Sign in to follow this  
ccrider

International 250 Loader

Hello I am new and looking for some information on a track loader I got. I have been doing some work fixing a few things on the unit, staring with filter changes and flushing the cooling system  and replaced bottom radiator 3 inch hose but I don't have allot of information on the unit as far as year. It has a drott 6 and one blade and runs good but has some hydraulic leaks on one of the ram cylinders and a spring and cylinder next to the seat (is the spring under a load or can it be unbolted without anything special as to rebuild the cylinder? It also drips diesel somewhere at the bottom of injector pump. Here is the info on the tags 250 loader L250P 4844 2510

20160305_181315.jpg

20160305_181713.jpg

By the serial number, It appears to be an early (2nd year) 1964 machine

Strong ,powerful machine :)

Thanks for the info, trying to get it back in good shape. I am using it on my property to build levies on my fields for duck hunting lease. I haven't used it yet trying to work major bugs out first. Here was the radiator pre flushing, was a major job.

20160307_114118_001.jpg

The large spring and cylinder next to the seat is part of the "Hydro-cushion" that Drott put on their loaders, it cushions the hydraulics and supposed to take the stress off the machine when operating. It also is supposed to help when digging with the bucket, the big cylinder will load up the spring and then the spring returns the pressure to the hydraulics during break out. I have never tried or heard of anyone taking the spring off to take the cylinder out. I have no idea how much preload is on that big spring, as there are four long bolts, about an inch diameter that hold it down. There is a 1/4 turn shut off in the hydraulic line just before it goes into the bottom of the cylinder, and if it is leaking bad you can turn it off and eliminate the hydro cushioning. I don't see that it makes a whole lot of difference.

George

Thanks that did the trick, it took all the load off the spring once the fluid leaked our of cylinder. 

Neighbor had one. What a beast.

I still got my ole 250 -c-series III.--( MOOSE as it got named)--- It has the 4 in 1 loader, dvt 573 v-8 motor , power shift,power steering, the whole 9 yards and I have done many,many hours of digging with it. There is a short video of it that my wife took a few years ago and posted., so you can kinda see what it looks like.--Two years ago a neighbor hauled it up to the thresher show when they had IH as the featured company.---No one around here ever heard of a 250,---biggest known here was the 150. thanks sonny

This should be one of the vids.---there are 3 of MOOSE on you-tube plus other vids of us doing all kinds of stuff!

The day this was made the wind was rough and the wife had a hard time getting it, but it gives a bit of an idea what you can do with these big guys! I have also done land clearing with it and brush piling along with concrete floor/foundation removal and even railroad track removal. ( contracted to remove a 1/4 mile section of abandoned rr line) 

I had to do a major cooling system flush too and its not fun.---Back flushing helps a lot, but I went right into the block with high pressure water hose and LOTS of water to get mine clean, and have never had a problem since.---

Some of the older 250's did have the inline six as opposed to the v-8.----Both are good engines,---I always thought the inlines had more torque, but that may not be the case in these loaders.--The ole 573 has never bogged down or stalled on me and I have been in places that I should'nt have been!---One last thing,----I do strongly suggest that you never get it stuck!!!!! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

Guessing it's a 250B, I had one like Sonny's a C. If you can plumb a garden hose into the system somewhere is the best, like at the bottom radiator hose, the problem is going to be the engine oil cooler, lot's of small tubes, if it's got one. I once picked up a 53ft semi trailer from the end so we could set it for a bridge, put the old girl right on her nose but managed to get it set.