Sign in to follow this  
ibendem

1020 flex head question

We're trying to set up a 1020 table to run on a 79 1460 with mechanical sensing. We purchased the astronomically priced turnbuckle shown in the parts book, but can't figure out how to mount it up. I was wondering if someone who is running a 1020 on a mechanical machine could post a picture of the sensing adapter where the combine header height control cable attaches to the potentiometer on the head? 

I sure appreciate it.

Do not have ours anymore so no picture. One thing we had to do on ours was weld all the plates to the shaft under neath the head when we ran mechanical header control. The bolts to adjust where they clamp to the shaft will not stay. Adjust all the pads correctly and then a small spot of weld on each one. It drove me crazy until my dealer told me to weld them. Wish I had a picture for you hope this other info helps you too. Maybe yours won't bother either.

Hi ibendem. If you are using the factory auto header height control, the pure mechanical control, you will not be using the electric potentiometer mounted on the head. Instead of the cable running under the head and then to the potentiometer mounted on the head, the cable will mount from the same point under the head, then all the way back to the valve sensing arm mounted on the combine behind the ladder. If I post this image correctly, the cable #14 will attach to item # 12. The cable is close to seven feet long on ours, but the length may be different if your feeder house is the 54" instead of 47" like ours.

To have the auto header work correctly, look at your owners manual page 112 and 113. You have to tighten end to the body of the pressure coupling, turn you header height knob clockwise as far as possible then back off eight full turns. Raise the head off the ground and connect the cable to part #12 and remove the slack in the cable. You do not have to have the accumulator valve open like the operator manual suggests, it will work fine with it closed, I know because ours lost its nitrogen charge so I just shut the valve. To activate it, run at high idle and push the header valve control forward until it goes into detent. When working correctly, you should be able to go in front of header and lift crop divider with your hand and whole head will lift, release and it will go back to ground. Adjust your field height by turning knob beside the seat clockwise or counterclockwise to raise or lower it.

Your header sensing has to work or the auto header control will not. Check by lower head and watching indicator on right side of head going from the top line to the bottom line. Like INTERNATIONAL 1466 said, all the sensing arms underneath the head need to be adjusted correctly. They are just clamped on, so they can rotate out of position.

We've been running this auto header system on our 1980 1440 and 1020 head for the last five years with no problems so far. It seems like it's smoother than our electric header height on our newer combines. The cable from the head to the combine kinda just hangs there, so I attach it very, very, very loosely to the reel lift hose with a thick zip tie just so it doesn't catch on something while in the field.

image.png.8f67e667c3f4f50ccd0a61bae125fbc7.png

Thank you for the nice description and pics.

Do you know how what the part numbers are for the cable?

Thx-Ace

24 minutes ago, acem said:

Do you know how what the part numbers are for the cable?

Hi acem, there are six different lengths of cables listed ranging from 80.8 inches long to 122 inches long. There are different lengths because of the different configurations of the combines. Our 1440 has a 47 inch feederhouse with no rock trap and uses the 80.8 inch cable part #189131C1, it was roughly $150.00.

You can go to http://www.messicks.com/cas/67740

which should bring you to the parts page showing the different options of part #14.  If the link doesn't work, just look up 1440 combine, then select Hydraulics, subcategory (10-68) Hydraulics, Automatic header control, Serial No. 1501 thru 20000. Look for part #14.  www.messicks.com has an easy to use website showing the prices.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much ThirdGenRed! That helps considerably. One further question: does your control cable attach directly to the sensing tube on the head, or is there a short piece of 5/16" rod linking the sensing tube to a turnbuckle that is then attached to the cable? A picture of where the cable is attached to the head (under the head)  would help immensely. 

We bought the 5/16" rod and turnbuckle (obscenely expensive) and were thinking we may not need them if the cable goes directly to the sensing tube. Also, as a side note, we have a rock trap making the feederhouse somewhere around 52" if I remember right.

Thank you again

5 hours ago, ibendem said:

Thank you very much ThirdGenRed! That helps considerably. One further question: does your control cable attach directly to the sensing tube on the head, or is there a short piece of 5/16" rod linking the sensing tube to a turnbuckle that is then attached to the cable? A picture of where the cable is attached to the head (under the head)  would help immensely. 

We bought the 5/16" rod and turnbuckle (obscenely expensive) and were thinking we may not need them if the cable goes directly to the sensing tube. Also, as a side note, we have a rock trap making the feederhouse somewhere around 52" if I remember right.

Thank you again

That would be the 54” feeder house. 

16 hours ago, ibendem said:

Thank you again

Hi ibendem, the control cable attaches directly to the sensing tube on the head. No 5/16" rod on ours. Messicks parts site calls your feeder house a 54.5". I was always told it was either a 47" or a 54" just like jass1660 said.

Here is a couple pics of where the cable attaches to sensor tube. The guard is blocking  it somewhat, but you should still see how it is attached.

1440pic5.jpg

1440pic6.jpg

Thank you for your help, ThirdGenRed. Those pictures are exactly what we were needing .

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, ibendem said:

Thank you for your help, ThirdGenRed. Those pictures are exactly what we were needing .

Great! Glad I could help.  One more thing you should know when leaving combine with the head on, parked for a while, I was told to either pull the pin on the clevis on the sensing arm on the combine if the head is on the ground, or just use the safety prop and leave the head in the air. Supposedly, the cable can stretch if the head is left on the ground for extended periods of time while still attached to the combine.