Cindy acre

Woods bush hog ???

Looking at a bush hog are these any good don't know model number either help help thank you 

00303_7n294wufKxx_600x450 (1).jpg

Seller show/let you run it? How wide? 5 ft? How much?

9 minutes ago, Cindy acre said:

5 ft $150.00 do u know the model and how old 

$150 is a steal for any brand. Your H will handle it easily. 

Is it close so you can hook it up and run it?

Many of them leak gearbox oil underneath but at $150, I`d fill the gearbox with greasegun grease. 

Both of mine are full of grease, not gear oil.

Dont know the model but it looks old and like it has been sitting for a while. $150 is cheap but i would plan on it needing some repairs for that price unless owner can run or let you and prove otherwise. And even then it might still need some

Is that really a 3 blade mower or is that belt system  design for stump slippage?

It`s hard to tell in the pic but as shallow as the deck is, it looks like a 3 blade which I myself wouldn`t want. 

Looks like it s an old Woods C80, I racked up quite a few hours with one behind an H and a 300. It will work an H in high grass.  They still make a similar model; the D80.  As said, if it works ok you might get a deal, but make sure it does otherwise its just scrap metal unless you can fix it cheap.

I would try to rotate the PTO shaft and see if everything rotates smoothly. Looking at the triple VEE belt I bet it is crusty and will fail with in the first hr of mowing. Check the gearbox for oil and check backlash.

Agree it looks kind of like a C80.  IIRC our C80 had dual spindles and the same type of belt drive.  Oil seems to leak out of the gear box on most old mowers.  Agree nothing wrong with filling it with grease.  For the price I dont think you will find another one.

My dad had a 6 or maybe 7 ft Woods cutter like that.  Bought it in late 40's----early 50's for cutting cotton stalks behind a Farmall M.  And we mowed grass with it.  Actually installed a rockshaft and hyd cylinder in lieu of mechanical lift.  Ran grease in gear box for years.

Just finally wore it to the bone-----spindle bearings, idler bearings, etc------resulting in belts jumping off or slipping.

Good old cutters for their day------- but obsolete by today's standards.  (I did replace it with a new Woods 3 pt in about 1970------about time to replace it now)

Offer $50----$100.  You will need to spend some dollars for repairs somewhere sometime soon.  The belts act as the slip clutch-----but can burn out from slipping if you are not careful.

DD

I think id just find a decent regular bush hog. That belt will cost you probably about as much as the cutter. You know if you get much use with that belt youll be lucky. If you don't mind buying that belt then go for it, its cheap enough.

Save up and buy something newer; plenty out there. The first thing that breaks will put you behind the curve. $50 and a set of belts, run it 'til it breaks, maybe.

I have a similar mower and it’s three separate belts. Still not cheap though

That mower has one advantage over the 6 ft Brillion mower that was so popular around home back in the 1960's.  I know there were 5-6 of them within 4 miles on our road.  That Woods has a 3 u-joint pto shaft, can make tighter turns without hammering the entire drive line like a 2 u-joint pto does.

The belt is a minus, one belt fails and goes thru a pulley under the other two belts and you have three broken belts.  Manual lift looks crude.

That is really more of a finish mower than a bush hog or stalk chopper.  The Brillion I pulled over so many acres would actually leave a real nice looking yard if you cut the grass/weeds to 3-4 inches tall when it was only 6 inches tall.

If you're planning on mowing much area I would definetely find something newer and less complicated.  Service Rhino, Bush Hog, a heavier Woods, even Deere are brands to look for.

I have the same mower only older, I think. Mine has the height adjustment on the individual wheels in the back. I got it from a guy who said his Dad bought it new when he bought his Farmall A. The problem I had was finding blades for it. The ones on it were beyond worn out but I still used them for about 10 years of light duty. Then I hit something and bent one so it couldn't be used any more. I couldn't find any replacements and ended up making some instead. Of course, until this thread I didn't know it was a Woods C80, but even so, the woods blade has a 7/8 hole and mine are 5/8ths. I paid $300 for mine about 15 years ago and mainly pull it with the Farmall C for clipping the seed heads off of about 20 acres of pasture. Mine only had 2 of the 3 belts on it when I got it and I've never put the 3rd one on. It's been a great mower.