Sign in to follow this  
russ_alabama

farmall axle planter sprocket

6 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Interesting operation-----never been around much modern hay equipment.

Looks as if hydraulic drive might simplify things------keep you in a much more versatile situation tractor wise???

What is the use of the alfalfa-----have always enjoyed the smell of it.

Where are you located in Alabama?  My son lives in Cleveland, Alabama (north of Birmingham).

I am situated along the Mississippi River (south of Greenville) in the Delta------not much livestock in the area.

DD 

DD, I looked again after my sun lunch nap.  ... Cleveland is closer to Cullman than I realized... he's an hour or a bit more from me... so, I'm near to Anderson.  Tiny spot on the map.  Lot smaller than Cleveland... ha... he's got a stop in the highway and a elementary school and grocery.  Our elementary closed, our highway don't stop in town, and we have a dollar store and a nice fish restaurant.  Used to be mostly a farming and small textiles factories region 30yrs ago.  Now, less farming, or mostly a few larger operation folks, and factories shipped out.  Alabama ain't too bad a place... more nice old tractors and implements up north and in larger crop regions like yours, I guess, tho.  I keep mining Craig's up north in a days driving distance in the farm section.  Been getting over the shut down gall bladder removal, so this weekend I'm mowing yard again, but no lifting.  Next weekend, I'm back to normal work.  Just starting eating normal food... went 6wks on turkey on wheat, three meals a day, zero fats, before removal and a week after... this weekend, I had steak and burgers yesterday and today... man... ... catfish is next. :)  

Russ... 

Son is 47-----been working in seismic industry out of Houston for years.  Big lay offs came in oil industry and wife had family in Cleveland----so they sold house in Texas and moved to Cleveland. All of that area has good schools and appealing to them (just not much work In the pay scale range he was accustomed to).   But----In his work he would be travelling a lot anyway.

Now he is back to work in Houston and renting a house approx 2 miles from the house they sold. :o.  Trips back to Alabama on some of his off time.

DD

heres my sprockets off an H that were used on a side dresser I believe- just posting for future reference if someone Googles this topic

I watched the video you suggested and found it interesting since there isn't anything like it around here. I have a bale buncher :blush: I use for a few small squares I make if I am sick and cannot feed rounds with the tractor ( wife can throw a few squares in an emergency)

I saw a W6 with a hydraulic pump driven off the PTO with the spline still usable for PTO use. The guy put a sprocket close the PTO housing and mounted the pump beside the shaft. I did not take pics but it was well designed

sprocket2.jpg

sprocket1.jpg

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

Son is 47-----been working in seismic industry out of Houston for years.  Big lay offs came in oil industry and wife had family in Cleveland----so they sold house in Texas and moved to Cleveland. All of that area has good schools and appealing to them (just not much work In the pay scale range he was accustomed to).   But----In his work he would be travelling a lot anyway.

Now he is back to work in Houston and renting a house approx 2 miles from the house they sold. :o.  Trips back to Alabama on some of his off time.

DD

He's around five years younger than me... I bet that's a interesting field of work... well, that was a big move, but they landed well... lots of folks want in that area, and it's not a bad commute to H'ville.  My commute time is nearly double  at 1.25-1.5hrs each way.  That pay thing is an Alabama deal... I've worked for four electronics companies and they always have issue getting folks with specific skill areas to move to the wages, Alabama aside.  Where Atlanta, Raliagh Duram, Dallas, etc, has a big jump.  But real estate and taxes are cheap here.  Was he in Houston during the storms recently?  I never travel and my brother does a lot.  He's in Germany, the only American in his wife's home village, near Wiesbaden.  Retired military, GS, and contractor.  They're in New Zealand on a trip now.  I ain't seen over 15 states and will never be out of the country.  But brother and I are great friends, talk nearly daily in email, and don't see one another for years at a time.  I'm the hobbit of the two.  

1 hour ago, hillman said:

heres my sprockets off an H that were used on a side dresser I believe- just posting for future reference if someone Googles this topic

I watched the video you suggested and found it interesting since there isn't anything like it around here. I have a bale buncher :blush: I use for a few small squares I make if I am sick and cannot feed rounds with the tractor ( wife can throw a few squares in an emergency)

I saw a W6 with a hydraulic pump driven off the PTO with the spline still usable for PTO use. The guy put a sprocket close the PTO housing and mounted the pump beside the shaft. I did not take pics but it was well designed

sprocket2.jpg

sprocket1.jpg

Appreciate the pic on the side dresser sprocket... Those are a great design... just makes you really admire what IH and others were doing back then... an easy mount without a wheel pulled.  The more I look at the early stuff, I don't see any necessarily better designed things from recent... just designed for different reasons.  

