Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Peanuts, Filberts, and other stuff....

Been all over the world, but still a midwest Corn and Cattle guy at heart. (dad didn't raise soybeans) So I'm always interested to hear about other crops.

I don't remember ever hearing anyone talk about growing Peanuts. Do we have any peanut farmers here, and tell us about what it takes to grow them.

Filberts. One of my favorite winter snacks to sit by the stove, eat Filberts and get parts of the shells in my chair. (the wife usually sends me and the mutt to the wood shop. Seems I don't do a good enough job of cleaning up) Only time I ever had them as a kid in the 50's, mom would get some and put them in the 'nut bowl' for Christmas. Tony, do they raise Filberts in California? Never heard you mention them.

Randy, I was on a plane once and a member of the crew used to be a mechanic at Offutt. He said they used to scoop  Walnut hulls into jet engines to clean them. I assume it was to get any carbon buildup out. Tell us?

It's an 'inquiring minds' sort of an afternoon.

Filberts--------another blast from the past!!!

I haven't had them since I was a kid!!! (and that's been a WHILE!!!)

Mike

41 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Randy, I was on a plane once and a member of the crew used to be a mechanic at Offutt. He said they used to scoop  Walnut hulls into jet engines to clean them

Yup sure did! Was a standard practice to inject them for that.  Didn't toss  them by hand tho, some other way.  I forget now exactly what the terminolgy was for doing that.  Someone else on here may recall the term?

best, randy

At Christmas time dad would buy a big bag of mixed nuts and a bag of peanuts. Would be a big bucket of nuts we would pick walnuts and hazelnuts out first and of course he would get a separate bag of peanuts. Kind of wintertime fun for us. Had long black coated nuts in also I think Brazil nuts but we had another name for them. Now I will have to go get a bag of nuts for them.

I really don't know much about growing peanuts other than it takes fairly sandy soil. But a friend that lives west of Lubbock, Texas farms in sandy soil and a neighbor of his was harvesting peanuts a few weeks ago and he sent me a few pics.

First is a digger that digs the peanuts and then turns them over. Then they use a Amadas combine (built on a JD chassis and powertrain) to harvest.  Then the peanuts are dumped into a big shaker to get rid of most of the dirt dust.  Then hauled to a "elevator" type storage facility for drying and storage.

peanut digger-maple, texas.jpg

peanut harvest- maple, texas.jpg

peanut harvest-shaker.jpg

peanut harvest-shaker-1.jpg

8 hours ago, dale560 said:

long black coat...nuts....I think Brazil nuts but we had another name for them

Same for us at Christmas.  You made me recall tho on the airline when a couple of us were sent down to Bolivia to train the Lloyd Aereo Boliviano DC-6 pilots.  Remembering that at several airports in the NE portion of the country where we'd load the cargo compartments full of Brazil nuts and haul them away to be shipped to the US.  

Thinking now about your mention of another name, hadn't thought of it for years and years now,  "_ - - - - - toes"?

best, randy

Yes that was what everyone called them years ago. Now we have to be more correct. One more nut in the mix though with the other three and I will have to look up that one. My mom talks about when they were young in the 1940s they got oranges in their stockings thought they went to heaven.

24 minutes ago, dale560 said:

mom talks about when they were young in the 1940s they got oranges in their stockings thought they went to heaven

Yup, you brought back some old memories of them describing the Depression era times, recall her identical description.

BTW, "one more nut" - Filberts?

best, randy

Found a picture of the exact mix. Makes me anxious for christmas. I think almonds are the other nut.

IMG_1713.PNG