Sign in to follow this  
pt756

hours on a magnum?

what is the most hours that you have heard on a magnum ? we are only at about 6000, on each one would not be afraid to buy another one with a lot more hours plus the low hour ones are getting harder to find.

Rick G. on here had a 7220 with 600hrs on it, not sure it would win the highest hour award though...

I saw one with 23,000 hours on it about 20 years ago..  Dont know if it is still running. 

My wife’s uncle has a 7220 with somewhere around 35,000 last I heard. He’s had the tranny redone twice (first at something like 2200 hours because of an operator screw-up) and is on the second engine. It runs a mixer wagon on a dairy. 

2 hours ago, SMiller said:

Rick G. on here had a 7220 with 600hrs on it, not sure it would win the highest hour award though...

Yeah wasn't that a hoot. What a find. It was a 1994 model that an 84 year old farmer purchased new for himself. I got it 10 years later in 2004 with 652 hours on it when he "retired" at age 94. He was still sharp as a tack when I talked to him. He's probably not around any more, he'd be like 107 years old now if he was. Dang that was a nice tractor. I called it my Cadillac. 

On FB IH Group a guy posted a 60000 hr one....IIRC...couple years ago.  Few engines, few trans but still using on California dairy.  If you look at the RB auction held during the Tulare show they always have few red tractors with 30-45000 hr on them from mixer boxes.  Buddy has 8310 JD with 40000 something.  Pretty amazing what sealed engines and better oils/filter can get done.

We have young ones....14000/7140, 10200/8930.  7140 runs everyday on mixer.  8930 does tillage, drag hosing, solids spreading, stacking corn silage, pulling silage buggy wagon, rakes sometime, etc

we had a mast move here from Pennsylvania a few years ago brought some with 17k on 7120 they were hauling manure

There used to be a farmer who did vegetables on here, I thought he had some high hour tractors?  Haven't seen him in a few years, or maybe I got it all mixed up

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine worked at Hoober's and said he knew of a boxcar Magnum used on a TMR with 20,000+ hours and the engine was never apart.

13 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Ask Bitty:P

I'm not sure if I would know much we don't really have any high our ones. Our boxcars have 7140-15,015  , 7240-12,224 , 7250-13,333 , 7250pro-11,592 , 7250pro-16,678 , and the (first one we ever got) 8950-16,055

Unless I did my math wrong or average hours for these is 14149.5

It was at least 10 years ago maybe longer hoober Incorporated had a advertisement out about one that I believe the Philadelphia racetrack had 22,000 hours on it I believe the motor and transmission and never been touched

so bitty with those kind of hours transmissions or engines?

21 minutes ago, pt756 said:

so bitty with those kind of hours transmissions or engines?

Our original 8950 is the original engine. Transmission on all. What we are using them for ( transport of silage and poo-poo) is the hardest thing on the transmission possible. In tillage I expect them to last 15K+ hours. Our original 89 had 6500 at the first trans job and had hauled a fair amount of poo-poo by then. We have done a few engines, only one had a catastrophic failure. 

On 11/8/2017 at 8:57 AM, AKwelder said:

There used to be a farmer who did vegetables on here, I thought he had some high hour tractors?  Haven't seen him in a few years, or maybe I got it all mixed up

VirginiaVeg was his handle, I think.

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

Yes I haven't heard from him lately. I assume that he has some hectic times at the field

My 7130 has just under 4000 hours and I bought it new in 1991.  With that said and at the current rate, mine will have about 11000 hours on it when it is 100 years old and just broke in!  In reality, it will have less that that because when I retire, I plan on keeping it until I die and it might get 25 hours per year after that.

jerry

X2. My 7130 4300 hours on it and the 7120 has 3200 hours on it. If I rent out my place next year neither one will get used much any more and your comments will apply to me also. And since I face a 50% marginal tax rate if I sold them, they will sit in my shed as shed queens rather than give those leftist scumbags in Toronto and Ottawa any money of mine. 

3 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

I finally got to a regular computer and looked him up, seems he has not been on since May or so.  Hope all is well

45 minutes ago, George 2 said:

X2. My 7130 4300 hours on it and the 7120 has 3200 hours on it. If I rent out my place next year neither one will get used much any more and your comments will apply to me also. And since I face a 50% marginal tax rate if I sold them, they will sit in my shed as shed queens rather than give those leftist scumbags in Toronto and Ottawa any money of mine. 

I can take them off your hands and keep them limbered up and you need not worry about getting taxed higher ;):)

hello bitty thanks for response so I have something to think about what does the average transmission cost? do you fix what you have or put in rebuild? around here those ford genesis are real popular I was always hearing of transmission troubles with them.

6 minutes ago, pt756 said:

hello bitty thanks for response so I have something to think about what does the average transmission cost? do you fix what you have or put in rebuild? around here those ford genesis are real popular I was always hearing of transmission troubles with them.

A complete trans job is about 14-15,000. It is about what a complete inframe OH with injectors and turbo would cost. It costs us around $5 an hour to maintain the transmission plus oil changes. Tires cost us about $2 an hour or so. 

Know of a guy who's ran a few magnums to high hours, his record before needing a transmission rebuild is 54,000 hours and he' ran a couple past 30,000 before the engine needs major work.  

His feed mixer tractor gets a 250 hour engine oil change every 21 days.

just got done driving an 8210 john deere for hauling manure they aren't a bad tractor either, the hitch in the back really looked sturdy where the tanker hooked on. did notice that a nice bundle of wires running from console that controls shifting and everything else, wonder how that works as they age.

Local dairy guy up here has a 7120 w/loader that runs 24/7 from november 1st to april first.  He won't take a chance on it not starting in the cold and it is the only tractor he keeps at that farm.  He bought it new and the hour meter quit the 3rd year.  He figures around 40,000 hours on it.  He has had a few issues but nothing out of line for the way it is used.  It has never been washed and is really rough but runs like a sewing machine.  Firestone guy claims he has put at least 20 sets of tires on it.  It runs mostly on concrete, so it burns them off every 18 months.

jerry

I know most of the magnums here got engines around10,000 hrs. The dealer here doesn't even overhaul the 8.3 caseih rebuilts. Ours made it to 9900 hours before it went bad. It is rare to find one here that hasn't had engine work done. Even if you bought a magnum with a couple thousand hours pretty good chance timing cover has been changed, the early ones all had a recall for oil burning or piston issues in one hp setting. And if they got past the front leaks the early original rear main seal doesn't like high hours that was the demise of our engine. Not saying one can't run a lot of hours but on average 8 out of 10 won't make over 10,000 on engine. Case ih dealer says about highest hour engine they changed was 14,000