Thats a good video on the accumulator.  That's just like mine, but set up for a little shorter bales and 15 accumulated.  Mines set up for longer bales and 10 at a time.  But the baler he's running is a 565 and is 70 strokes a minute on speed... so the arm can be up and back down in just under a second... he's running with a kubota, so 17gpm flow.  That's a good match.  The 100 on my hesston is where that arm has to be up and back down in near a half second.  

Bale buncher... I went and looked that up... never saw one of those.  Looks like a nice model.  I like having the square bales for some regular feeding also.  It's still more efficient, especially if you have mangers in a building.  Dad did that from the 50s till we went round in he 80s.  Then he tore down the hay feeding shed with all the mangers.  Hauling hands just don't exist much now.  Funny thing is that folks will stop and want to talk to you with a trailer in the field, an hour before dark, half loaded, and want you to stop for that.  Nice of them, but 30yrs ago, folks would have stopped to jump in and help get it up.  Ha.  I have to say, tho, there's two great young neighbor young men that do offer if they come along.  I still enjoy it, but the accumulator sure speeds up the gathering.  

Bunch of folks around here get Maxilator models, made in Atlanta.  They are both grapple fork and collector in one.  One thing I found back when I was looking at accumulators is that it's real regional on where folks use one versus another.  I think the hoelsher is a great model, but I don't have the ideal use case, where non-alfalfa hay, slower balers, higher gpm tractors, larger more navigatable plots, or some combo of those, makes it a better use case for its good design.  But if I can still make it work out apart from the baler, accumulating would be a big help long term.  

Interesting on the w6 pto pump... I never considered chain driving of pto and still having pto available... that'd be a great way, seems like... I once saw a pic of a prince pump that had a shaft extender to drive the pump and have a shaft on further out from there.  

I think I'm going to be going the hydraulic plant path... and obsessively attempting to think of a second use of the plant that justifies better. ha.  

Here's my accumulator and baler... and that old cultivator frame sitting in front is a bad idea still left sitting around... turned around the brillion floating frame to be there for a floating elevator mount... way too heavy for offset from the three point location.  I have some sections from the old little giant elevator to use in the project.    Baler has a quarter turn gate on it now, as cousin also has a new holland balewagon.  It wants them on the side and it don't matter to me for manual hauling. The old M is just getting to ready for clean up.  So much surface rust on it.  

DC4C9EE8-1B49-4C62-BE7C-42309A48B6CB.JPG

26C180F1-F4CC-4B80-9965-8182B4324B5D.JPG

0BF4410D-EB7D-45EA-A52C-A26B78F7D1F3.JPG

114DDA2A-C888-4680-97FA-A93D341AA969.JPG

638ADF62-9F75-452E-849E-9CD6FF22A3AF.JPG

dumb question:

If the accumulator wagon is hooked directly behind the tractor------won't you need a pick up device to feed the bales into the bale through on the accumulator wagon.

As pictured------the bales come directly off the tail of the baler onto the accumulator wagon.  I may be missing something here??

My hay experience is limited to feeding hay to the "famous horse" Wrangler who started out to be the grandchildren's horse and ended up being my best friend.  Had him for near 10 years----my health got slow and I found him a good home in Arkansas.  We didn't know much about baling hay------but Wrangler knew how to process it!!!!

DD 

he is going to use the tube elevator if I follow him correctly. Russ you could ground drive the elevator but the hydraulics would still be lacking on the M

3 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

dumb question:

If the accumulator wagon is hooked directly behind the tractor------won't you need a pick up device to feed the bales into the bale through on the accumulator wagon.

As pictured------the bales come directly off the tail of the baler onto the accumulator wagon.  I may be missing something here??

My hay experience is limited to feeding hay to the "famous horse" Wrangler who started out to be the grandchildren's horse and ended up being my best friend.  Had him for near 10 years----my health got slow and I found him a good home in Arkansas.  We didn't know much about baling hay------but Wrangler knew how to process it!!!!

