neil33

Cracked block?.......advice please

So I decided to do a full rebuild of my B275 engine and after pulling the first 2 cylinder sleeves l have found hairline cracks at the thinnest point between cylinders 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 (see photos). I have little experience with these engines and rebuilding in general so I'm looking for advice from those with more experience than me in this field. Maybe this is normal on the BD144 engine?

I'm thinking that once the new sleeves are in place and  the head gasket is in place, these cracks will make little difference but I could be very wrong. If I am wrong (its not unusual!) are there any other options or is the block scrap?

crack1.jpg

i have seen this problem on quite a few engines. i know of one b 275 out there that had a rebuild done on it and it had these cracks as well, seemed to run just fine after it was broke in good. i have also seen this problem on wd, wd45 allis chalmers, they were terrible for that.

A cousin had an 88 Oliver that was cracked like that between all cylinders. I drilled across the block between all the cylinders and ran long bolts through, squeezing the cracks together. Put the head back on and ran it for years!