Looking for a little insight here, guys in Central Ne battling dropped ears of corn and down corn. Some will be raking it up, then fallow with a pickup head....

Here's my question: What's the best way to rid all this loose corn that scattered on the ground. 

Plow???

Will a disk chisel with twisted shovels do justice or not??? 

Thanks!!

Leave it untouched and rodents will clean it up over winter. Plowing it under will insulate it in the ground over winter and next year tons of volunteer corn.

41 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Leave it untouched and rodents will clean it up over winter. Plowing it under will insulate it in the ground over winter and next year tons of volunteer corn.

I would think letting it be be best too. Inland here they would run a wire and put some steer out.  Amazing how they gain on post harvest field.  Anything will just make a mess now I think.

If a lot of corn hogs would be better, cattle may founder.

Couple hundred thousand snow geese will take care of a quarter section in a day or two. 

That is what going on here in central ND today even with 3-6 inches of new snow on the ground yesterday and today. You can hear them a mile or so away.

12 minutes ago, Timothy56 said:

Couple hundred thousand snow geese will take care of a quarter section in a day or two. 

That is what going on here in central ND today even with 3-6 inches of new snow on the ground yesterday and today. You can hear them a mile or so away.

Sounds like a blast!

7 minutes ago, Scott! said:

Sounds like a blast!

Blast away I think the daily limit is 20 or may be its 30.

I rented a farm a few years ago that was harvested late and had a bunch of corn on the ground.  We tried to run cows on it that fall but it was a mess and I finally gave up.  Moldboard plow in the spring took care of it.

bill

We had a windstorm knock down a bunch about five years ago and disked in what was left on the ground,  hoping for it all to sprout before disking it again. We were doing corn on corn and thought it would be ok, we were wrong, boy that volunteer has a strong will to live. If your using roundup corn and doing corn again, look for a strait liberty corn or if rotating to beans, use a liberty bean so a least you can kill the volunteer corn.  Unfortunately, a lot of corn varieties are now both roundup and liberty tolerant.

Even if you planted roundup beans there are still herbicides available to kill corn in them.

"Even if you planted roundup beans there are still herbicides available to kill corn in them."

Correct. We used to have our spraying hired out and used Select to control our volunteer during our post spray in our roundup beans and got decent control, but still a few escaped. Our neighbor planted Liberty beans in a field he had roundup corn in the year before, and he sprayed liberty during his post spray and it totally smoked that volunteer corn. I was impressed. 

8 hours ago, BILLZ1486 said:

Looking for a little insight here, guys in Central Ne battling dropped ears of corn and down corn. Some will be raking it up, then fallow with a pickup head....

Here's my question: What's the best way to rid all this loose corn that scattered on the ground. 

Plow???

Will a disk chisel with twisted shovels do justice or not??? 

Thanks!!

From what you said you must be baling the corn stalks for cattle feed.  Do you plant on ridges?  Have some friends just east of you and they ridge till and always split the ridges and that' buries a lot of ears .

Do you do most your tillage in the fall if so i would disc it and at least let some decay over the winter and then it would start to grow early in the spring you could field cultivate before planting 

Ive had good luck just leaving it alone. The critters clean up a bunch, some of the rest will rot, and then I plow it in the spring. I have had decent luck with minimal work.

Let it come up next spring and work it or spray it, there are herbicides like others have mentioned that will eliminate it in a bean field. Like mentioned above, too much will founder a cow herd

17 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Ive had good luck just leaving it alone. The critters clean up a bunch, some of the rest will rot, and then I plow it in the spring. I have had decent luck with minimal work.

This

Turn the hogs loose ,they fatten up quick , with those tuff noses you won't have till it next spring they will do it for free 

Agwest feed in burwell Nebraska sells a mineral  that works well to prevent founder on down corn.  Guessing it's a bunch of sodium bicarbonate in the mineral, but don't know.  I've never used it.  Have heard of people that have used it successfully.  My feed man didn't endorce it, but says it'll get the job done if needed.

If you do talk with ag west have plenty of time.  He could sell snow to a snow fence.

Helena Chemical sells a product called Tapout that will eliminate volunteer corn in Soybeans.  It will also smoke any grasses you may have.  It's about $10 per acre, which isn't to far off what deep tillage costs.