lucky chucky

DMC stirators

I have a DMC two auger stirator  in my 24 ft bin . I have about 2000 bu of corn in the bin. The inside auger has quit turning . I can't get to it because I can't get a ladder in the door( too much corn). should  I continue to fill so I can reach it by standing on the corn? Also any advise about these darn stirators would be helpful . Thanks. C.J.L.  

I was told that if you have stirators you don't need a hobby.  I find it to be true with my 40 year old stirator I use to help dry rice.

I would fill it up and work on it when you can reach it.  

Thx-Ace

The only other option is to drag a ladder up the outside and in the access door on the roof.I have done it that way before. Not fun.

make sure you have help......too many bin accidents......

I've had to lower a step ladder and even an extension ladder in to the bin, its a PITA no matter what. Fill the bin until you can reach safely is probably best. Check and see if the drive is running and the auger is not turning and if so the clamp that attaches the auger to the drive has loosened or a bolt broke. Some , and I don't remember which have a two piece clamp that has a roll pin that sticks in to a shallow 5/16's ( I think) hole drilled in to the auger shaft. The roll pin snaps off and the auger doesn't turn. Individual motors or gear box drive? Check belts and power, tilt switches and fuses.

We had a DMC Stirrator and took it out and sold it ten years ago and when we were taking it out I saw that it would have given trouble if we had kept using it. So, they are something that doesn't get inspected until it gives trouble and they are a hassle to fix. 

Just fill it.  Fix the problem.  Bad start capacitor on the motor probably.  When you are ready to start it again I have found that its not to big a deal to get them started.  They have a bad rep but actually are fairly simple.  I have 6 dmc stirators.    

bill

On 10/31/2017 at 10:02 PM, lucky chucky said:

I have a DMC two auger stirator  in my 24 ft bin . I have about 2000 bu of corn in the bin. The inside auger has quit turning . I can't get to it because I can't get a ladder in the door( too much corn). should  I continue to fill so I can reach it by standing on the corn? Also any advise about these darn stirators would be helpful . Thanks. C.J.L.  

That's what we do when we have stirrator issues.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:08 PM, acem said:

I was told that if you have stirators you don't need a hobby.  I find it to be true with my 40 year old stirator I use to help dry rice.

I would fill it up and work on it when you can reach it.  

Thx-Ace

That's true. When you have stirrators the last thing you do at night is work on them & first thing you do of a morning is work on them.

8 hours ago, boog said:

That's what we do when we have stirrator issues.

That's true. When you have stirrators the last thing you do at night is work on them & first thing you do of a morning is work on them.

Thats how I roll during early harvest when I am drying alot of corn.   Some of my best red power forum time in the fall is sitting in the top of a bin watching stirrators.  I am not complaining.  They do require some tinkering.    I had to replace a bearing on the second oldest stirrator this year.  Fun.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Don't forget to put a pair of Visegrips or something on the track so the trolley doesn't start to move when your on the ladder Bill!  ( BTDT...:ph34r: Just once though...:unsure:)

I do the vice grip trick.  I also tie the ladder close and tight to the stirator.  This is only the second bearing i have ever replaced.  I have replaced a couple screws.  1 track drive motor.  Repaired a couple auger motors.  Replaced a few of those straps in the center that transmit power to the unit. A mercury switch or two.  Few fuses.   Only ever had one screw auger itself into the floor.  Only once had one jump the track. 

I complain but really they dont bother much considering how much I have used them.

bill

15 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

Thats how I roll during early harvest when I am drying alot of corn.   Some of my best red power forum time in the fall is sitting in the top of a bin watching stirrators.  I am not complaining.  They do require some tinkering.    I had to replace a bearing on the second oldest stirrator this year.  Fun.

image.jpg

image.jpg

How does the auger fasten to the floor ?

They hang down from the top and auger corn up from the drying floor. The stirator goes around the bin and the augers follow the track in and out. 

I have a Sukup in my bin. Not a lot of trouble but it's only 15 years old.  Same principle as the DMC. 

My bin has a power sweep in it so the augers don't go all the way down to the floor. 

25 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

They hang down from the top and auger corn up from the drying floor. The stirator goes around the bin and the augers follow the track in and out. 

I have a Sukup in my bin. Not a lot of trouble but it's only 15 years old.  Same principle as the DMC. 

My bin has a power sweep in it so the augers don't go all the way down to the floor. 

Thanks,  now I have clear picture. Only been around wood & steel cribs. :o

If I had to dry corn with stirrators I'd commit sooey-pig!!!:lol:

I have one in a 30' bin on a rented farm, i haven't used it for several years, I just let the corn on that farm field dry.:lol:  The last time I worked on it, it made it around the bin twice and quit again, haven't touched it since.

I have a Shivvers that all of my corn that needs drying goes through.