DD 

Yep, need a pick up elevator... that's right... that'd be running a chain with teeth up and over, and back thru a slot the arm misses, so that the second bale shoves the first bale and the arm lifts, with no third bale there to push the other two... I'll draw it tomorrow and post it... one or both of those old regulator hay elevator sections I show in the pic will be used for guide and frame, the cut and welded and heavier frame added, along with the cogs and such at the ends and pivot points... 

Steffens has their accumulator... it's a marvel to watch operate, with chains and levers... 

http://www.steffensystems.com/bale-accumulators.php

but it they have a pickup kit for their accumulator... notice they have very short bush hog style trailing wheels that work like a zero turn mowers front wheels on the pickup...

http://www.steffensystems.com/oldsite/Accumulators/Options/SA-PT.htm

one difference for them is that actually trail behind a baler like a trailer, without casters for the main table wheels... and side to the table axle stubs lets theirs run lower to the ground than my old hoelsher... you could make pro and con arguments on that topic... my cousin says to fix the casters on mine as non moving and trailer tongue it.  I'd like to not do so massive a set of mods but what I couldn't carry the accumulator to a square baling area and sell it, if none of this works out.  And one could remove the casters and put a long trailer axle under it, except there's stuff under it to hit with an axle across.  Funny little puzzle, all this.   

If I could make my "ground pick up kit" a bolt on, mostly, I could give up later and sell it... or, even if it works well, I could pick up another table in the future, if one went cheap enough, and upgrade to a newer black model with its better casters... 

also, the pick up on a new holland bale wagon would be wonderful to harvest, but finding a parts one of those would be unusual... cousin has one of these, but I can't have anything off it, as it's as nice as the one in this video below... hose hero a bale that on its side to the side... I need to throw a bale that's flat up and back... 

2 hours ago, hillman said:

he is going to use the tube elevator if I follow him correctly. Russ you could ground drive the elevator but the hydraulics would still be lacking on the M

That's right... and you'll see in the background of the baler pic I posed the old Henry I have standing back there... it's a kneib brand, but the same deal... we used those for years with a grain truck... so reliable... you can only turn left though... I don't mind harvesting it for the project, as I bought it later, and it ain't one Dad had.  But, ground driven is hard, with the table as a caster wheel deal, and those tires on Henry would have to be on the ground where the rear tires of the tractor are, or you'd drag them sideways.  And with a 7ft tractor width, that nice opening to the Henry is too wide to go down the two lane roads with.  The Steffens pick up is close to what I need, or maybe really more kin to what new hollands bale wagon is... 

other thing... since I need to run with two points of pulling on the hoelsher, I need to probably use the three point... but I don't have down pressure... so, I have to also tie down to the drawbar to prevent the table from just flipping up...so, maybe I have a three point frame that sits on he drawbar and then gets pinned... and it has the hydraulic plant, and the the two points of contact with the accumulator... to attach to it... 

it's a puzzle... 

An inlet and angle of pickup like this loader would be nice, but only run up to the 36" or so that opi need to run... and it needs to be on the other side of the tractor... that guy stacking has a art to making a tall stack and staying on it... 

Also, this is a nice reference on the pick up elevator... guy did his own, and the grapple loader tractor is interesting also... 

I think hydraulic drive would be better as well

I would like to see your design !

10 hours ago, hillman said:

I think hydraulic drive would be better as well

I would like to see your design !

Yep, I bet so... I'll try to draw it out today on a white board and send it... I've drawn it a bunch of times, thinking about it.  

You know, back when we were keen on running with the kubota, before we got to night baling, spraying preservatives, and trying to bale multiple plots at a time... we were just thinking of resolving the issue of the third bale getting hit by the returning arm.  We talked about multiple ways, but the thing that would worked fine, seems like, would have been a shoving mechanism on the second bale pushing the first, so that the pare were away from the third bale when valve-actuator was tripped and the arm stood up the bales.  Then you have many inches or more distance from the third bale and the arm could come down with leisure, nothing to hit.  

I kept thinking a short elevator chain run there, and cousin kept thinking a star gear... each case on a hydraulic motor.  With 17gpm, you could rob 2-3gpm and have margin to still have 12+ gpm to run the table.  

But, the whole business of too many things at one time, and width of accumulator on the inline baler, and so on, all makes the standalone operation make sense.  

Ok forgive me if i missed something but if your cousin has a nice newholland bale pickup wagon how come you guys dont just use it?