have the stone retarder drum and set it fairly tight such that the biggest that I have had get into the rock trap is about 3 inch in diameter, The down side of setting the drum fairly tight is that slugs of soybeans often slip the clutch with a wad just in front of the drum. If you have a year with green stems this becomes a hassle. The real answer is a draper header to give uniform feeding. We hired a custom cutter this year to do some of our beans and he had a 8240 with a 35 foot MacDon head. He never had any slugs and just combined at a fantastic rate of 13 acres per hour. Truly an outstanding machine. Good luck with the rest of your harvest.    

Everyone around us is running new with draper heads. There are 5 9240 with 40 and 45 ft headers within a mile either way of us. A lot of 8010 8120s also just us poor people left that run older combines. Our local dealer said they picked up business from all over the state this year. All chain dealers don't stock older axial flow stuff just flagship parts . So their business is way up this year. I would upgrade to new but price is a factor. The whole story is on Halloween it was nice here the day before I plugged feeder house with wad of soybeans burnt clutch bad. I unplugged and notice I had a broken link under feeder bar. It was still holding strand together. They forecast snow on November 1 . I had 30 acres left Halloween night went out and finished most of them and plugged feeder about 10 pm with wet stems. Had 10 acres left no big deal. Went out next morning done some and snow started. I went home to open corn field away from fence rows before they blew over. I combined a load of corn and it quit snowing. Next day I thought I will change heads go finish soybeans the worry about corn because more snow forecast. I went back 2 rounds soybeans working but feeding  in wet bunches thought I can do this for hour more. Stone got in bunch ran in feeder chain came out and I was done. The previous chain had 4 links and one bar removed already so it was done anyway. Got combine  block heater plugged in now feeder chain is in and when I get truck dumped going to start on corn again. Supposed to get nice again above freezing so soybeans I have left will get done also next week. With jd combine though and locked up head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this