AKwelder

Vehicle Diagnostics

Recommended Posts

Well the warranties are over (or nearly so) on our two vehicles, 2011 Subaru and a 2013 Tacoma.  So of course I came home to my wife's Subaru flashing ABS and other dash lights, I drag out my old OBD2 reader and get no communication.  I need to upgrade my code reading, what are you all using? What doesn't work?  

 

I was was looking at the wifi computer software stuff but who knows

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use a Snap On Solus Ultra at work but that probably is not financially feasible for home use.  It works good .  Use Mitchell DIY for wiring diagrams and repair info when we need it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

We use a Snap On Solus Ultra at work but that probably is not financially feasible for home use.  It works good .  Use Mitchell DIY for wiring diagrams and repair info when we need it.  

I just googles it, starts at $500on eBay  and then to the moon, maybe worth talking to my local dealer for a used unit?   Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One I've been looking at is Launch CRP123. Mac tools used to sell them off the truck. Napa sells them here as well. I haven't used one but they're supposed to work good from what I've read. They list all their compatible vehicles on the website. Here they go on sale for around 250-300 dollars. Would expect you could buy it for 200-250 US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a "Bluedriver" tool that works via blue tooth with a tablet or smart phone. Works pretty well for a home owner scan tool. And yes I do have experience with professional level diagnostic scanners. Not as good but not nearly as expensive either. 

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Autoenginuity for my Ford 6.0 diesel.  I hear that the Torque phone app with a OBDII dongle from Amazon if good and cheap if you just want to read the sensors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I use Autoenginuity for my Ford 6.0 diesel.  I hear that the Torque phone app with a OBDII dongle from Amazon if good and cheap if you just want to read the sensors.

I saw the torque comparability note on some plugs, so that's what they are referring to. Does it do ABS and all the other stuff or is it limited to engine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oldtanker said:

I have a "Bluedriver" tool that works via blue tooth with a tablet or smart phone. Works pretty well for a home owner scan tool. And yes I do have experience with professional level diagnostic scanners. Not as good but not nearly as expensive either. 

 

Rick

Is this like the torque.  It's an app that you use a plug with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think so.  It gives real time readout on engine functions.  Autoengenuity is much more complete and cost more too!  I use a ScanGaugeII to read the basics real time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

I saw the torque comparability note on some plugs, so that's what they are referring to. Does it do ABS and all the other stuff or is it limited to engine?

https://www.bluedriver.com/ Take a look and see what you think.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used something similar to old tanker that is a bluetooth plug in and it was well worth it.  Plug it into your diagnostic port in vehicle and it will communicate with an App that you download to your phone and tell you what is wrong. The bluetooth plug in was 20$-something and the app was free to download and it works great on my 03 Duramax and I went the cheap route. I'm sure you can find something similar for your vehicles that is also easy to use. There is a large selection on Amazon and others for these type diagnostic tools and the Apps they use for your phone are usually relatively cheap to free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now