hillskinefarms

Remembering the farm crisis

Stumbled across this video a few days ago, tough times back in the 80's.

I noticed at the end of the video John is wearing an FFA jacket. Anyone know if John Mellencamp was a former FFA member?

Always liked his music, hate the fact that he is a douchebag liberal.

I watched the video just a few days ago.  Noticed the FFA jacket too.  I wonder whatever happened to the three guys at the beginning of the video?

Al

from Oklahoma (City's?) Journal Record, about the FFA jacket:

Its guidelines don’t mince words. The jacket is for members only. Current members, at that. The last time I wore my jacket was at the state FFA convention in 1982. My time was up. I hung it up and, having so much respect for the organization, wouldn’t dare wear it as a non (although former) member.

Sure, occasionally you’ll see someone wearing it who was never was a member and doesn’t understand what it represents. Or, you’ll see a former member using it to make a statement. (John Mellencamp, himself a former FFA member from Indiana, wore it toward the end of his 1985 Rain on the Scarecrow” video. Yes, it was a violation. But I admit, it made me proud.)

When I was in FFA in the early 90s, there was a story told that Pres. Reagan requested a FFA jacket with his name, etc. on it for him to display.  National FFA turned him down......

There was also a stink about the band The Kentucky Headhunters wearing FFA jackets at some of their concerts.  At that time FFA made a corduroy jacket for FFA advisors that looked a lot like the official jacket.  I believe that is what they actually were wearing.

No worries about me trying to wear my old jackets.....it's a matter of dimensions. :unsure:

Al

Thanks Bill, never knew that about John Mellencamp.

Like you, I am a proud former FFA member. Best thing about high school for me.

3 hours ago, SMiller said:

Always liked his music, hate the fact that he is a douchebag liberal.

I just spit coffee all over my computer literally! That's funny

I agree with you guys, best part of high school, respect for the jacket, dimensions,etc. I still have both of mine, chapter and district officer. I have a story about John M. This is second or third hand info, so take it for what it's worth. A few guys 3-4 were out riding Harley's near Bloomington. One of them thought he knew where John lived. They decided to go see if he was home. Rode up the non-discript drive to the mansion on the hill and knocked on the door. John himself answered and invited them in, apparently he acted pretty cool about the invasion, talked  Harleys, music, etc. Told them to stop again. Like I said it didn't happen me so I have no clue if any of it is true. 

I fail to see the big deal. If FFA was a tuff organization to get into with extremely high standards I could see where the jacket as a symbol was that important. From my very first exposure to FFA I did not walk away with a favorable view. We move to MN in the summer of 71 and rented a house in a rural town while my parents went farm shopping. The school there said I had to take AG as a filler course. That was great, I wanted to learn. The teacher told me and a few other students in AG for their first year that we would not be able to earn anything higher than a C if we failed to join FFA. Sorry you guys make it sound as if you hold a jacket in the same esteem I hope you hold for our flag. 

Rick

We had a good FFA  program. I learned more in there than all the rest of high school about real life and how to function in the real world. I t was a very good program. We did not all have our own jackets, we had used ones from previous students. Small school full of farm kids and very tough times. Mom and Dad were not going to buy any kid a new FFA jacket. Remember the 80's well as a kid and it was tough for sure. Dad nearly lost our farm, I remember people coming to look at machinery he had for sale. Somehow though he came up with a plan and everything stayed.

8 hours ago, hillskinefarms said:

Like you, I am a proud former FFA member. Best thing about high school for me.

looking through 50+ years ago glasses.... learning and testing came easy to me all along. but by the time i was a senior and accepted at Cornell, i didn't care about school. except ag class and FFA. so its fair to say that those activities were a big part of getting me through high school.

my jacket must have come from the same factory as Al's jacket- it doesn't fit me any more.

31 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

I fail to see the big deal. If FFA was a tuff organization to get into with extremely high standards I could see where the jacket as a symbol was that important. From my very first exposure to FFA I did not walk away with a favorable view. We move to MN in the summer of 71 and rented a house in a rural town while my parents went farm shopping. The school there said I had to take AG as a filler course. That was great, I wanted to learn. The teacher told me and a few other students in AG for their first year that we would not be able to earn anything higher than a C if we failed to join FFA. Sorry you guys make it sound as if you hold a jacket in the same esteem I hope you hold for our flag. 

