Sign in to follow this  
Matt Kirsch

DT466 Truck engine transplants

How new can you go in DT466 truck engines and still put them in a 66 series tractor by transplanting parts off the tractor engine?

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

How new can you go in DT466 truck engines and still put them in a 66 series tractor by transplanting parts off the tractor engine?

I believe they went to electronic on truck engines in 1994. I was told look for 93 and older.

2 hours ago, fspring said:

I believe they went to electronic on truck engines in 1994. I was told look for 93 and older.

They made new generation blocks with mechanical injection also. The newer you go the more headaches. Most have roller lifters so to change the backing plate  of the timing cover gets to be a challenge. I changed a newer one into a hough payloader ended up pulling head to reset lifters. The timing cover had a spot for gear driven power steering that wouldn't fit. Anything before 1990 should be okay. 

On November 6, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

What do you want to do with tractor? Still farm use if you could find a mechanical new gen 466 or 530 you would have real mean machine. The back is almost the same but a few bolt holes would need machining but front is different . Would be nice tractor when done"

Looking for a drop-in engine for the 1066, which currently has any number of issues that are causing mysterious coolant loss.

From an earlier thread I started, it sounds like the diagnosis is going to cost more than the cure, so I am now shopping for a truck engine to drop in. I often see IH trucks with DT466's in them priced where you could pull the engine, junk the rest of the truck, and still be ahead of the game.

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Looking for a drop-in engine for the 1066, which currently has any number of issues that are causing mysterious coolant loss.

From an earlier thread I started, it sounds like the diagnosis is going to cost more than the cure, so I am now shopping for a truck engine to drop in. I often see IH trucks with DT466's in them priced where you could pull the engine, junk the rest of the truck, and still be ahead of the game.

The engines that would fit would be 25 years old now also so they are long in the tooth also. A combine engine would be more tractor drop in with right front cover but truck engines are not hard to make work. But you are going to have at least 500 dollars in gaskets and seals  changing truck parts.

Unless it is leaking profusely at the rear main seal,  do an in frame rebuild on the 414.

It's not a 414. We probably wouldn't be having these problems if they had just overhauled the original 414.

The dealership convinced Dad that a remanufactured 436 was the way to go. Quicker and significantly cheaper. You know how it goes. Need the tractor. Money doesn't grow on trees. It's "just as good."

Our understanding is that there is some remanufacturing shortcut that was taken and the engine is no good, and not fixable. It's been a ticking time bomb for a good 20+ years.

If you have to replace it and cannot find a good 414 short block, then go with a 466.  Parts kits are more readily available for the 466.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It's not a 414. We probably wouldn't be having these problems if they had just overhauled the original 414.

The dealership convinced Dad that a remanufactured 436 was the way to go. Quicker and significantly cheaper. You know how it goes. Need the tractor. Money doesn't grow on trees. It's "just as good."

Our understanding is that there is some remanufacturing shortcut that was taken and the engine is no good, and not fixable. It's been a ticking time bomb for a good 20+ years.

There is nothing in the engine that can't be fixed. . I would bet you need a head being cracked or warped and overhaul kit.