Sign in to follow this  
Birdman

Opinions on tractor upgrade

Recommended Posts

I need a tractor for a 900 16rw planter, wondered what the popular suggestions are. Price range $20-$40K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7150 magnum, although a 92-9330 may be cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

7150 magnum, although a 92-9330 may be cheaper.

Nice.... 

We bought a 900 12 row 30" vertical fold out of Iowa and the previous owner had a 1086 in front of it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 row wide is what about 50’ of planter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40' wide. 16x30"=480"/12"=40'

Lol, I've been pulling mt 16 row planter with my little 3088 for the last two years. It would never pull it in conventionally tilled ground I'm sure but it chugs right along in my zero till. It's too hard on it though and I can't plant as fast as I'd like. Flat ground isn't too bad but my terraced fields give it a workout. Also considering I double plant everything to get 15" rows it's just too much of a work load on the little tractor. I'm not planning on doing it again for 2018. My 6788 gets used for sprayer duty already, I don't want to give it any more workload and put it on the planter. My 3088 isn't heavy enough for my 1200 gallon sprayer or I'd switch things around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birdman where are you located? There is a 7130 mfwd for auction on 11-11 near Liberty Center Ohio.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hanniedog said:

Birdman where are you located? There is a 7130 mfwd for auction on 11-11 near Liberty Center Ohio.

 

I'm over in MO/KS, about 75 miles south of KC.

I won't go to an auction anyway, I hate auctions. Thanks for pointing it out though ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

16 row wide is what about 50’ of planter?

16x36"=48'.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

16x36"=48'.  

Lol, well he did say "about".

My thinking on the 16rw planter was I got a good deal on it and it was in good shape, I wanted a split row and had been using an 8 row for years for corn and a 15' drill for beans. I don't like 30" rows for beans but I don't like the poor precision from a drill. I figured with a 16 row planter, even double planting I'd be basically the same time scale as planting with an 8/15 split row.

After doing that for two years..it works but that second pass eats your soul, lol. I had fantastic beans this year over the entire farm doing it but I sure could have made good use of the extra time it took me to plant that second pass. I don't exactly want to spend $60k for a split row 12/23, which would be ideal so I'm going to try to do the double plant thing again in 2018 and make up some time with a bigger tractor that handles the planter better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

16x36"=48'.  

Wide rows here are 38”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Lol, well he did say "about".

My thinking on the 16rw planter was I got a good deal on it and it was in good shape, I wanted a split row and had been using an 8 row for years for corn and a 15' drill for beans. I don't like 30" rows for beans but I don't like the poor precision from a drill. I figured with a 16 row planter, even double planting I'd be basically the same time scale as planting with an 8/15 split row.

After doing that for two years..it works but that second pass eats your soul, lol. I had fantastic beans this year over the entire farm doing it but I sure could have made good use of the extra time it took me to plant that second pass. I don't exactly want to spend $60k for a split row 12/23, which would be ideal so I'm going to try to do the double plant thing again in 2018 and make up some time with a bigger tractor that handles the planter better.

 

I used to drill and 15” rows then went back to 30’s for convenience and time and seed savings. Very little difference in yield and  chem cost was same but saved on seed.

 

you kept saying 16rw I assumed the w meant wide rows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree on a 7150 or a small Steiger for a 950 16 row. We have a 12row 30" 950 with liquid fertilizer behind our IH 5088 FWA and it is plenty in our hills. Lotta tongue weight for a small tractor. Tractor has enough power, but feels light when going down our steep hills. My cousins run two FWA MX270s, duals all around, and pull their 16 row planters without any problems in the hills. I have seen MX270's occasionally around the 40K mark, but with higher hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I used to drill and 15” rows then went back to 30’s for convenience and time and seed savings. Very little difference in yield and  chem cost was same but saved on seed.

 

you kept saying 16rw I assumed the w meant wide rows.

Nah, just short for row, sorry for the confusion.

I tried some 30's last year to save time and the yield loss was just terrible compared with my split row beans. I reset the planter to double the populations in the 30's but I suspect I didn't get it turned up quite enough so the yield loss may have been partly my fault. I have seen studies though that showed significant yield increases with 7.5" rows and 15" rows over 30" rows but not much difference between the 7.5 and 15" spacing. Besides I like the faster closing canopy of the narrow spacings. I try to cut out all the herbicides and spray passes I can and the canopy coverage helps a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL there is a 2+2 over by Underwood MN for sale! That should handle your planter!:lol: Noticed it driving past the other day.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, don't get me wrong, I love my old 6788 but I'd prefer to have something newer without the pivot and an upgraded hydraulic system. That old planter is also a load on the PTO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen quite a few 4850's with mfd in the mid 20's on Craigslist lately........if that would be your thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Seen quite a few 4850's with mfd in the mid 20's on Craigslist lately........if that would be your thing.  

Blasphemy!!!!:lol:

I don't know that I'd rule it out completely, they're a good looking tractor. I've never been a JD fan.

 

I am also looking at a couple of interesting MFWD 7130's. They should be more than enough tractor to do what I need given I've been using a 2wd 3088.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this