Rick

To myself and anyone who wore the jacket and took advantage of the opportunities the FFA offered/offers, it is pretty special.  It represents premier leadership, personal growth, career success, respect of others, love of country, and a dozen other positive attributes many young people are lacking today.  Part of the etiquette of the FFA jacket is it is not to be worn by non-members. Unenforceable but that’s the policy.  That’s why Reagan didn’t get a jacket to display; he was was never a member.

Technically,  FFA is an integral (it is co-curricular not extracurricular) part of the high school ag. program.  If you read the federal charter literally, a teacher can claim grounds for lowering a student’s grade for not joining, and way back in the day that did happen often.  It doesn’t happen now for obvious reasons.

Al

The FFA jacket was worn proud by most that had one and their lifestyle was not one of troublemaker or just plain jerk. That said, I knew Mr. M. in his school days. We never felt the desire to imitate him, and still would not. Enough said.

4 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Rick

Blah blah blah

Same crap from you different day...

Dont worry thiers no way my jacket would ever fit me now! Haha

I WAS IN FFA FOR 4 YEARS. WON STAR GREENHAND AWARD. WAS A OFFICER. SECRETARY MY LAST YEAR. STILL HAVE JACKET. WAY NO IN H**L WOULD IT FIT ME NOW.

I was in the FFA my Jr. and Sr. years, graduated in '72. Was the chapter Sgt. At Arms my Sr. year.  If I remember right, didn't some chapters have a white jacket for a chapter sweetheart?

2 hours ago, SMiller said:

Blah blah blah

Same crap from you different day...

Not really man. Just was not a real good way to indoctrinate someone into FFA. Now don't get me wrong. I don't see anything wrong with FFA. But I was a teen from NJ who was taught to question things. Telling me I had to take AG was ok, part of the standards of the school in that day. Telling someone they have to join a club or organization for a grade is no better than a college professor marking a student down because of political views. What was wrong there was the teacher who was in charge of FFA there trying to force students into joining. I still don't feel that the jacket rules are that great. Heck there are federal laws about civilians wearing a military uniform that they don't enforce. It still ain't a flag.

Why this is a problem for you I don't understand. Everyone has the right to an opinion. I may disagree with your opinion but I still respect your right to yours.

Rick

18 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Not really man. Just was not a real good way to indoctrinate someone into FFA. Now don't get me wrong. I don't see anything wrong with FFA. But I was a teen from NJ who was taught to question things. Telling me I had to take AG was ok, part of the standards of the school in that day. Telling someone they have to join a club or organization for a grade is no better than a college professor marking a student down because of political views. What was wrong there was the teacher who was in charge of FFA there trying to force students into joining. I still don't feel that the jacket rules are that great. Heck there are federal laws about civilians wearing a military uniform that they don't enforce. It still ain't a flag.

Why this is a problem for you I don't understand. Everyone has the right to an opinion. I may disagree with your opinion but I still respect your right to yours.

Rick

Could your life be anymore miserable I have never seen a positive comment from you on anything 

11 minutes ago, Deerefarmer said:

Could your life be anymore miserable I have never seen a positive comment from you on anything 

That's not true, he loves 8N tractors...

8 minutes ago, SMiller said:

That's not true, he loves 8N tractors...

Lol

All because someone dares to disagree.......

Rick

6 hours ago, Deerefarmer said:

OK, I'm calling you on that remark. I have indeed made positive comments on here. And guess what? I really don't care what you think of me:lol:! My life is far from miserable ROFL! Gee all cause I don't much care for the letter series tractors? Or because I don't think there is anything special about an FFA jacket? I didn't say anything bad about FFA, just stated what my experience was and even blamed it on the leader of that chapter.

I wore the US Army uniform from 74-96. I don't like seeing people who never served wearing it. They do it all the time. After they get out (not so bad they earned it) those who just wear it and actors in movies. I does nothing to marginalize me if they do. Only bothers me when they are wearing awards for valor they didn't earn.

Heck this will rub you the wrong way........I know of at least 2 farmers who were in FFA who wore their jackets after the were no longer members until the jackets wore out! Neither one is one to let something useful go to waste. What did/does that hurt?

Rick