Sign in to follow this  
hanniedog

Time change

5 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Thinking that you're aviation type, wonder'n if you've been into Newfoundland, we used to go into Stephenville (Harmon) and St. John's (Pepperill)  and the "Goofy Newfy's" time, half hour.

best, randy

Used to do Gander, Goose, and St. Johns all the time. New planes overfly them all now. The one I don't miss at all is Frobisher Bay. Not Newfoundland but Nunavut - friggin cold in the winter and swarming with mosquitoes in the summer. Descend from altitude and it's no warmer on the ground than it was at FL450. Still stopping occasionally at KEF or Helsinki for mid-east trips, Osaka for Indonesia or Malaysia when going west-bound.

There's a few other places with 1/2 hour time zones; India is one as well as Burma. My old room mate said Iran is 1/2 hour. I only fly over it, don't want to land there.  All of China is one zone! It's easy but it's only really right the way we think of it in Beijing and Shanghai. When you get over to Chongqing  where I used to fly it really should be another zone. The whole country should be 3 or 4 zones but central planning reigns!

I think the bigger issue is no one likes more dark, whether it's in the morning or the evening.